Sunday Ticket Negotiations

Buffalo Boy

10 hours ago, chongli said:

Apple and Disney/ESPN have now bowed out on NFL Sunday Ticket negotiations for 2023, leaving only Amazon and Google. This means no more yearly negotiations with DirecTV!

From the article:

"Here’s the key quote, from Byer: “I’m now told that Apple, once seen as a frontrunner for the rights, has also backed out of those negotiations — not because they can’t afford it, but because they don’t see the logic. So it’s down to Amazon and Google, and there’s certainly a logic there for both companies: Amazon can use it to drive Prime subscriptions; Google can use it to fuel its YouTube TV business.”

This also means the Disney/ESPN has exited the bidding, too.  

Apple’s decision to take a pass is a stunner, since Apple had emerged as the clear frontrunner for the package that DirecTV has held since its inception in 1994. Between, however, the extreme asking price and the strict limitations imposed on the product, there’s a point at which one corporate behemoth tells the other to get lost."

Please don't be youtube. They don't have enough sports to be a main tv provider. Live sports in YouTube stream have been so so in deliverability in the past

Already have prime, can pair that with Fubo and drop DTV.

I really think Amazon brings it home and Thursday nights were a trial run for deliverability which they passed with flying colors. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

At this point, I am rooting for prime. I kinda hope DTV comes in at the last second, but that seems like it will never happen. 

my biggest concern with a streaming-only service is the DVR capabilities. 

the other issue is the ease of flipping between Sunday ticket and local channels that carry local games.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

39 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

At this point, I am rooting for prime. I kinda hope DTV comes in at the last second, but that seems like it will never happen. 

my biggest concern with a streaming-only service is the DVR capabilities. 

the other issue is the ease of flipping between Sunday ticket and local channels that carry local games.

I'm surprised more of the streaming fans haven't chimed in on this.  Besides watching the Bills game every week, I record redzone on 703 and sometimes another game I'm interested in.   I can catch up on a lot during commercial breaks and halftime so it's an entire experience.  Living in Tampa, I also record the Bucs game although I don't ever give it preference over the Bills.

TNF is dreadful, and I can't imagine how one switches back and forth between games given how difficult it is to get in and out of streaming channels (compared to just using my DTV remote which is a second or two)

Hopefully some streaming fans can explain how they watch NFL on Sunday.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, southtampacane said:

I'm surprised more of the streaming fans haven't chimed in on this.  Besides watching the Bills game every week, I record redzone on 703 and sometimes another game I'm interested in.   I can catch up on a lot during commercial breaks and halftime so it's an entire experience.  Living in Tampa, I also record the Bucs game although I don't ever give it preference over the Bills.

TNF is dreadful, and I can't imagine how one switches back and forth between games given how difficult it is to get in and out of streaming channels (compared to just using my DTV remote which is a second or two)

Agreed! 

I suspect that the NFL and these streaming providers haven’t thought through these issues because, unlike many of us, they don’t have like 20 years of experience under our belts. 

As with you, I have found TNF to be pretty bad. I have figured out the “DVR” option, which is to basically start at the beginning. But you can’t really switch to other channels during the game. I get that they want you to watch commercials. But that is not an option during Sundays. you ruin a major benefit of Sunday ticket if you can’t move easily between games. 

One suggestion would be to stop with the blackout nonsense, and just have ticket channels carry all games. But it Seems like the NFL is wedded to the blackout rules.

6 hours ago, Xwnyer said:

I believe the statement was they weren’t bidding for exclusive rights.  I still think they will work a deal out to provide the option only reason I haven’t canceled yet waiting to see what happens.  Prefer sat solution versus streaming since it’s easier to sync the radio feed.

That’s what I’m waiting on. I wish the NFL would settle this because I’m itching to ditch DirecTv but don’t want to pull the trigger before I know for sure they are out.

1 hour ago, southtampacane said:

I can't imagine how one switches back and forth between games given how difficult it is to get in and out of streaming channels

The Firestick plugs into the TV's HDMI input and the antenna connects to the antenna input. To switch back and forth between Sunday Ticket (streaming) and local broadcast, I use my TV remote to change the source from one to the other. Takes about 2 seconds.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Beast said:

That’s what I’m waiting on. I wish the NFL would settle this because I’m itching to ditch DirecTv but don’t want to pull the trigger before I know for sure they are out.

Got me free ST this year, only reason I stayed.  If I didn’t get it free, would have dumped them and just watched NFLN version of Redzone. 

2 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I don’t care who gets ST next year as long as it is not DTV.  What I really want is Redzone only option with Andrew Siciliano.  I’d pay $100 no problem for it. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

One suggestion would be to stop with the blackout nonsense, and just have ticket channels carry all games. But it Seems like the NFL is wedded to the blackout rules.

Sadly, this will never happen.  Even though the NFL makes billions off ST, they'd rather have you watch the game broadcast OTA in your area and, due to pressure from network affiliates, for you to consume the local commercials.  The NFL turns a blind eye toward ST, they don't have to do anything but cash Amazon's or Google's checks each season, smile and say "Have a nice day."

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ned Flanders said:

Sadly, this will never happen.  Even though the NFL makes billions off ST, they'd rather have you watch the game broadcast OTA in your area and, due to pressure from network affiliates, for you to consume the local commercials.  The NFL turns a blind eye toward ST, they don't have to do anything but cash Amazon's or Google's checks each season, smile and say "Have a nice day."

Re the blackout rules, someone needs to explain this scenario to me. If I live in Tennessee and go to the Titans game (on locally), the NFL blacks you out from watching any other games on Sunday ticket while in the stadium. So you can’t stream the bills game on your phone from inside the stadium. 

this happened to a friend of mine, who had to go to the local game when his girlfriend scored free tickets. 

4 hours ago, southtampacane said:

Lol tnf has been GREAT except for the matchups. Hope Amazon gets the full rights because ***** DirecTV. Crooks

4 hours ago, southtampacane said:

I have Sunday Ticket streaming this year because I was able to use my son’s college email address. I mostly use an app on my Xbox. It works great. All I have to do to change games is push right on the game pad, scroll down to select a new game and press the “A” button. Really easy and the change happens almost instantly. I really hope that if Amazon get it that they develop a separate app for the games.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, ArtVandalay said:

Please don't be youtube. They don't have enough sports to be a main tv provider. Live sports in YouTube stream have been so so in deliverability in the past

Already have prime, can pair that with Fubo and drop DTV.

I really think Amazon brings it home and Thursday nights were a trial run for deliverability which they passed with flying colors. 

no Amazon. No more annoying Next Gen stats every 10 seconds and AWS ads.  

Still boggles my mind I can watch nearly every major college football team every week - yet I only get to watch 2 or 3 NFL games a week.  Doesn't make any sense to me.  Put them all on TV.  Bid for first pick.  maybe it works out as ABC gets first pick, FOX gets 2nd pick, AMZN, GOOG, AAPL, NBC, CBS all get next picks.  You can get every game on TV.  I would love to see the business case for Sunday ticket.  If it's so good - why isn't college using the same model?  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

no Amazon. No more annoying Next Gen stats every 10 seconds and AWS ads.  

Amazon won't be doing the production for the games, it's to carry access to the out of market CBS and Fox games, just like the ticket is now,  DTV doesn't produce it. 

Edited by ArtVandalay

7 hours ago, Beast said:

Ive "suspended" mine before, meaning you keep all the equipment and temporarily cancel your subscription and not pay the monthly bill until the following season or until the contract is settled and you could just cancel at that point.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Pirate Angel said:

Ive "suspended" mine before, meaning you keep all the equipment and temporarily cancel your subscription and not pay the monthly bill until the following season or until the contract is settled and you could just cancel at that point.

Interesting I need to try this I currently have the lowest price service but no dish installed at current house basically waiting till final,y get a message on ST 

On 12/17/2022 at 7:39 AM, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I think this is great news. YouTube and Prime are excellent, reliable platforms, and if Google wins out, it should integrate extremely well with YouTube TV

I hope Amazon gets it, as then I won't have to subscribe to another service. But my bet is on Google, to drive their YouTube TV operation.  I don't get the NFL Network, so signed up for the YouTube TV trial. Stream was flawless!

20 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Re the blackout rules, someone needs to explain this scenario to me. If I live in Tennessee and go to the Titans game (on locally), the NFL blacks you out from watching any other games on Sunday ticket while in the stadium. So you can’t stream the bills game on your phone from inside the stadium. 

this happened to a friend of mine, who had to go to the local game when his girlfriend scored free tickets. 

The blackout rules are no longer. NO local games are blacked out from their local market. (That's what the blackout rules were.)  If the game is on the NFL Network how is it "blacked out"? It's available to 100% of the country.  Now if you don't have the NFL Network, you can't see it. Just like if you live in a rural area, don't have cable, and can't get the over the air signal from the broadcast station that carries the game. The game IS available to you, but you may have to do some work, and spend some money, as well.

Any game on the NFL Network or ESPN is also broadcast on the local station that bids the highest. So I'm sure the game was on a local broadcast station in Buffalo in Miami. But not all the markets that typically get those teams are the "local market".

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.