Bill Burr.... Tulsa... CRAP

ArdmoreRyno

Bill Burr is one of my all-time favorite comedians... and he rarely comes down to Texas, let alone anywhere in Oklahoma. 

Well, his tickets for the fall went on sale earlier in the year and I saw it: TULSA! I quickly got seats about 30 rows from the stage, took off work the next day. Fast forward a few months later, NFL season schedule comes out. Bills open at LA on September 8th, 7:20 CST. Just 40 minutes before Burr takes stage in Tulsa. 

Adding to it, his concerts (like most now) require you to put your phone inside a bag where you can't access it for the show. While I know seeing Burr is a once-in-a-lifetime thing, I'm going to be freakin' out wondering what's going on with the game. Not sure if I'll even be able to enjoy the show! #firstworldproblems

• Haha (+1) 2

While I love Bill Burr, I am not missing watching a Bills game live for any show. Unfortunately, watching a taped Bills game is like eating an aged prime steak cold - just isn't the same.

My advice, sell the BB tickets and watch the Bills take their first step on a season of destiny.

Bill, being the huge sports fan that he is, would understand.

His shows usually go for 1 1/2 hours... so I'm going to assume I'll be out my 10 CST. That'll be towards the tail end of the game. 

7:20 CST game start + 3 hours 15 minutes = 10:30 CST (approx) 

8:00 CST concert start + 2 hours = 10 CST 

I'm bad about "record it and watch it later" when I know the outcome has been decided already. I'll probably watch the first of the game and hope I can catch the end of the game. 

27 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

I was getting ready to pull the trigger on van Morrison tickets until I realized it's Thursday night.  🤬

I don’t know if you’d like or hate this, but we saw him recently on his Everything But The Hits Tour. It was good, but on our first time seeing him after years of wanting to, playing a few hits wouldn’t be a crime. 

I would binge some Bill Burr videos on my iPad before I missed a Bills game, but to each their own. I got some Kathleen Madigan tickets before the schedule came out a couple years ago. My wife went with a friend, while I traveled to the game.

1 hour ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Bill Burr is one of my all-time favorite comedians... and he rarely comes down to Texas, let alone anywhere in Oklahoma. 

Well, his tickets for the fall went on sale earlier in the year and I saw it: TULSA! I quickly got seats about 30 rows from the stage, took off work the next day. Fast forward a few months later, NFL season schedule comes out. Bills open at LA on September 8th, 7:20 CST. Just 40 minutes before Burr takes stage in Tulsa. 

Adding to it, his concerts (like most now) require you to put your phone inside a bag where you can't access it for the show. While I know seeing Burr is a once-in-a-lifetime thing, I'm going to be freakin' out wondering what's going on with the game. Not sure if I'll even be able to enjoy the show! #firstworldproblems

I had something similar.  Bought concert tickets with friends and then the NFL season came out.  I thought about it for 2 mins and put my tickets up for sale.  But now the concert was postponed until March!  

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I don’t know if you’d like or hate this, but we saw him recently on his Everything But The Hits Tour. It was good, but on our first time seeing him after years of wanting to, playing a few hits wouldn’t be a crime. 

That would have been a dream show for me.  Then again, I've seen Van a few times. But he doesn't seem to enjoy playing them as much as some of his lesser known stuff. Or maybe he just doesn't enjoy the feeling of HAVING to play the same thing night after night.

7 minutes ago, PastaJoe said:

Just don’t look at the phone. I record many games and start them an hour or more later so I can fast forward through commercials and intermissions. It’s not hard.

I usually go to bed at 9-10 p.m., so I'd be killing myself staying up till 1-2 a.m. watching a replay. 

8 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

While I love Bill Burr, I am not missing watching a Bills game live for any show. Unfortunately, watching a taped Bills game is like eating an aged prime steak cold - just isn't the same.

My advice, sell the BB tickets and watch the Bills take their first step on a season of destiny.

Bill, being the huge sports fan that he is, would understand.

Gotta disagree here. If I can avoid knowing the outcome, watching a recording of the game with no commercials is bliss.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Gotta disagree here. If I can avoid knowing the outcome, watching a recording of the game with no commercials is bliss.

My trick is I DVR the game and start watching it 20 minutes after kick-off. I ff through all of the commercials and end up back live right around halftime. I delay another 20 minutes at the start of the 2nd half and ff the commercials all the way through and end up live at the end with everyone else, but no commercials.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Ironically I just saw Bill Burr at the Keybank Center (Buffalo's hockey arena) last weekend and thought he was hilarious even though that bastard had to bring up the 4 Super Bowl losses, No Goal, and the night Lucic ran Ryan Miller :censored:

But yeah even though I love Bill I don't think I'm missing the Bills opening night game to go see him

On 9/2/2022 at 6:58 PM, BillsPride12 said:

Ironically I just saw Bill Burr at the Keybank Center (Buffalo's hockey arena) last weekend and thought he was hilarious even though that bastard had to bring up the 4 Super Bowl losses, No Goal, and the night Lucic ran Ryan Miller :censored:

But yeah even though I love Bill I don't think I'm missing the Bills opening night game to go see him

If I lived in NY State or Boston, etc..... this would be a no-brainer. But, I live in Southern Oklahoma (90 minutes between OKC and Dallas) and Bill simply never comes to these areas. There are certain "concerts" or people who come around every year... like Dave Matthews Band. He's ALWAYS in Dallas the same time every year.

• Like (+1) 1

if you makes you feel any better, i have my 10th anniversary on thursday.   right now i'm figuring out how to make my wife happy, get my daughter to her practice, and watch the game.  I'll drop my kid off at 5:45, throw a meal down my wife's throat at 6, hope to be done by 7:30 and pick my kid back up at 7:45.  I should be on my couch drinking beers by 8.  this ***** is going to work.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, teef said:

if you makes you feel any better, i have my 10th anniversary on thursday.   right now i'm figuring out how to make my wife happy, get my daughter to her practice, and watch the game.  I'll drop my kid off at 5:45, throw a meal down my wife's throat at 6, hope to be done by 7:30 and pick my kid back up at 7:45.  I should be on my couch drinking beers by 8.  this ***** is going to work.

Prayers! lol

1 hour ago, teef said:

Episode 1 Slow Clap GIF by One Chicago

• Haha (+1) 1

While it always stinks to miss a Bills game, I second the "record the game, stay off social media, watch it after the fact with fresh eyes" notion.

I used to have to work on football Sundays fairly regularly, and this was the only way I could do it. Total media blackout. If co-workers started talking football, it was fingers in my ears and "LA LA LA LA" until it stopped.

Enjoy Burr. I'm sure it'll be a great show. You've got 16 Bills games to enjoy live after Thursday night!

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

If I lived in NY State or Boston, etc..... this would be a no-brainer. But, I live in Southern Oklahoma (90 minutes between OKC and Dallas) and Bill simply never comes to these areas. There are certain "concerts" or people who come around every year... like Dave Matthews Band. He's ALWAYS in Dallas the same time every year.

Yeah I get it...he's definitely the Man!  

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/2/2022 at 9:53 AM, ArdmoreRyno said:

Go to the show, DVR the game, don't look at your phone at all until you get home.

• Like (+1) 1

Having just experienced his show in Buffalo, it was wild to experience not just myself not having a cell phone for 3 hours, but the entire keybank center crowd (12k+ people). Wanna meet up with your friends before the show? Hope you randomly run into them. Everyone walking in the halls looking at people instead of down at their phones. It was liberating to not be so connected and feel like what life used to be like. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I Usually DVR the games and start watching it 2hrs later.

If you fast-forward through commercials and commentary, the game is about 1.5 hrs long, maybe less. Sometimes, I catch up to the live broadcast before it ends.

This is a much more manageable amount of time to justify to the family. Basically two TV episodes.  

Just have to stay off your phone.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Logic said:

While it always stinks to miss a Bills game, I second the "record the game, stay off social media, watch it after the fact with fresh eyes" notion.

I used to have to work on football Sundays fairly regularly, and this was the only way I could do it. Total media blackout. If co-workers started talking football, it was fingers in my ears and "LA LA LA LA" until it stopped.

Enjoy Burr. I'm sure it'll be a great show. You've got 16 Bills games to enjoy live after Thursday night!

That's how I'm looking at it! 

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/2/2022 at 6:53 AM, ArdmoreRyno said:

If I were you I'd go with the best of the two Bills.  The one that makes you laugh not cry and stress.  

• Agree 1

UPDATE

They took our phones, locked them into a bag and only allowed us access in a certain area outside the concession stands. I got to watch the first half of the game at the Bar inside the BOK Center in Tulsa, on the big screen. 

I didn't touch my phone until they unlocked it on our way out the door, by that time the game was over. I managed to avoid ALL news/internet/TV until then. And my dad? Text me "What a Bills blowout!". Sh*t, I tried to avoid everything but my dad f'ed it up. But it was a relief in a way, knowing we dominated the game and won. 

As for Bill Burr? HOLY SH*T, he was epic. 

I *rarely* smoke, maybe once a year? My fiancé does it every evening before bed and I took one hit off her "pen". Since I'm a major lightweight, it hit me BIG. It was hot inside the arena, so add that to the 'high', I was feeling horrible. Then Burr's opening act came out... Bianca Cristovao from the Czech Republic and she was HORRIBLE. There was NOTHING funny about her. So I thought, "Is it the high I'm having or is it this chick? It's going to SUCK if Burr comes out and I feel like this." Well, it was her. 

Darci (my GF) and I were in TEARS for the entire show. He tried to read the room, prodding with topics like guns, abortion, immigration, etc. since Oklahoma is a very RED state. He couldn't figure out where to take the show, so he was at a loss. He made some joke about England and brought up the Queen, which her death had nothing to do with his joke... the crowd did a "Ooooooooooooo" and he was stunned. He said something like, "WHAT THE F*CK? 6000+ miles from England people from Tulsa gives a flying f*ck about the Queen of England? Who would have thought THAT would be the subject to get you guys going." 

Burr was genius and I'm SO glad I went.  Don't pass up the chance to see him live.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

And my dad? Text me "What a Bills blowout!". Sh*t, I tried to avoid everything but my dad f'ed it up.

Glad you had fun, but the second you turned your phone on, you f'ed it up, not your Dad. 

Next time, just leave it at home. You'll probably survive a few hours without it. :nana:

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Simon said:

Glad you had fun, but the second you turned your phone on, you f'ed it up, not your Dad. 

Next time, just leave it at home. You'll probably survive a few hours without it. :nana:

Home is 3 hours away, lol. But yea... I get that. I turned it on because I have two kids and their mother (I'm happily divorced) has been in ICU. 

4 minutes ago, Simon said:

Sorry to hear that, man; hope it all works out. :thumbsup:

Thanks. I think she'll be okay I think... was diagnosed with Guillain-Barre syndrome. She's out of the hospital now, but can't feel her legs. It's weird. But I was getting updates from my girls, since they're worried about her. Both my kiddos are in college (one in Boston and one at Ole Miss). 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.