Giants decline Jones 5th year option

Draconator

5 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

I'm surprised, I thought Daboll interviewed on the premise that he could fix Danny and make him a Josh Allen type project? I wonder if they will add a QB in the draft then

No need.  They have Jake Fromm State Farm!!

5 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

When the Bills needed a qb in 2013 they didn't care that it was an extraordinarily weak year for qb's. They reached and took a guy in the 1st round who probably should have been a 3rd rounder based on his talent. Hopefully the Giants panic and take a qb to develop during Jones' final year. Then teams like the Panthers, Falcons, Seahawks, Commanders, and Texans will over-draft qb's as well.

Big difference.  The Bills dumped Fitzpatrick before the draft & only had Tarvaris Jackson, Kevin Kolb & Aaron Corp signed for 2013 before the draft.  None of them were around by opening day.  Jackson & Corp were released & Kolb was on IR.  So the Bills panicked because they had to draft a QB.  The Giants have 2 QBs who have been starters multiple years.  

7 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

No need.  They have Jake Fromm State Farm!!

No they don't.  Fromm is gone.  https://www.bigblueview.com/2022/3/16/22980961/giants-opt-not-to-tender-exclusive-free-agent-offer-to-qb-jake-fromm

If Jones is realistic he knows he is the right spot based on how things have went.

You’d be more concerned about his mental state if he was furious right now or felt entitled to that 5th Year Option.

Jones will get his opportunity to make his money.

but that is all he will get…an opportunity.

the rest is up to him.

On 4/28/2022 at 12:57 PM, Greg S said:

Tyrod Taylor time. Wouldn't surprise me if he becomes the starter at some point.

Or they may be talking to the Baker to see if they Mayfield another surprise QB cake for a party after the draft is done ??

On 4/28/2022 at 1:01 PM, KDIGGZ said:

I'm surprised, I thought Daboll interviewed on the premise that he could fix Danny and make him a Josh Allen type project? I wonder if they will add a QB in the draft then

Yeah, most people aren’t surprised, but I find it strange. I understand not picking up the option, but doesn’t that leave the Giants with a lame duck QB? It doesn’t seem like an ideal situation for a first year head coach. As you mentioned, I thought Daboll was going to “fix” Jones. I’d want to believe in my QB having some potential if I took the Giants head coaching job.

It’s fair to move on from Jones in the future. I don’t think he has the ability to be a Super Bowl QB, but who’s to say you can’t sneak into the playoffs with him? I’d want Daboll to have a couple season to give it a try. They aren’t finding a QB in this draft, it’d make sense to have Jones in 2023. I’m not claiming Jones is any good, but it’s a weird move imo. 

57 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Yeah, most people aren’t surprised, but I find it strange. I understand not picking up the option, but doesn’t that leave the Giants with a lame duck QB? It doesn’t seem like an ideal situation for a first year head coach. As you mentioned, I thought Daboll was going to “fix” Jones. I’d want to believe in my QB having some potential if I took the Giants head coaching job.

It’s fair to move on from Jones in the future. I don’t think he has the ability to be a Super Bowl QB, but who’s to say you can’t sneak into the playoffs with him? I’d want Daboll to have a couple season to give it a try. They aren’t finding a QB in this draft, it’d make sense to have Jones in 2023. I’m not claiming Jones is any good, but it’s a weird move imo. 

I only have two words for Daboll…Peter Man! Or was that one word? 😉

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, T master said:

Or they may be talking to the Baker to see if they Mayfield another surprise QB cake for a party after the draft is done ??

I'm thinking the Giants may use a 5th and bring in Baker. Daboll is the QB whisperer. Thinks he can fix Baker and has a QB with NFL experience. Can use draft picks to continue to build roster. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.