PFF 10 top coaches...LOL

8 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Kingsbury at #4??? 

McDermott #18??

Both Super Bowl Coaches outside the top 10 and Zac Taylor #22??

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-head-coach-rankings-2022-bill-belichick-andy-reid-john-harbaugh

And this is yet another example why PFF is trash.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 8

Perfect example of why the world is in the shape it's in. Been proven many times they make up stuff to get reactions out of people but people need to feel something so let's keep spreading the bull####.  

Let's all get mad about a ranking this place did but make sure you give them their clicks. They need ad revenue so they can do it again next week and get more money. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I'm not saying I agree with them, but they are basing it on if they had an average roster.  So it's not a ranking on how the coaches have performed with their given team, but how they THINK they'd perform if every coach was given the exact same roster of average players.

Edited by cle23
  • Like (+1) 4

Not even clicking on that bait. I assume it's based on some kind of advanced metric they made up?

1 minute ago, cle23 said:

I'm not saying I agree with them, but they are basing it on if they had an average roster.  So it's not a ranking on how the coaches have performed with their given team, but how they THINK they'd perform if every coach was given the exact same roster of average players.

Confused Mouth Open GIF

• Haha (+1) 6

2 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Not even clicking on that bait. I assume it's based on some kind of advanced metric they made up?

Confused Mouth Open GIF

I have no idea, it honestly doesn't say.  It just has W/L estimates "Based on an average roster", so I don't know what all went into it.

11 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Confused Mouth Open GIF

Yes.  This metric states that Kliff Kingsbury is one of the best coaches in the league.  Mike McCarthy is a top 10 coach and Zac Taylor is currently a worse HC than Lovie Smith.

For those that don't want to click (we salute you)

16. SEAN MCDERMOTT, BUFFALO BILLS (8.9 – 8.1 RECORD WITH AVERAGE ROSTER)

• Offensive Rank: 20/26 (+12 points scored a season)
  • Defensive Rank: 7/26 (-4 points scored a season)

McDermott sticks true to his roots as a former defensive coordinator, helming strong units on that side of the ball while not always getting expected results out of his offenses based on talent level.

• Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 1

13 minutes ago, cle23 said:

Part of a HC's responsibility is to build a winning roster and develop the talent. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, cle23 said:

In a similarly useful, highly scientific exercise, I am going to rank the best flavors of ice cream but stipulate for the purposes of my rankings that they all have to taste like mashed potatoes.

Talk about off-season filler content...

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 10

20 minutes ago, cle23 said:

Funny, because McDermott took a below average roster, including a poor QB, to the playoffs in his first year as a head coach.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 2

Without wanting to bother reading their content, I wonder if this is an example of recency bias regarding the :13 debacle or maybe an assessment of the last season in general.  All the wins by double digits (talent gets the credit) and most of the losses by one score or less (head coaches blamed for game management.)   The other odd thing about last year was how good Tyler Bass was but never got called on to make the difference with a game deciding kick.  

I do not sense that 2021 was Sean's best year navigating through the schedule with in-game decision making.  Not necessarily consistently bad but consistently less than ideal outcomes.  Ex. Josh Allen on a QB sneak vs. the Titans?  Should be money.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, MJS said:

Funny, because McDermott took a below average roster, including a poor QB, to the playoffs in his first year as a head coach.

Yeah, the real-life versions of this situation already happen. We've seen all of these coaches succeed and fail with average rosters.

Or maybe PFF should just host a Madden tournament with all the coaches?

Looks like McDermott is getting dinged for a few reasons 

1) This team "underperformed" last year based on expected wins per the Pythagorean model. We had the best point differential in the league and finished "only" 11-6. That's a full 2 wins fewer than expected. 

2) Josh Allen is a top QB on a rookie contract. 

• Like (+1) 1

The defining metric of “what the coach would achieve with an average roster” necessarily precludes what the coach has IMPACTED on his actual rosters.

For example, I’d guess PFF accounts for each Bills’ defensive player’s performance in their algorithm, but don’t account for the Bills’ coaching staff’s impact on each defensive player’s performance (because, how the hell could that be quantified?). And, then, what the f*ck is the point?

Ad revenue? Yeah, for ad revenue.

6 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Looks like McDermott is getting dinged for a few reasons 

1) This team "underperformed" last year based on expected wins per the Pythagorean model. We had the best point differential in the league and finished "only" 11-6. That's a full 2 wins fewer than expected. 

2) Josh Allen is a top QB on a rookie contract. 

There's a certain irony for PFF to ding McDermott for this.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.