Kansas City Chiefs moving to Kansas?

Just Jack

16 hours ago, MJS said:

There aren't two. It's the same city, but since it is on the border, the city has portions on both sides.

I lived there for 7 years back in the 90s.  Specifically Overland Park KS which is like Orchard Park in relation to Buffalo.  They are two different cities with different state governments etc.  Kansas City KS is a dying city and in a lot of ways undesirable.  Violent crime, high unemployment etc.  Kansas City Missouri is in much better shape economically.  They have the Plaza which is a nice area for shopping, restaurants, and bars.  They have also a nice art museum.  There is a big difference between the 2 cities despite having the same name.

Edited by DCbillsfan
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

This brings up a question - why the hell are there two Kansas Citys?  Makes no sense. Why isn’t the town on the Mizzou side called Missouri City?  

There are other cities that have the same situation Bristol Tn is cut in 2 by the state line part in Tn the other in Va. Maybe when the cities first were laid out they were in one state but as they grew they went over the line into the other state .

Who knows but i would hate to see the Chief's move just the same as i would have the Bills a little different but still the revenue would go to a different state than where they are now so that would be something to argue about .

17 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

This brings up a question - why the hell are there two Kansas Citys?  Makes no sense. Why isn’t the town on the Mizzou side called Missouri City?  

Wouldn't it be more amusing if there was a Missouri City in Kansas to balance it out? Shove the Chiefs over there instead.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

stadium cost have gotten dumb...

Check out this list: 

https://www.stadiumsofprofootball.com/comparisons/

Lincoln Financial Field cost $518 million. Arizona's crazy stadium with the roll out field cost $455 million. 

An open air stadium in the Buffalo market costs 1.4 BILLION? 

In 10 years a stadium will be 2+ billion at a minimum. Team costs will be 5-6 billion. 

While it may not matter to people viewing the games.

Wouldn't it make a big deal in terms of tax revenue? One would think state sales tax would flow to the respective state based on location. 

52 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

I used to walk over the Peace Bridge, to buy beer in Ft. Erie. "What's your purpose of coming to Canada"???  "I'm buying the best beer in the world". The Customs guy would smile, and wave me through. On the American side, Customs would laugh at the skinny kid, with a backpack full of beer, and waive the 75¢ duty..

I walked the bridge in Niagara Falls all the time. I wasn't even aware you could walk on the Peace Bridge.  

FYI my grandfather was a crane operator and helped build the Peace Bridge

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

I lived there for 7 years back in the 90s.  Specifically Overland Park KS which is like Orchard Park in relation to Buffalo.  They are two different cities with different state governments etc.  Kansas City KS is a dying city and in a lot of ways undesirable.  Violent crime, high unemployment etc.  Kansas City Missouri is in much better shape economically.  They have the Plaza which is a nice area for shopping, restaurants, and bars.  They have also a nice art museum.  There is a big difference between the 2 cities despite having the same name.

Agreed - big difference between the two KCs.  

Overland Park is a nice place - as far as KC Metro goes.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, ALF said:

The Chiefs completed a $375 million renovation on the stadium in 2010. They've also done various smaller projects in the past few years.

Opened: August 12, 1972

They are looking at the Bills

And the Kansas angle came up at the time.  It probably is what led to the renovations.

The Chiefs' lease for Arrowhead had a provision that Arrowhead would be a state of the art facility.  By 2010, it wasn't and needed work.  The KC Metro Sports Authority, or whatever it is called...was dragging its feet and/or balking on renovations.

Wyandotte County, Kansas and I think Johnson County, Kansas got involved and offered to build a new stadium on the Kansas side.  I think it was going to be by the NASCAR track, about 10 miles West of KCMO.

That is all it took.  The funding for upgrades was done in the fall. 

It wouldn't surprise me if these comments aren't being used the same way...as some type of bargaining chip.

7 hours ago, Greg S said:

Jets fans hated it. Here is a look back at the final game at Shea.

Somehow i dont think bills fans or fans in general in this era are going to rip up the stadium. I suspect parts will be sold like the Aud.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

7 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Somehow i dont think bills fans or fans in general in this area are going to rip up the stadium. I suspect parts will be sold like the Aud.

The only difference is the Bills aren't moving. Isn't the new stadium going to be right across the street from the current one. With the Jets going from Queens, NY to NJ was a pretty big move. Most of the fanbase back then came from NYC-LI. Even today some fans wish they would move back to NY (not happening) and its been 38 years since they left.

Edited by Greg S
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Greg S said:

The only difference is the Bills aren't moving. Isn't the new stadium going to be right across the street from the current one. With the Jets going from Queens, NY to NJ was a pretty big move. Most of the fanbase back then came from NYC-LI. Even today some fans wish they would move back to NY (not happening) and its been 38 years since they left.

They almost built a new stadium for the Jets in Manhattan as part of the Bloomberg NYC Olympics bid IIRC.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/29/2022 at 3:45 PM, Augie said:

The “Toronto Bills” would make about as much sense as the Utah Jazz. Sure, that made sense in New Orleans, but Salt Lake City is one of the last places I would ever think of when jazz comes up.  If the Miami Hurricanes moved to Minneapolis, or the Phoenix Suns moved to Buffalo……. Did nobody think to come up with a new name?  🤷‍♂️

On 3/29/2022 at 3:50 PM, Motorin' said:

Or the Minneapolis Lakers moving to LA?

Or the Philadelphia Warrions moving to Oakland (Golden State Warriors). (Warriors is historically connected to a Delaware Indian tribe, near Philadelphia.)

Or the Atlanta Flames moving to Calgary.

Or the Charlotte Hornets moving to New Orleans and keeping their name (before becoming the Pelicans). (Charlotte was referred to a "hornet's nest of rebellion" by a British general.)

Probably a lot more examples too.

Edited by chongli

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.