Thoughts on New York City?

Miyagi-Do Karate

I was in NYC not long ago. I have been there a number of times through the years. I just don’t sort of get the appeal. Any time I am there, it just seems crowded and “hard” to do anything or get around, and I am overwhelmed with the smells of garbage (and now garbage plus marijuana).

Sort of curious what people’s thoughts are. And also if there are fans of it, best neighborhoods to hang out in and visit? Maybe I am not going to the right places or doing the right things 

I have spent time in midtown, east and west sides, and downtown (Lower Manhattan). But haven’t spent much time at all in the upper west or upper east sides or Harlem and north of Manhattan. 

My wife “technically” works out of NYC. Prior to Covid she would be there about three times a month. She was usually around the office near Grand Central, but the main HQ is in the financial district. She always complains that she just sees the airport, the hotel and the office. Just before the pandemic I told her to build a little extra time and I joined her for some great evenings and we went to see To Kill a MocKingbird. We had a great time. In fact, our puppy is named Scout after the play character. 

Having said that, I had plenty of time to walk around every day. Like 20k+ steps per day. It’s a $hithole IMO and I can’t imagine living there. It was supposed to be a requirement of her position, but she said no way. The boss said it wasn’t a dealbreaker as long as she was willing to do 3 weeks/month in the NYC office. 

The weekend before the Bills opener last year we were at a wedding in Chicago. The downtown was SO MUCH nicer it was hard to believe. I hadn’t been to either downtown since college days. No comparison, again, IMO. 

Having said THAT, I want no part of either. The reality is you would live so far out of town you would never see the good parts, or you’d live IN town in a shoe box that would cost a fortune. I’m more a quality of life kinda guy. 

• Like (+1) 2

This thread belongs in PPP. It is impossible to explain what has happened in NYC without getting into politics to some degree, and I'm not willing to go there.

What I feel like I can say is that thousands of people are leaving NYC. Houses on Long Island are selling for at least 5% over the asking prices. There are bidding wars on houses, sight unseen. I know this to be true; my daughter bought one.  In addition to Long Island, folks are moving to Florida, Tennessee, the Carolinas, and other states. In NYC, the crime rates are soaring in every category and the city is filthy. 

You are putting your life on the line riding on the subway. People (mainly women, Asians, and Hasidic Jews) are getting stabbed and tossed onto the train tracks. 

I could go on, but not without sounding political.

It will take the city years to recover, assuming that it will (it usually does).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

My wife and I were there a few times, last couple of trips were for cancer evaluations. NYC has a certain energy about it that's unlike anywhere we've been. We wouldn't want to live there, but we can see ourselves spending a couple of weeks at a time visiting. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Thoughts?

I don't have any.  Never thought about that God forsaken place.  Okay. Maybe I did:

Maybe @Wacka (up thread) is on to something.  Bugs Bunny was ahead of his time. Can they take "Miami Beach Norte" along Florida? Get 'er done Bugs!😆

That's where I got the idea! Remember seeing that one back in the 60s.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Draconator said:

My wife and I were there a few times, last couple of trips were for cancer evaluations. NYC has a certain energy about it that's unlike anywhere we've been. We wouldn't want to live there, but we can see ourselves spending a couple of weeks at a time visiting. 

lol IN MY DREAMS. I mean NYC is the Big Apple for a reason. Ive been a tourist in the city twice visiting my son in Bushwick Brooklyn. It's a totally different scene if you are with a local who knows a lot of off the grid places that are what for me made the trips memorable. Example one place was a bookstore/movie retail store in the front, in the back a small theater seats 12 people and watched a vintage movie, then went to the Knitting Factory music venue to see friends play. And I didn't really do a lot of the more iconic things like the 9/11 memorial or empire state building so if I were rich I'd find a monthly place and take day trips every day on the trains OR just walkabout...a Lot. That's NYC to me. No slouching keep it moving lol

m

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

This thread belongs in PPP. It is impossible to explain what has happened in NYC without getting into politics to some degree, and I'm not willing to go there.

What I feel like I can say is that thousands of people are leaving NYC. Houses on Long Island are selling for at least 5% over the asking prices. There are bidding wars on houses, sight unseen. I know this to be true; my daughter bought one.  In addition to Long Island, folks are moving to Florida, Tennessee, the Carolinas, and other states. In NYC, the crime rates are soaring in every category and the city is filthy. 

You are putting your life on the line riding on the subway. People (mainly women, Asians, and Hasidic Jews) are getting stabbed and tossed onto the train tracks. 

I could go on, but not without sounding political.

It will take the city years to recover, assuming that it will (it usually does).

my brooklyn son escaped the city with help from in laws and purchased a home in Ulster County (Kingston) it is a great NY location with easy access to the city (commutable drive even) Albany, Woodstock etc. He lucked out to buy when he did. The prices were as you wrote going up and up with NYC refugees, they paid 20 grand above ask to get the house. Soooo happy for them. Spare muproom OH YES lol

m

@leh-nerd skin-erd 

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I used to go all the time before the pandemic and always loved NYC. It’s such a unique place. There’s always so much to do.

I have a couple cousins who live there. They are musicians and play multiple shows per week. So I’d usually hang out with them if I had time on my trips. It helps when you have locals to show you around. They were always taking me to see/do something cool.

• Like (+1) 1

I love *visiting* NYC, and it's particularly fun when I get to hang out with my colleagues -- most of who are NYC natives.  They know all of the fun things to do, and the best (and frequently the cheapest) places to eat.  When I used to play/tour with bands, it was also a blast to play shows there, and yes, that included CBGB.

Would never want to live there.  My top end of living in a bigger-than-average city is Boston, and even then it was at that very fine line for me.

For over a decade (until Covid hit), I've taken an annual trip to Manhattan, usually for a 3-night stay.

We always try to pick one scheduled excursion (Statue of Liberty, museums, shows, etc.), a Mets game, then just flying  by the seat of our pants.

I love it.  I love the pace.  I love the atmosphere.  Love the people watching.  Love the attitude of the city.

It's been two years and I'm looking forward to getting back down this summer.

I live about a 3 hour drive north of there.  We hop a train about 2 hours north of the city, then just take the train in and walk (or take a subway) to our hotel.  Used to drive in, but even though it's cheaper, I enjoy the restful trip in/out.

It's one of my most favorite places on the planet.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.