Jump to content

PFF 10 top coaches...LOL


Recommended Posts

On 6/7/2022 at 9:30 AM, cle23 said:

I'm not saying I agree with them, but they are basing it on if they had an average roster.  So it's not a ranking on how the coaches have performed with their given team, but how they THINK they'd perform if every coach was given the exact same roster of average players.

Problem is both the coach and their system have insight on how the roster is built, so normalizing rosters adds nothing to the debate.   Coaches should be judged on win percentage, playoff appearances and Super Bowls.     McDermott is a top ten coach in the league and I am not sure its debatable.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Problem is both the coach and their system have insight on how the roster is built, so normalizing rosters adds nothing to the debate.   Coaches should be judged on win percentage, playoff appearances and Super Bowls.     McDermott is a top ten coach in the league and I am not sure its debatable.

I believe McDermott is 10th among active coaches in win%, 11th in playoff appearances, and obviously tied for last in Super Bowls. I’d argue his spot in the top 10 is very debatable.

  • Disagree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/8/2022 at 9:43 AM, GoBills808 said:

This is where I'm at right now. At that point you start to look at a stacked roster that can't even come close to winning a Super Bowl and ask yourself if he's the right coach.

 

There's no way the Pegula's are going to sit around during Allen's primes years when the big time money in his contract kicks in and be content with just getting to the playoffs under McDermott.

 

At some point both sides will realize it's time to move on even if it's done under the guise of 'McDermott deciding to resign' instead publicly being fired.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

 

There's no way the Pegula's are going to sit around during Allen's primes years when the big time money in his contract kicks in and be content with just getting to the playoffs under McDermott.

 

At some point both sides will realize it's time to move on even if it's done under the guise of 'McDermott deciding to resign' instead publicly being fired.

To be clear I think we are 3 seasons minimum removed from that.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

 

There's no way the Pegula's are going to sit around during Allen's primes years when the big time money in his contract kicks in and be content with just getting to the playoffs under McDermott.

 

At some point both sides will realize it's time to move on even if it's done under the guise of 'McDermott deciding to resign' instead publicly being fired.

Or maybe we win the super bowl this year and next year and we never think about firing him again 😃 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Or maybe we win the super bowl this year and next year and we never think about firing him again 😃 

 

That (or next year) would put an end to it all.  But if he doesn't over the next 2-3 years, you have to seriously considering moving-on.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really don't understand why PFF continues to get legitimacy and airtime.

 

They lost all credibility for me when they ranked Duck Hodges ahead of Josh before the Sunday Night game in Pittsburgh during the 2019 season. I sincerely hope teams don't refer to PFF when making personnel decisions.

Edited by EersN'Bills
  • Like (+1) 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

To be clear I think we are 3 seasons minimum removed from that.

 

No way, personally I'd pull the trigger after this year especially if this team fails to come close to expectations and doesn't win the division and/or is bounced in the first round of the playoffs.

 

But again, going back to the idea of not wasting Allen's prime years/current contract i think after the 2023 season would be absolute longest you wait since that would be 7 years with McDermott and no SB win if that's the scenario that plays out.

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

Or maybe we win the super bowl this year and next year and we never think about firing him again 😃 

 

Exactly, it'd be the desired outcome obviously I'm just not it's going to happen especially after the way last year ended....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

 

No way, personally I'd pull the trigger after this year especially if this team fails to come close to expectations and doesn't win the division and/or is bounced in the first round of the playoffs.

 

But again, going back to the idea of not wasting Allen's prime years/current contract i think after the 2023 season would be absolute longest you wait since that would be 7 years with McDermott and no SB win if that's the scenario that plays out.

 

Exactly, it'd be the desired outcome obviously I'm just not it's going to happen especially after the way last year ended....

So because of the way last year ended, you think McD may be incapable of winning a super bowl?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

McD got 6 wins out of the 2018 Bills who were one of the worst rosters in the NFL after getting a below average roster to the playoffs in 2017, to argue he is worse than a bunch of these coaches is dumb. Also McVay being the 9th best offensive coach is insane, especially since he is well below Kingsbury.

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

McD got 6 wins out of the 2018 Bills who were one of the worst rosters in the NFL after getting a below average roster to the playoffs in 2017, to argue he is worse than a bunch of these coaches is dumb. Also McVay being the 9th best offensive coach is insane, especially since he is well below Kingsbury.

 

 

The Bills took a 10 win roster to training camp in 2017.    The .500 Rex teams should have won 12 or more games in both years.    They had been pretty stacked and were a top 5 roster.

 

Losing Gilmore and Woods certainly hurt but Hyde and Poyer were big additions to a team whose biggest weakness might have been the safety position.    The Bills were still positioned to be good going into TC,  regardless of what the mostly horrific talent evaluators on TBD/TSW believed.:lol:  

 

McBeane then subtracted Watkins and Dareus in the coming months....annihilating first their passing game and then their solid run defense..........and by midseason their roster had been transformed into a below average one and their OC made it much worse by being awful at his job.

 

The new regime didn't work miracles with a bad roster.........they made it into a bad roster with their choices.    They simply got lucky reaching the playoffs with the worst point differential of any team to do so in 30 years.

 

Then their relatively strong offensive line group.......who had lead an NFL best rushing attack in 2015-2016.........was decimated in the 2018 offseason.........and they had a truly franchise-worst-ever kinda' free agency period........officially cementing them as a bad roster.

 

 But it's important to note that the difference between good and bad rosters now can be just 2-3 players.    Free agency has leveled the overall playing field considerably.    Good draft picks in 2017 and good first rounders in 2018-2019 turned into very productive players and the roster got back in the black in 2019. 

 

 

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The Bills took a 10 win roster to training camp in 2017.    The .500 Rex teams should have won 12 or more games in both years.    They had been pretty stacked and were a top 5 roster.

 

Losing Gilmore and Woods certainly hurt but Hyde and Poyer were big additions to a team whose biggest weakness might have been the safety position.    The Bills were still positioned to be good going into TC,  regardless of what the mostly horrific talent evaluators on TBD/TSW believed.:lol:  

 

McBeane then subtracted Watkins and Dareus in the coming months....annihilating first their passing game and then their solid run defense..........and by midseason their roster had been transformed into a below average one and their OC made it much worse by being awful at his job.

 

The new regime didn't work miracles with a bad roster.........they made it into a bad roster with their choices.    They simply got lucky reaching the playoffs with the worst point differential of any team to do so in 30 years.

 

Then their relatively strong offensive line group.......who had lead an NFL best rushing attack in 2015-2016.........was decimated in the 2018 offseason.........and they had a truly franchise-worst-ever kinda' free agency period........officially cementing them as a bad roster.

 

 But it's important to note that the difference between good and bad rosters now can be just 2-3 players.    Free agency has leveled the overall playing field considerably.    Good draft picks in 2017 and good first rounders in 2018-2019 turned into very productive players and the roster got back in the black in 2019. 

 

So McBeane (allegedly, but OK) inherited a 10-win team and then jettisoned 3 malcontented/underperforming/non-process players...and ended up winning 9 games and still made the playoffs.  What is the point you're trying to make here? 

 

And 2018 was going to be a reset year, what with Josh starting, regardless of the cap situation.  It was their only non-playoff season. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

 

So McBeane (allegedly, but OK) inherited a 10-win team and then jettisoned 3 malcontented/underperforming/non-process players...and ended up winning 9 games and still made the playoffs.  What is the point you're trying to make here? 

 

And 2018 was going to be a reset year, what with Josh starting, regardless of the cap situation.  It was their only non-playoff season. 

 

 

They ended up winning 9 games.........but with 6-10 metrics.  

 

Basically the OPPOSITE of what they were in 2021 where they had 14-15 win/NFL best metrics..........but just an 11-6 record. 

 

2018 ended up being a reset year..........but it wasn't by design.    They mostly just misplayed it that way.    They spent a ton in UFA and got nothing for it.    Prior decisions like Kelvin Benjamin in 2017 and others backfired.    People act like they knew they were going to stink in 2018........it was the outcome,  but not by design.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...