Training Camp Practice 7/27

YoloinOhio

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

They are only keeping Austin if they feel he is their best option in the return game. If Crowder doesn't make the team that is because they just feel Isaiah and Shakir give them what they need in the slot. 

or if they feel Crowder can’t be relied upon if he’s hurt throughout camp.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, JoPoy88 said:

or if they feel Crowder can’t be relied upon if he’s hurt throughout camp.

So even if that were the case I am not sure that automatically means Austin. It would mean there is an additional spot there to fight for, and maybe Austin gets it, but he would be battling Stevenson and Hodgins. His most direct route to the roster is as a returner. 

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

So even if that were the case I am not sure that automatically means Austin. It would mean there is an additional spot there to fight for, and maybe Austin gets it, but he would be battling Stevenson and Hodgins. His most direct route to the roster is as a returner. 

Agreed but i think stevenson is gone almost no matter what. He’s starting to show something in camp but I don’t think it’ll be enough

7 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I actually don’t think crowder is competing with Austin. I can’t see the Bills signing Austin as a legit option as a WR. Maybe as purely a ST player. But as a WR, the guy hasn’t ever had a season as good as Crowder’s average season. 

I also don’t think it is fair to knock Crowder as being injury prone. Yeah, the guy has missed a few games each season here and there, but that’s not injury prone.  Odds are he plays 12-15 games. I would take that.

I disagree.  Austin and crowder are both competing for 1 of 6-7 WR roster spots on the team.  They’ll be competing against each other 💯.  Crowder is not a lock imo.  His skill level should earn him a spot….  IF he can get on the field and earn it

I disagree.  He is injury prone 💯 

7 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

He’s a scrub. I’d be a bit surprised if they kept him and released Crowder based on training camp/preseason performance considering he’s basically been non existent the past four years and was never really that good to begin with, but they’ve been fooled by practice champions before. See Nathan Peterman. 

Yeah, because you actually watched him play as opposed to just looking at his stats.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

Agreed but i think stevenson is gone almost no matter what. He’s starting to show something in camp but I don’t think it’ll be enough

They generally stick with the guys they drafted. I think if Stevenson show any promise, especially in the return game, he’ll make it. At the least, a PS position. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, CSBill said:

They generally stick with the guys they drafted. I think if Stevenson show any promise, especially in the return game, he’ll make it. At the least, a PS position. 

He's my breakout candidate on O. I think Austin was brought in as his emergency replacement if he doesn't show improvement from an injury plagued rookie season. 

He has a very similar skill set to Austin and Buf immediately made him active when he was healthy , over Hodgins for example,  so I like think they have high expectations 

8 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

He's my breakout candidate on O. I think Austin was brought in as his emergency replacement if he doesn't show improvement from an injury plagued rookie season. 

He has a very similar skill set to Austin and Buf immediately made him active when he was healthy , over Hodgins for example,  so I like think they have high expectations 

They activated him to return punts and kicks. He was active for 5 games and then they went back to McKenzie. 

10 hours ago, Since1981 said:

Camp wages: “get "per diem" payments based on $2,900 per week, and first-year players $1,700 per week”

…while not a clean analysis of the full season wage!!. It’s interesting that they are technically only making $88k to $150k in camp. That’s not much for the risk and effort. 

You left out Turkey Burgers

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

I disagree.  Austin and crowder are both competing for 1 of 6-7 WR roster spots on the team.  They’ll be competing against each other 💯.  Crowder is not a lock imo.  His skill level should earn him a spot….  IF he can get on the field and earn it

I disagree.  He is injury prone 💯 

Yeah, because you actually watched him play as opposed to just looking at his stats.

i have to say that it is always fun to be debating over our 6th or 7th wide receivers. This time of year is great! 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, CSBill said:

He's also an outside WR, which certainly helps his chances.  

I don't even know that his best shot at making the team is as a returner...  I think the coaches are looking at him to show as an actual WR in camp.  

Edited by SCBills

13 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I actually don’t think crowder is competing with Austin. I can’t see the Bills signing Austin as a legit option as a WR. Maybe as purely a ST player. But as a WR, the guy hasn’t ever had a season as good as Crowder’s average season. 

I also don’t think it is fair to knock Crowder as being injury prone. Yeah, the guy has missed a few games each season here and there, but that’s not injury prone.  Odds are he plays 12-15 games. I would take that.

I agree.

Austin is pushing Stevenson off the roster and to PS.

Crowder will push Kumerow off the roster.  However Austin has the potential to at least give you something on offense where Stevenson does not. That's how I see it playing out. 

4 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Hodgins is a figment of your imagination.  A shadow of a player that never was...

Yes they brought Stevenson up and he was not good.

Not saying he can't get better. Like I said in other threads, they know 50 of the 53 guys already. 7th WR is one of the unknown 3

Hodgins is quickly becoming the new Christian Wade.  

A guy who's not going to play for us and I have no idea why he constantly comes up in conversation.  

Diggs

Davis

Shakir

McKenzie

Crowder

Austin

Stevenson

Kumerow

Of the bottom group, they are fighting for 2 or 3 spots.  

Hodgins is a PS guy, at best. 

• Like (+1) 1

If the top 53 is over the cap then I’m wondering where one could trim from, this year or next. Especially considering who needs paid next year (Knox, Davis, Edmunds?)

Matakevich is kind of a ST luxury like Roberts used to be. if only Andre Smith wasn’t suspended. Can Spector move in on that role? Or Kumerow?

Howard is probably not an option to release this year, it’s minimal savings I think. Wydermyer at least sounds like he has a chance if he spends a PS year, Sweeney’s ceiling seems to be “fun at parties.”

The most obvious savings seems to be if Edmunds looks for a payday, that seems far less impactful than Davis or Knox if Bernard shows out. I’d prioritize the offensive continuity.

I guess that’s where Crowder presents. If he’s not clearly ahead of Shakir/McKittrick/Austin or hurt, then it’s hard to find another salary that is underperforming to that degree. Can’t really see anything obvious from another position group, although DB looks a little overweighted particularly for a McD defense where stopgaps do ok typically.

19 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Hodgins is quickly becoming the new Christian Wade.  

A guy who's not going to play for us and I have no idea why he constantly comes up in conversation.  

Diggs

Davis

Shakir

McKenzie

Crowder

Austin

Stevenson

Kumerow

Of the bottom group, they are fighting for 2 or 3 spots.  

Hodgins is a PS guy, at best. 

Crowder is a lock.  The other 3 are fighting for the final position.  

• Disagree 3
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

If the top 53 is over the cap then I’m wondering where one could trim from, this year or next. Especially considering who needs paid next year (Knox, Davis, Edmunds?)

There is absolutely zero chance that the top 53 salaried players are making the team.

A few names below the 53 are as follows:

Tommy Doyle, Reggie Giliam, Khalil Shakir, Christian Benford.

Every team in the NFL has player under the 53 making the team every year.

I wouldn't worry about this at all.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

point well taken. But I still come back to the main sticking point of some arguing that the team would keep Austin over Crowder. Austin is the ultimate flier.  I just don’t see him giving them any meaningful production. 

I dont really take the point about Saffold.  Games with < 95% snap are SEA close win, NYJ loss, Jax rout, Kan rout, NWE loss (89% snaps), Jax rout, Mia rout.  Thats 4 routs, 1 toss up in week 2 and 2 losses (one being close).  He played complete games against all divisional opponents besides Jags and in 4/6 1 score games he saw the field for (both 1 score games he left the field for were in the first quarter of the season).  Lastly, the titans as an org will not get the benefit of the doubt from me when it comes to managing injuries as they ran henry to dust last year.

1 hour ago, Ralonzo said:

Matakevich is kind of a ST luxury like Roberts used to be. if only Andre Smith wasn’t suspended. Can Spector move in on that role? Or Kumerow?

Howard is probably not an option to release this year, it’s minimal savings I think. Wydermyer at least sounds like he has a chance if he spends a PS year, Sweeney’s ceiling seems to be “fun at parties.”

The most obvious savings seems to be if Edmunds looks for a payday, that seems far less impactful than Davis or Knox if Bernard shows out. I’d prioritize the offensive continuity.

I guess that’s where Crowder presents. If he’s not clearly ahead of Shakir/McKittrick/Austin or hurt, then it’s hard to find another salary that is underperforming to that degree. Can’t really see anything obvious from another position group, although DB looks a little overweighted particularly for a McD defense where stopgaps do ok typically.

no savings to be had from cutting Edmunds.  his contract is guranteed this year and since it ends this year we dont save any money next year by cutting him.  so would need to trade him.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/27/2022 at 11:57 AM, Logic said:

I don't wanna say "I told you so", but...

Oh hell, yes I do.

I told you so! Zack Moss is gonna play significant snaps for this offense this year and be productive.

Only if he stops running into the backs of his blockers. Maybe he needs glasses.

3 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

no savings to be had from cutting Edmunds.  his contract is guranteed this year and since it ends this year we dont save any money next year by cutting him.  so would need to trade him.

Yeah, that’s not a near term thing. Just organically worked it’s way in thinking about who on the roster might not make it next year when you-know-who’s extension kicks in. Trade for relief, I doubt that. Bernard won’t be ready for that role this year, and this year is the window. There will be hard choices but that’s why Beane gets wizard bucks; all we can do is guess and say “ganbatte” 😁

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.