Training Camp Practice 7/27

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

How is Austin a ?

Not sure if he has anything left in the tank. 

He’s had an underwhelming career, but if he’s truthful about finally being healthy, I could see his speed/shiftiness being utilized in the McKenzie role - if McKenzie ends up holding down a heavy slot role. 

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

My assumption is that ol Scott is suggesting that Austin is a known quantity, and not a very good one. 

Oh yeah.  He’s definitely suggesting that.  He’s scoffed at the signing from day saying he had no chance to make the team.  

Not that I was confidant that he’d make the team.  I initially thought he maybe had a 33% chance to make the team.  He was a bit redundant considering the WRs we have and has been a bust for the most part. But crowders injury riddled start has to add worry.  We’re emphasizing RAC and Austin is only in the league due to his RAC potential.  He’s starting to make more and more sense when you factor in his reporter work ethic, leadership and character. 

Camp wages: “get "per diem" payments based on $2,900 per week, and first-year players $1,700 per week”

…while not a clean analysis of the full season wage!!. It’s interesting that they are technically only making $88k to $150k in camp. That’s not much for the risk and effort. 

Edited by Since1981

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

He played with Aaron Rodgers and Dak Prescott… the dudes washed at this point. 😅

Wishful thinking and not someone I’d hold onto over Crowder because of a strong training camp… he’s been irrelevant for years now. Can’t believe it’s even a conversation TBH…. Agree with everything else you said about the WRs though. I trust Diggs and believe Davis can have a strong year but he’s still unproven…. The rest of them are question marks or meh…. I don’t get the WR hype either. It’s probably borderline top 15 unit in the league when all said and done on paper as of right now.

And Aaron Rodgers and Dak Prescott are not Josh Allen.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Bernard calling the D. Interesting. Not to make this another Edmunds thread (lord knows we don't need another one of those) but in the context of the decision that we know is coming at some point in the next 9 months that is a very interesting development. I noted Leslie stopped short of saying Bernard's skillset is the same as Milano's the other day too. All he was willing to say was "there is some similarity in size." Maybe they see Bernard as an MLB?

Frazier said today that Bernard is the backup Middle LB behind Edmunds

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, SCBills said:

Love this.  I think Elam is an absolute dog and, after Sauce/Stingley, he's the guy I wanted.  

Would legitimately be surprised if Elam isn't a future star in this defense.   

we had better use him in press coverage, not play him 10 yards off the ball with a playoff game on the line

27 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I think we may have an abundance of talent… For the life of me, I don’t get why people gush over our WR room (at the moment). 

Diggs - elite

Davis - could be a 1A, but we’ll see

That’s it in terms of guys I’m completely sold on. 

…………

McKenzie - Decent role player

Shakir - Intriguing Rookie

Crowder - Good slot WR, hurt a lot 

Austin - ???

Stevenson - ???

Kumerow - No

Could they be great?  Yea, absolutely.  There’s certainly potential, but the reason people fear this passing game is 80% Allen, 20% WR’s, currently.  

well the “passing game” includes the tight ends (which is a better unit this year with Howard) and hopefully the RBs as well (which we hope to be better with Cook and possibly Duke.)

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

well the “passing game” includes the tight ends (which is a better unit this year with Howard) and hopefully the RBs as well (which we hope to be better with Cook and possibly Duke.)

Agreed.   Allen, Diggs, Davis and Knox is potentially up there with any group in the league. 

The slot options “seem” like by end of camp we’ll have a couple solid options to choose from. 

Not really counting on Howard as anything more than a serviceable TE2, but Cook could be an absolute monster in this Offense.  

Outside depth, as has been beaten to death, is worrisome. 

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Really?  Ya think?

They’re going to base their decision on training camp.  If crowder beats Austin out, he’ll have the job.  If he doesn’t earn it, he’ll be cut.  As he should.  He’s often injured and already injured.  Earn it.

I actually don’t think crowder is competing with Austin. I can’t see the Bills signing Austin as a legit option as a WR. Maybe as purely a ST player. But as a WR, the guy hasn’t ever had a season as good as Crowder’s average season. 

I also don’t think it is fair to knock Crowder as being injury prone. Yeah, the guy has missed a few games each season here and there, but that’s not injury prone.  Odds are he plays 12-15 games. I would take that.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I actually don’t think crowder is competing with Austin. I can’t see the Bills signing Austin as a legit option as a WR. Maybe as purely a ST player. But as a WR, the guy hasn’t ever had a season as good as Crowder’s average season. 

I also don’t think it is fair to knock Crowder as being injury prone. Yeah, the guy has missed a few games each season here and there, but that’s not injury prone.  Odds are he plays 12-15 games. I would take that.

I'd caution against box score scouting injuries.

Crowder played in 12 games last year but left 2 of those and didn't return with injuries.

He's been a 500 snap guy 3 of the past 4 seasons despite being option 1 or 1A in his receiving corps...........Beasley, by contrast,  was a very consistent 700 snap guy past 4 seasons despite being a less important option on teams with more receiving threats.

Same injury concern with Rodger Saffold..........he didn't miss a lot of full games in 2021 but he missed 5 games worth of snaps as he gimped in and out of the Titans starting lineup with a chronic shoulder injury.

Bills chose to swap a lot of durable but more expensive players out on offense and replace them with injury fliers or just plain cheaper options........and then funneled the savings into the defense.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'd caution against box score scouting injuries.

Crowder played in 12 games last year but left 2 of those and didn't return with injuries.

He's been a 500 snap guy 3 of the past 4 seasons despite being option 1 or 1A in his receiving corps...........Beasley, by contrast,  was a very consistent 700 snap guy past 4 seasons despite being a less important option on teams with more receiving threats.

Same injury concern with Rodger Saffold..........he didn't miss a lot of full games in 2021 but he missed 5 games worth of snaps as he gimped in and out of the Titans starting lineup with a chronic shoulder injury.

Bills chose to swap a lot of durable but more expensive players out on offense and replace them with injury fliers or just plain cheaper options........and then funneled the savings into the defense.

point well taken. But I still come back to the main sticking point of some arguing that the team would keep Austin over Crowder. Austin is the ultimate flier.  I just don’t see him giving them any meaningful production. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Since1981 said:

Camp wages: “get "per diem" payments based on $2,900 per week, and first-year players $1,700 per week”

…while not a clean analysis of the full season wage!!. It’s interesting that they are technically only making $88k to $150k in camp. That’s not much for the risk and effort. 

Those really high end (for working Americans) camp salary rates are typically in addition to much more impactful guaranteed bonuses; even fringy guys often see 5-6 figure signing bonuses and other built-in escalators for sticking around and performing. Remember, even guys who get waived have opportunities elsewhere and on average last for 2-3 years in the league, even if bouncing around. A FRINGE roster guy can easily make a million or more in his first 3 seasons as a practice squad-ish talent. Where's the risk in that? Working hard year round? Join the club. Takes me 10-15 years of INTENSE workload to match 3 years of earnings as an ultra-fringe PS/Street FA guy. 

And good for the players, don't get me wrong. I love to see wealth transferring to these modern day gladiators. But don't cry for them, either. 

15 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

point well taken. But I still come back to the main sticking point of some arguing that the team would keep Austin over Crowder. Austin is the ultimate flier.  I just don’t see him giving them any meaningful production. 

If Austin were on the Patriots our resident Patriots social media trollers would be starting threads to get everyone to yuck it up about how the Pats fans thought that he was going to be an important contributor.    Dude has literally never had a good season in his 9 year career and is now 32 years old.  

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

The only reason he isn't on a 12 million dollar annual multi-year contract with some other team now is because he's injury prone.  The Bills put two million dollars in modest production incentives in his contract in order to manipulate the cap taking advantage of his down year last season.  I think it's too early to consider him a possible roster cut as he's easily the best slot guy we have when fully healthy.  When the pads come on he needs to be out there though and start developing chemistry with Allen.  The thought of not having a dependable Beasley replacement isn't ideal.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

They are only keeping Austin if they feel he is their best option in the return game. If Crowder doesn't make the team that is because they just feel Isaiah and Shakir give them what they need in the slot. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.