New "ironclad" Stadium deal reached

jletha

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

So construction for construction's sake?  Just build something to reap some small local bump unto the project is completed?

Why not build something with value?  You get the construction period increase in the local economy ands then the intrinsic value the structure you paid to have built?  Isn't that intuitively a better way to spend the money?

This describes like half of all construction projects to be fair  😂 the budget includes record setting infrastructure and healthcare expenditures 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

My favorite is the pats fans bragging about Kraft privately funding Gillette stadium for a couple hundred million…that stadium is getting pretty dated and there’s no way that dude is dropping 1.5 billion out of his pocket when it’s time for their next stadium

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

2 hours ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

The majority of voters would oppose virtually every government expenditure if they were asked about them separately. The premise of the article is complete garbage. 

If the poll was conducted only in Buffalo this would be an incorrect assumption.  From the article.....

In New York City, 57% of voters said they disapproved of the stadium subsidy deal, while only 19% approved, with the rest undecided.

Meanwhile, 67% of voters in the Syracuse region oppose the deal, as do 61% in the Albany region and 54% in the Rochester region.

Conversely, the Bills’ fan base registered strong support — with 58% of voters expressing support while 31% disapproved.

7 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

If the poll was conducted only in Buffalo this would be an incorrect assumption.  From the article.....

In New York City, 57% of voters said they disapproved of the stadium subsidy deal, while only 19% approved, with the rest undecided.

Meanwhile, 67% of voters in the Syracuse region oppose the deal, as do 61% in the Albany region and 54% in the Rochester region.

Conversely, the Bills’ fan base registered strong support — with 58% of voters expressing support while 31% disapproved.

These are predictable results: solid majorities against in every major city except Buffalo, where 1/3 polled don't want it either....and they are getting a new stadium. 

9 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I have a hard time believing a poll that has 31% of Bills fans opposing funding of a new stadium

• Like (+1) 1

This will not help the discussion in any way shape or form but I’m in a Friday is finally here kind of mood-

This feels like the time I took philosophy in college thinking it would be an easy course because I like to think logically and….therefore this should be a nice course.   WRONG I got a D

I like money.   
Taxes mean less money for me. 
Topics about government spending means spending money I once had but do not anymore

Therefore - I dislike government spending.  

I like the Bills.  
The Bills want government spending to help them.  
I dislike government spending.  
Therefore - I am confused.  

Anyone else put on their middle aged dad persona and just sigh shake your head and move on with their day?   

Go Bills!

11 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

NYC?   😝 

they don’t count 

their teams play in Jersey 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

If downstate people had  their way, not a single dollar would go to WNY for anything

What about the "Buffalo Billion" (dollars) from only 5-6 years ago?

2 hours ago, Lost said:

I have a hard time believing a poll that has 31% of Bills fans opposing funding of a new stadium

Why?  

15 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Agreed, but constructing this is pouring public money into the drain.  Its a 1.35 billion monument to what amounts to extortion.  Build the same amount in housing.  Instant value to many who actually helped fund it, that last way beyond the trucks pulling away and the ribbon cutting.

Don't corporations make deals like that all the time to build things in towns/states?

7 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Don't corporations make deals like that all the time to build things in towns/states?

They usually make deals to lessen their tax burden going forward (think Amazon in Queens).  It's not common for municipalities to hand them their building costs in a large suitcase.   Plus, corporations are usually open for business in their new building more than 10 days a year.

11 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

They usually make deals to lessen their tax burden going forward (think Amazon in Queens).  It's not common for municipalities to hand them their building costs in a large suitcase.   Plus, corporations are usually open for business in their new building more than 10 days a year.

And I wouldn’t travel from out of state 10 times a year, stay in hotels, eat at restaurant, shop at stores, etc to go see an Amazon building. It’s easy to cherry pick from both sides of the fence on this. 

It’s a pointless debate. It’s happening, and each taxpayer in New York will see virtually no difference in their personal tax situation due to this stadium. 

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

My favorite is the pats fans bragging about Kraft privately funding Gillette stadium for a couple hundred million…that stadium is getting pretty dated and there’s no way that dude is dropping 1.5 billion out of his pocket when it’s time for their next stadium

It is like 20 years old, its not dated. By the time the build a new one, 1.5B will sound like what 200M sounds like today.   And all things being equal, the team will pay for it.  Most states/governments are getting away from building these stadiums.  

1 minute ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

And I wouldn’t travel from out of state 10 times a year, stay in hotels, eat at restaurant, shop at stores, etc to go see an Amazon building. It’s easy to cherry pick from both sides of the fence on this. 

It’s a pointless debate. It’s happening, and each taxpayer in New York will see virtually no difference in their personal tax situation due to this stadium. 

Well.....Amazon isn't a tourist attraction that you visit.   It's a place of business that was intending to bring in 25,000+ jobs averaging $150,000 (that alone would bring in $150million in NYC income tax per year), not a rarely used entertainment venue employing a few dozen concession workers and maintenance folks.

But if the above is your argument, yeah--this is a pointless debate.

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Well.....Amazon isn't a tourist attraction that you visit.   It's a place of business that was intending to bring in 25,000+ jobs averaging $150,000 (that alone would bring in $150million in NYC income tax per year), not a rarely used entertainment venue employing a few dozen concession workers and maintenance folks.

But if the above is your argument, yeah--this is a pointless debate.

Oh really I didn’t know that about Amazon. Guess only certain tax money matters to your argument. Thanks for the math lesson, have fun calling into GR for the next 4 years to B word so you can get an attaboy from Schoop.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

Oh really I didn’t know that about Amazon. Guess only certain tax money matters to your argument. Thanks for the math lesson, have fun calling into GR for the next 4 years to B word so you can get an attaboy from Schoop.

I didn't mean to go too too heavy on the math.  And I will tell you, Amazon DID end up buying a building on 5th avenue for a billion dollars of its own money for 3500 new workers/taxpayers.  I'm sure they have some sort of public space/lobby--maybe even a gift shop you can visit from out of state.  Pretty sure they even have a bunch of restaurants in Manhattan (maybe not as good as Anchor Bar or Mighty Taco) you could go to while you're there.  Hotels nearby too, I think.

Check it out!

3 hours ago, Lost said:

That's where the true bias of the article comes into play.  They frame it that everyone polled in the Buffalo area are Bills fans.  There's plenty of people that live in the area that couldn't care less about football.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Lost said:

Most likely they are happy with the old ticket arrangement and don't want to pay new PSLs fee.

In some other stadiums, good seats on the 50 yard line can run as high 20-40k per seat.

Then on top of that you have to purchase season tickets. 

I could see where many Bills fans don't want that additional cost

• Agree 1