Diggs Extended 4 more years breaking news per WGR 550

BillsPride12

1 hour ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

I'm sorry but I didn't see, does this free up more cap space for us?

I saw this in Sal's article on wgr550

According to the NFLPA's public salary cap report, the Bills have less than $287,000 remaining in available salary cap space for this coming season. They'll need over $2 million of space to sign their draft picks.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

FWIW, both Poyer and Hyde got new deals prior to free agency, when an argument could be made that they were grossly underpaid for performance.

So that would seem to be a case of pot-kettle-black

Rachel Bush was "going off" about Von Miller getting signed whilst her hubbykins wasn't being extended, well prior to the Diggs extension.  So I would say the "understanding" you speak of may be more perception than reality.

In addition, Josh Allen needs targets.  Nobody gonna argue with Diggs, the number 1 receiver for the QB getting his contract adjusted.  It also benefits cap space.  Only so many lions can eat, and others have to wait for food.  Everybody knows that. 

6 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Cool if he produces I will decide if I would extend him. Right now would not be my priority. If anything he likely goes the Gesicki route and gets Tagged. 

that is how I would deal with Knox at this point. At end of the day cannot pay everyone. and because of that IMO this is going to be Poyers last year as a Bill as well. (Best case) may not even make it into the year. 

I disagree again.  If you believe Knox is going to be a top 10 TE then pay him like a top 10-15 TE during this season.  Don't have him go to FA market.  You get deals by extending while still under contract.  Gesicki will not be with Miami long term because it's unlikely that Miami will be the highest bidder next year.  The Bills should not go down that road.

The FO already probably knows Knox is a great fit - offensively and culturally.  Also his value is growing, sign him on the upswing.  Njoku got tagged at $10M.  J Smith got $12M.  During the season, Knox would be amenable to getting a raise and guaranteed money.  I think Knox likes it here and would take a reasonable market contract, $10-12M/yr for the next 5 years with some nice guaranteed cash.

• Like (+1) 1

Long thread to review…the people that were advocating for a Diggs trade or other sort or separation  just a few days ago seem to be absent from all pages…

Funny to think even ONE of you would even entertain the possibility that Beane would trade multiple assets, including a 1st round pick, only to jettison the guy after 2 years of elite production cuz he was getting too expensive. Love this place, only for the unintended comedy if nothing else. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Aurelius said:

In addition, Josh Allen needs targets.  Nobody gonna argue with Diggs, the number 1 receiver for the QB getting his contract adjusted.  It also benefits cap space.  Only so many lions can eat, and others have to wait for food.  Everybody knows that. 

The wait is never a long one. Josh spreads the ball around quite well giving everyone opportunities. So imo there is plenty to go around for all the lions to eat

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, JoPoy88 said:

Long thread to review…the people that were advocating for a Diggs trade or other sort or separation  just a few days ago seem to be absent from all pages

Funny to think even ONE of you would even entertain the possibility that Beane would trade multiple assets, including a 1st round pick, only to jettison the guy after 2 years of elite production cuz he was getting too expensive. Love this place, only for the unintended comedy if nothing else. 

Actually I spoke about that earlier in the thread and a few responded, so not all of them are absent lol. Anyways, they were assuming Diggs would want T. Hill type of contract/money  which gave the feeling he would get traded.

I for one wasn't concerned the slightest. I have been highly confident the whole time Diggs would get taken care of at some point. No way he would get traded and thought didn't enter my mind. But for some reason some here thought Diggs would demand that type of T. Hill contract and nothing less I guess.. Lol

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I've heard that with this signing the Bills have opened up another something like $18 million in cap space i could see Beane bringing back Gilmore & possibly Hughes & still having enough for the rookie class .

I don't know how he's doing it but i think it's going to be one hell of a ride this year !! 

4 minutes ago, BillsfaninChicago said:

This off season has been like winning the Mega Millions. I can’t believe how much we have gotten done. It seems like older regimes would have either traded Diggs or eventually let him walk. Success breeds success and we are seeing it finally.

Yeah it's exciting, remember there was lot of post that said Bills wouldn't be able to do much with the cap space etc. Turns out much more could be done that what they thought lol

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I would wholeheartedly disagree that the Diggs extension was done now simply because they wanted cap space. It was done now because we want to keep him in the fold for years to come, keep him happy with all the other big deals that were handed out to WR's, and because he's wanted a new deal since the day we traded for him over two seasons ago

The signing has been billed as an "extension". Not a completely new deal. When we extended Josh, his contract stayed the same and the new numbers came in the extension. It's possible they reworked these two years, but it's not a given. Especially when you consider his number now isn't excessive in the grand scheme of top WR's.

While you may be right (but I'd bet money you are not) why extend it NOW?  The Bills could have waited until after the draft to extend him, later in the year or next year to extend him. BTW the bolded is your speculation I think. Do you have any real evidence for this? I mean every player would like a new better deal, but where to you see Diggs demanding one since he first came here?

And I believe Josh's deal did help the cap when it was signed. Please let me know if I'm wrong on that.

13 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

I get that sentiment. But you cannot pay everyone. So I do think Poyer is that Veteran chip that has been rumored that could get moved in draft. 

we will see. But most likely the team stays together in 2022 to go all in to get that Lombardi this year. Then Poyer and Edmunds move on in UFA. 

I think it makes sense to trade Poyer, very good play but I think the Bills can upgrade the position with a player who has better speed. 

3 hours ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

How does Beane not win GM of the year after this off-season??

They still need to win on the field and the Super Bowl

47 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Long thread to review…the people that were advocating for a Diggs trade or other sort or separation  just a few days ago seem to be absent from all pages…

I wasn't advocating for a trade but if Diggs demanded to be the highest paid NFL WR then it would make sense to trade him now where you can sell high.  It wasn't a crazy conversation given the recent trades of Adams and Hill.  Instead, we got him on a reasonable 20.7 million a year.  That's only 2.7 million more per year than Christian Kirk.

1 minute ago, Niagara Dude said:

I think it makes sense to trade Poyer, very good play but I think the Bills can upgrade the position with a player who has better speed. 

Who do you suggest that player might be that's an upgrade over Poyer? He and Hyde have a type of connection that you don't see very often. One knows what the other is thinking and how they will move. That itself is very important and I don't see anyone that's an upgrade over Poyer at this time.

Maybe next year could find someone, But I don't see where you think that player will come from at the moment.

3 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Could you provide a link? I've yet to hear anyone who has any info on what the contract looks like. Just fan speculation.

I have read so many articles I have no idea where it was.  The statement just said that Diggs cap hit for 2022 was reduced.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.