New "ironclad" Stadium deal reached

jletha

5 hours ago, ALF said:

Enjoy the lower prices for the next 4 seasons. Maybe splurge and try a club or suite seat for a few games. It will be more expensive in the new stadium. Just when inflation is hitting.

Going to have seasons for next 4 seasons then likely drop them with big increase, went to every game last year too. With josh allen in his prime for next 4 years its going to be a fun time!

On 3/29/2022 at 8:13 AM, Mr. WEO said:

Yes, so that would be the other owners, not Pegula, paying the G4 back.  

Players salary taxes are not new revenue for the state, yet this is a new expense for the state..  That money already goes into the general fund of the State.  You can't now say.. "oh it pays for itself".  That money is already spent on other things. 

How are players salaries and the taxes generated not new revenue for the state?

1 hour ago, BillsFan692 said:

I think he’s saying they were already getting this revenue in previous seasons so you’re adding a new cost in the funding for the stadium without adding new revenue because people were already going to games/players were paying salaries before 

14 hours ago, The Wiz said:

I'm sure people are going to complain about this that are not from WNY but the reality is they were going to pay for the stadium one way or another.

Either $600 million in taxpayer money and spend it elsewhere or ~$175 million in taxpayer money and allocate it to the stadium.

There’s a meme floating around that nys had to cut childrens programs to pay for the new stadium.  I’m going to be in a twitter war just for sharing this indisputable fact that 600 million is already payed for 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

1 hour ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

There’s a meme floating around that nys had to cut childrens programs to pay for the new stadium.  I’m going to be in a twitter war just for sharing this indisputable fact that 600 million is already payed for 

That meme is deeply flawed with respect to logical causality.

The programs in question experiencing budget reductions are the result of a halt in temporary pandemic funding. At least that's what has been reported by more credentialed news outlets. 

One could still make compelling arguments about the societal priorities that lead to such seemingly imbalanced budgetary priorities. I'm here for that. But this particular stadium deal is not some uniquely nefarious corruption. Just business as usual.

Public investment in those who need it the least, but who can nonetheless demand it the most.

(Until such unlikely time as anonymous private money is legislated out of our political processes, and somehow a majority of the voting public is able to see the world objectively enough to seize control of its rigged systems.) 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

The programs in question experiencing budget reductions are the result of a halt in temporary pandemic funding. At least that's what has been reported by more credentialed news outlets. 

One could still make compelling arguments about the societal priorities that lead to such seemingly imbalanced budgetary priorities. I'm here for that. But this particular stadium deal is not some uniquely nefarious corruption. Just business as usual.

Public investment in those who need it the least, but who can nonetheless demand it the most.

(Until such unlikely time as anonymous private money is legislated out of our political processes, and somehow a majority of the voting public is able to see the world objectively enough to seize control of its rigged systems.) 

That’s exactly what I told them 😂 but facts do not matter on the internet 

• Haha (+1) 1

People please. Construction projects may just be the ONLY decent investment that your government can make. At their core they are JOBS programs. They put tax money directly back into the LOCAL economy but unlike other ‘socials’ programs they make the people receiving the money actually work for the reward and provide actual training as opposed to the usual waste we hear about in ‘training’ programs. On top of all that, the end product stays with society for what’s often in excess of a half century. Does anyone cry about the $20 million that Rich Stadium cost back in 1972? Of course not!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I think he’s saying they were already getting this revenue in previous seasons so you’re adding a new cost in the funding for the stadium without adding new revenue because people were already going to games/players were paying salaries before 

9 hours ago, BillsFan692 said:

What he said.

Bills players have been paying state taxes since they have been the Buffalo Bills.   How would this money now be considered "new"?

6 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

A flawed social media meme, no way!!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

What he said.

Bills players have been paying state taxes since they have been the Buffalo Bills.   How would this money now be considered "new"?

It is money that is available to the state because the team will continue to play in New York State for at least 34 more years.

If someone else bought the team and moved them to Toronto, LA, or anywhere else in the world (other than NYS), the money would not be available.

• Thank you (+1) 3

On 3/29/2022 at 4:50 PM, eball said:

With all due respect, this post makes no sense at all.  OF COURSE if the Bills aren't there people would have to find other things to do, but it's not what anyone wants because the Bills have been there for more than 60 FREAKING YEARS.  None of those other cities you mention know what they're missing.

It's like saying, "I really love my wife, and I don't want her to leave, but if she does leave I guess I'd have to look for something else to spend my time on because look at all those other single people - they seem fine."

Jesus.

You are speaking from such a narrow point of view.  Its almost funny how you are exasperated by my comment because you only see things through the point of view of an ardent Bills fan.

I would bet the majority of the people living in the area are either not Bills fans or are casual fans.... a lot more than are hardcore fans.  You just don't see it, you don't want to see it from the point of view of those people, or you aren't capable of.  Everything I mentioned above does/would apply to those non-fans or casual fans (you know the ones who won't watch the Bills on TV or only watch them when they are competitive/winning.)

1 hour ago, 13 Second Prevent Defense said:

A flawed social media meme, no way!!!!

A lot of the talk on Reddit is ‘why didn’t they use that money in some sort of infrastructure plan’….the budget includes a 5 year 306 billion dollar infrastructure plan 😂 if you deduct the 550 million tax revenue from the lawsuit the state could fund like 1500 bills stadiums with that money haha 

there just isn’t a lot of context in these articles about the stadium…I don’t think people know how huge these budgets really are 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

For all the people suddenly worrying about public money, look at how much $$ went into "extending" the 219 to the middle of freaking nowhere and just stopping pretty much for good because who knows why.

a handful of years ago they built a brand new expensive bridge for the 219 to travel a few thousand feet, then exit onto the same road that already had a bridge over the same area. They are literally right next to each other. Politicians showed up to be seen, have their picture taken, and take that exciting ride from Springville to just outside of Springville, where they then exit and drive down the road that was already there serving the same purpose. 

LOL you can't make this stuff up. Bridges to nowhere are a thing all over the country. Totally bizarre. We don't even notice because it's so common. 

Either extend it to Salamanca as originally planned or don't bother. But that's how our Gov't  works. More multi million dollar studies and decades of talking (and paying full salaries) for people to do nothing. 

Then waste a ton of money to accomplish practically nothing. Nobody even blinks an eye. 

At least this stadium will get built and serve some purpose for the community. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

On 3/29/2022 at 3:06 AM, Beast said:

I just hope the stadium has a little character if it’s an outdoor facility. Three evenly spaced decks wrapped around the playing field is not what I am hoping for.

esthetics ahh yes I agree. I think they achieved that when the Bisons baseball stadium was constructed. Of course this new football stadium is going to be a brand new shiny addition to Orchard Park. Im surprised  that not much has been spoken about one of the main reasons I was always in favor of the new crib NOT being downtown....and that is our sacred Beloved Tailgating!~!~!!! Who knows how that will all pan out. Im talking mostly about the Hammers Lot crowd. The will be displaced correct? Just curious. oh and this is a pic I found not sure if it has been posted...a prototype of what has been discussed perhaps. Either way Im saving my pennies now for a roadtrip circa completion date #Bucketlist

GO BILLS!~!~~!

prototype stadium.jpg

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Peter said:

It is money that is available to the state because the team will continue to play in New York State for at least 34 more years.

If someone else bought the team and moved them to Toronto, LA, or anywhere else in the world (other than NYS), the money would not be available.

True, but It's still not new money.  It doesn't add anything re: stadium costs.  NYS/Erie have simply added a new expense they have to cover with the same revenue (from the team anyway).

If someone other than Pegula had bought the team in 2014, they would have been personally on the hook for billions in new stadium costs in LA, for instance.  Likely Toronto as well. 

1 hour ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

A lot of the talk on Reddit is ‘why didn’t they use that money in some sort of infrastructure plan’….the budget includes a 5 year 306 billion dollar infrastructure plan 😂 if you deduct the 550 million tax revenue from the lawsuit the state could fund like 1500 bills stadiums with that money haha 

there just isn’t a lot of context in these articles about the stadium…I don’t think people know how huge these budgets really are 

Fundamentally the issue comes down to what governments should and should not do with tax money.  People fall on different sides of the fence on those issues.  What you said is true, the budget is enormous and this is a drop in the bucket.  The  problem (some will say) is the bucket is way bigger than it should be because all these little things add up to a huge numbers is why NY State has huge taxes, county taxes etc.  Once you have a sales tax you can increase it by a small amount and fund new things...over time you get to the bloated condition NY State is in.  This is a case study in the "slippery slope".  I live in New Hampshire, we have no income tax, no sales tax and something like funding for a stadium would be a non starter period, no chance, we are a minimalist government yet people still find things to complain about. 

Edited by 13 Second Prevent Defense
  • Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, muppy said:

esthetics ahh yes I agree. I think they achieved that went the Bisons baseball stadium was constructed. Of course this new football stadium is going to be a brand new shiny addition to Orchard Park. Im surprised  that not much has been spoken about one of the main reasons I was always in favor of the new crib NOT being downtown....and that is our sacred Beloved Tailgating!~!~!!! Who knows how that will all pan out. Im talking mostly about the Hammers Lot crowd. The will be displaced correct? Just curious. oh and this is a pic I found not sure if it has been posted...a prototype of what has been discussed perhaps. Either way Im saving my pennies now for a roadtrip circa completion date #Bucketlist

GO BILLS!~!~~!

prototype stadium.jpg

As has often been said…that photo is of the Tottenham stadium in NE London…which by the way is SUPER modern looking both inside and out. It’s style is the complete opposite of the Seattle and/or Indianapolis stadiums as some on here have promoted over the years. 

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

True, but It's still not new money.  It doesn't add anything re: stadium costs.  NYS/Erie have simply added a new expense they have to cover with the same revenue (from the team anyway).

If someone other than Pegula had bought the team in 2014, they would have been personally on the hook for billions in new stadium costs in LA, for instance.  Likely Toronto as well. 

Everything i read, like anybody else on here , is that the usual NYC blowhards are making a stink .. frustrating for sure, but the State has a surplus due to unused Covid   funds. All posturing , IMHO 

• Like (+1) 1