PFF 10 top coaches...LOL

1 minute ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Yeah, doesn't seem far off. I'd say anywhere between 5-8 for me. Speaking for myself, I'd consider that a "top tier". Others may feel differently I guess.

IMO there are clearly 5-7 coaches who are above McDermott- the three aforementioned, Tomlin/McVay/Shanahan, then any combination of Vrabel/McDermott/Reich you prefer

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, 4merper4mer said:

Shirley they can’t be serious with a Mike McCarthy in the top 10.

He's a SB winning head coach and that matters so I would also put him in the top 10 and above McD for that reason alone.

Also when you consider what a circus the Dallas front office is with Jerry Jones at the helm it's still a big deal that he got the Cowboys back to the playoffs and won the division last year regardless of getting bounced in the first round.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I disagree. His 7-9 coaching job two years ago with a bottom 5 roster and the absolute worst QB play in the league was one of his best coached seasons IMO. Even getting them to 10 wins last year. I think they should, by talent alone, be one of the worst 5 teams in the league this season. It is probably bad for the Pats that he keeps them overachieving with their talent because they need some difference makers and they have stopped finding them later in the draft so early picks would help. But he is still coaching the hell out of that team. They are just less talented. 

I think he's a big reason why they have less talent.  He hasn't drafted well and offered bad contracts to veteran players.  

I think losing McDaniels will hurt them a lot and their offense will be a mess.  

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

IMO there are clearly 5-7 coaches who are above McDermott- the three aforementioned, Tomlin/McVay/Shanahan, then any combination of Vrabel/McDermott/Reich you prefer

Yeah, I can't really argue with ya about that. Reason I guessed 5-8. Probably about 8th though I'd say, but I do think he's top 10

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think he's a big reason why they have less talent.  He hasn't drafted well and offered bad contracts to veteran players.  

I think losing McDaniels will hurt them a lot and their offense will be a mess.  

He is. But this ranking is of them as coaches. Bill the GM has hurt Bill the coach over the last 5 or 6 years, no question. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, FilthyBeast said:

He's a SB winning head coach and that matters so I would also put him in the top 10 and above McD for that reason alone.

Also when you consider what a circus the Dallas front office is with Jerry Jones at the helm it's still a big deal that he got the Cowboys back to the playoffs and won the division last year regardless of getting bounced in the first round.

So that means Doug Pederson should be in the top 10 as well since he won a Super Bowl?

The Cowboys have talent and a franchise level QB...and in the NFC East which is a terrible division.  The Cowboys underperformed.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I have Shanahan in the Vrabel/McDermott tier. I'm not going to argue if someone ranks Shanahan best of that tier, but there is no way he belongs ahead of Tomlin or McVay for me. I have Reich below that Vrabel/McDermott/Shanny tier because his team plays way too many let down games year after year and his only playoff win is against Bill O'Brien. 

• Agree 1

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

So that means Doug Pederson should be in the top 10 as well since he won a Super Bowl?

The Cowboys have talent and a franchise level QB...and in the NFC East which is a terrible division.  The Cowboys underperformed.

Yes 100%, probably even more so because he's responsible for the only championship in franchise history in Philly.

I think the Jaguars are going to take a massive step this year too with him down there. Maybe not playoffs just yet but they will be a factor and probably can win 7 or 8 games.

That's why for all the shortcomings and lowlights McDermott has so far in his career, if he can coach this team to a SB win he'd be legendary and nobody will care about '13 seconds' or anything else.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I have Shanahan in the Vrabel/McDermott tier. I'm not going to argue if someone ranks Shanahan best of that tier, but there is no way he belongs ahead of Tomlin or McVay for me. I have Reich below that Vrabel/McDermott/Shanny tier because his team plays way too many let down games year after year and his only playoff win is against Bill O'Brien. 

Yeah I'm with you here. I'd put Vrabel/McD basically same with one no better than other. Agree with Reich also....

Just now, GunnerBill said:

McDermott's teams have shown the same tendencies, and he actually lost to Bill O'Brien in the playoffs.

Just now, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Yeah I'm with you here. I'd put Vrabel/McD basically same with one no better than other. Agree with Reich also....

Shanahan has taken JimmyG to the Super Bowl and an NFCCG, that's got to count for something

OMG this has to be a joke!

I have not shied away from criticizing McDermott but there is no way in hell he is 18th in the league.  He is not without his faults, but he is easily a top 10 coach and leagues ahead of some of these clowns like McCarthy and Kingsbury ranked ahead of him.  

McDermott sticks true to his roots as a former defensive coordinator, helming strong units on that side of the ball while not always getting expected results out of his offenses based on talent level.

And this description is 180 degree false.  It's the defense that has let us down time and again while the offense has been great.  Anyone that even casually followed the Bills would know the QBs they faced last year were garbage and the defense cost us the SB.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If this list was 5-7 years ago, I would have Belicheck up there.  I don't think he's even top 5 now.  

How do you figure that?  He took a team with a rookie QB to the playoffs and beat the Bills at home throwing the ball three times.  Seems he is still at the top of his game.  I agree he is a terrible GM but would you want any other coach to game plan to win one game other than Belichick?

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Get over it. McDermott is a top tier coach in this league. If you choose to condemn him for 13 seconds and ignore the rest of what he has accomplished, that is on you.

im over it... I am saying how it looks to outsiders. And I do believe McD is top tier. 

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

McDermott's teams have shown the same tendencies, and he actually lost to Bill O'Brien in the playoffs.

Shanahan has taken JimmyG to the Super Bowl and an NFCCG, that's got to count for something

Definitely, I mainly was referring to Vrabel/Reich. Guess I should have clarified a bit more. I can see how some would put Shanahan 1 or 2 spots ahead of McD. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Not to anywhere close the level Reich's have. 

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

How do you figure that?  He took a team with a rookie QB to the playoffs and beat the Bills at home throwing the ball three times.  Seems he is still at the top of his game.  I agree he is a terrible GM but would you want any other coach to game plan to win one game other than Belichick?

Well, that particular game isn't a very good argument. I mean that type of weather game could go either way for any teams. If you want to stick with that though, I'd say one could put it on Daboll more than McD

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

McDermott took the Bills to the playoffs with a career back up and a bunch or WR's that weren't in the league 2-3 years later.

So he beat the Bills in a terrible weather game.  What happened the next two times?  Well, in those 14 drives, we scored 11 TD's, Emmanuel Sanders dropped a TD pass and kicked two FG's.  Did Belicheck lack talent on defense or was he severely outcoached?

39 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

What’s top tier? 

A tier is "one of two or more rows, levels, or ranks arranged one above another."

Imagine that there are multiple tiers of coaches in the league, then imagine that there is a top tier of coaches. Then imagine that McDermott is in that top tier.

That's what I mean.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.