Bills match Bears Offer Sheet for Ryan Bates, 4 yr deal

nato7412

42 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I am higher on Bates then most....has excelled every time he has been given a chance

The question wasn't about talent, it was about whether or not he was going to be a Bear. You said he would.  & you being higher than most on a player is a given for every player who has ever donned the uniform.

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

I find this very peculiar.

Beane did not tender him with a 2nd round designation that would have given abates $3.9 million and would have provided the Bills with a 2nd round pick if he was signed elsewhere.

But Beane was willing to give him a 4 year deal with an average of more than $4 million per season.

I must be missing something.

What is peculiar about this?

As has been stated numerous times - the Bills obviously wanted to do a longer term deal with Bates, but as an RFA it would be a disservice for the agent to sign a deal with 1 year before FA.

If they had been stupid and used the 2nd round tender - you get him at 1 year 3.9 million and then with a full year of tape - he becomes a FA and you most likely lose him.

I am sure Beane had an AAV that he wanted on a longer term deal.  Playing the matching card makes it easy to get the long term deal done.  Using the RFA tag perfectly - get a fair contract on limited snaps and signed before a year with Kromer as an agile lineman.

What you are missing is Beane played this perfectly.

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

I never said that or intimated that. 

I simply said Beane chose not to tender him for what would have been a slightly lower amount, and would have provided additional protection (via a 2nd round pick).

And would have only been 1 year rather than 4.  

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Beerball said:

The question wasn't about talent, it was about whether or not he was going to be a Bear. You said he would.  & you being higher than most on a player is a given for every player who has ever donned the uniform.

Just based off the contract I thought the bears would give him with money biult into the first year.   The bears have cap space.

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

Why does Bates automatically (or even probably) walk next year? is he going to take personal offense at being given a tender?

As far as the misplay is concerned, I think you provided my answer: "no one is making him an offer if it costs a 2nd rounder". So, now instead of us being able to make an offer on our terms, we had to compete with the highest bidder.

Because instead of 5 games as a starter - after next year - he has hopefully over 20 games as a starter and as an unrestricted FA with prices going up - most likely cashes in at a bigger rate.

Bates is a nice fit with Kromer - who like athletic lineman and should be an excellent fit and benefit from better coaching in a better scheme fit.

Basically your idea is a very short term savings of 250K for this year and then hope you can get something done as a FA next year.

Beane decided that a small increase this year might be worth the long term stability of the added 3 years he got on this deal.

Short term and I mean very short term your contract saves a tiny bit.  Long term planning - Beane has you beat badly in this.  

Sorry, but you are just wrong as far as most seem to be concerned.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 6

5 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

They are, like my post says

We didnt cut Beasley to sign anyone, let alone Bates. I love Bease, but the dude did not want to be here... at all... and it was obvious in his body language. Still, we cut Bease what 2 weeks ago? Using our magic ball to predict the great climax to the 79 page Rick Bates thread?

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, DapperCam said:

So we have...

Dawkins - Saffold - Morse - ? - Brown

And the question mark could be Ford, Bates, or Boettger?

I'm guessing the plan is for Bates to replace Saffold next year.

I think Bates continues to play at LG and Saffold moves in to RG.

31 minutes ago, Doc said:

Now we just need a starting CB and they can use the draft to upgrade the lesser talent.

They will need two as it si not clear when White will be back

2 hours ago, Motor26 said:

Still want a tackle who can play guard brought in no later than round 4 in the draft. I’m not completely sold on Bates or Brown and need competition and/or a solid backup. 

I'm with you for the most part on this.

Love the Bates signing and was all for it. But he's an average run blocker (too light in the pants) but he's a very good pass blocker. Hasn't played a full season as a starter. Will he wear down? 

Our line got better when he came in, but, Dawkins also got healthier around the same time and started playing to expectations. Bates played better than Ford, Feliciano and Boetteger, but that's not hard to do. Made less mistakes. Also the OL change how they played. Improved running game helped as well (chicken or the egg.🤔).

He's also currently our backup center. If we didn't extend Morse or he retired, I think Bates was plan A.  Heaven forbid something happens to Morse and we have to shift him to center. Then what? Ford to RG?

I'm hopeful that Ford can improve with a new coach, but, not sure I want to have him as the only option. Boetteger? Have not really heard much of how he's doing after his injury. Are we sure if he will even be ready to play this season or when.

Still want a T/G maybe 4th rnd or later though.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Einstein said:

I find this very peculiar.

Beane did not tender him with a 2nd round designation that would have given abates $3.9 million and would have provided the Bills with a 2nd round pick if he was signed elsewhere.

But Beane was willing to give him a 4 year deal with an average of more than $4 million per season.

I must be missing something.

Pretty simple. Beane has faith that what he saw last season from him in a small sample size will continue. This is proven by his matching the deal. If he signed him to a one year 2nd round tender - then he'd be a FA again after this season. And if he performs up to expectations, the price tag would have went WAY up. 

So in letting him go out and test the market now, he was able to get him long term this year at a much lower price than he expects to have had to next season. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

I'm with you for the most part on this.

Love the Bates signing and was all for it. But he's an average run blocker (too light in the pants) but he's a very good pass blocker. Hasn't played a full season as a starter. Will he wear down? 

Our line got better when he came in, but, Dawkins also got healthier around the same time and started playing to expectations. Bates played better than Ford, Feliciano and Boetteger, but that's not hard to do. Made less mistakes. Also the OL change how they played. Improved running game helped as well (chicken or the egg.🤔).

He's also currently our backup center. If we didn't extend Morse or he retired, I think Bates was plan A.  Heaven forbid something happens to Morse and we have to shift him to center. Then what? Ford to RG?

I'm hopeful that Ford can improve with a new coach, but, not sure I want to have him as the only option. Boetteger? Have not really heard much of how he's doing after his injury. Are we sure if he will even be ready to play this season or when.

Still want a T/G maybe 4th rnd or later though.

Except your theory about run blocking seems a little strange considering the Bills started running the ball at a pace near the top of the NFL in yards per game once he started playing...clearly he had a very positive effect on the run game because Singletary started looking really good at about the same time as well.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.