New "ironclad" Stadium deal reached

jletha

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Yes.

Joke aside, I think Terry got involved in some personnel decisions early on that blew up in their faces. (Ville Leino, Christian Erhoff) I also think they took some bad advice hiring certain people.

This!  Is Terry still playing “fantasy hockey” owner to some extent?  Who knows. 

Whoever is against the stadium deal should just say "I want the Bills to leave WNY"

Either this deal happens or the team leaves. There is no "yeah but" where NFL owners suddenly have an epiphany and realize how awful it is to take public money. 

At least be honest. 

There is no reality where you're in favor of the team staying but don't want to use massive amounts of public money. That world doesn't exist, so it's pointless to keep writing articles about it. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Whoever is against the stadium deal should just say "I want the Bills to leave WNY"

Either this deal happens or the team leaves. There is no "yeah but" where NFL owners suddenly have an epiphany and realize how awful it is to take public money. 

At least be honest. 

There is no reality where you're in favor of the team staying but don't want to use massive amounts of public money. That world doesn't exist, so it's pointless to keep writing articles about it. 

It really is this simple.

Regardless of anyone's opinion on the matter, this is the bottom line truth. Engaging in hypothetical discussions is completely useless. There is a way things should be, and a way things are.

I for one am extremely happy about this deal.

• Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

At least be honest. 

LA and NJ do, in fact, exist.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

LA and NJ do, in fact, exist.

You just listed two sites with something in common.  Can you figure it out?

Maybe if Buffalo gets a 2nd franchise with 2x psl’s, revenue, etc. and 25 year naming rights agreement worth $500M then the Pegulas could get it done. 

• Like (+1) 4

Compared to SoFi Stadium or Jerry World, the Bills new stadium is basically going to be no frills.  However, for $1.5B i hope there is something unique about the new stadium... I mean it doesn't have to include a deck with hot tubs or anything, but they should incorporate something that you cannot find in any other stadium.

Or around the stadium?  Maybe add a man-made lake and when it freezes over, have it be a huge ice skating rink.  pre-game tailgating could be drunk skating.

Whenever they televise national games from Buffalo, it would be great to see something unique about it, instead of just flags blowing in the wind.

18 hours ago, BTB said:

This!  Is Terry still playing “fantasy hockey” owner to some extent?  Who knows. 

Lets also keep one thing in mind regarding the Pegula's.. They are learning as they go and they got damn lucky Beane and McDermott turned out so well. Nobody knew how well a 1st time coach and GM would do with a franchise desperate to make a rebound.

in regards with the Sabres, they made their mistakes but they are always willing to clean them up.. It just sucks its taking as long as it has, but things are looking up for the Sabres with Adams and Granato.

Edited by ddaryl

3 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Compared to SoFi Stadium or Jerry World, the Bills new stadium is basically going to be no frills.  However, for $1.5B i hope there is something unique about the new stadium... I mean it doesn't have to include a deck with hot tubs or anything, but they should incorporate something that you cannot find in any other stadium.

Or around the stadium?  Maybe add a man-made lake and when it freezes over, have it be a huge ice skating rink.  pre-game tailgating could be drunk skating.

Whenever they televise national games from Buffalo, it would be great to see something unique about it, instead of just flags blowing in the wind.

If its like MetLife ( I hope its better) the new stadium will have wider concourses, more bathrooms, as well as more toilet/urinals in their as well. Going to the restroom at MetLife goes by fast even at halftime when everyone goes there. You will have big screen TV's all around the stadium with the red zone package. So when you are walking in the concourse you will be able to see what is going on with the other games. Of course their will be TV's for the Bills game as well so you don't miss the action if you leave your seat. They will probably have bars and restaurants as well which is proving to be a waste at MetLife since the Jets-Giants crowd tailgates in the parking lot. I would imagine it will be the same for the Bills crowd who also prefer to tailgate. There will also be team stores but that is also a waste since the prices to buy stuff is more expensive at the stadium.

Just now, Greg S said:

If its like MetLife ( I hope its better) the new stadium will have wider concourses, more bathrooms, as well as more toilet/urinals in their as well. Going to the restroom at MetLife goes by fast even at halftime when everyone goes there. You will have big screen TV's all around the stadium with the red zone package. So when you are walking in the concourse you will be able to see what is going on with the other games. Of course their will be TV's for the Bills game as well so you don't miss the action if you leave your seat. They will probably have bars and restaurants as well which is proving to be a waste at MetLife since the Jets-Giants crowd tailgates in the parking lot. I would imagine it will be the same for the Bills crowd who also prefer to tailgate. There will also be team stores but that is also a waste since the prices to buy stuff is more expensive at the stadium.

Apparently Tottenham Hotspur stadium is a reasonable template. Designed by the same firm and similar size, though soccer pitch. I'm not worried. I'm sure it will be pleasing. And best of all, it keeps the Bills in Buffalo.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

You just listed two sites with something in common.  Can you figure it out?

Maybe if Buffalo gets a 2nd franchise with 2x psl’s, revenue, etc. and 25 year naming rights agreement worth $500M then the Pegulas could get it done. 

He said it doesn't exist.  But to answer your question: they both have in common that the public entities would not build these owners a stadium.   

LA?  the town that couldn't support any NFL team for decades now has 2 because one billionaire built a privately funded 5+ billion stadium to house them both. Pretty much every large NFL market has PSL's and naming rights that will be higher than the Bills new stadium will fetch--why even mention it?  It's beside the point.  Even if Pegula could get more for PSLs and naming rights, he would still take the 850 million form the State and County.  

NJ?  See above.  Privately funded. If PSE took on say 70% of the cost of the stadium, the PSL, naming, team specific and league shared revenue would pay their part easily.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

He said it doesn't exist.  But to answer your question: they both have in common that the public entities would not build these owners a stadium.   

LA?  the town that couldn't support any NFL team for decades now has 2 because one billionaire built a privately funded 5+ billion stadium to house them both. Pretty much every large NFL market has PSL's and naming rights that will be higher than the Bills new stadium will fetch--why even mention it?  It's beside the point.  Even if Pegula could get more for PSLs and naming rights, he would still take the 850 million form the State and County.  

NJ?  See above.  Privately funded. If PSE took on say 70% of the cost of the stadium, the PSL, naming, team specific and league shared revenue would pay their part easily.  

That reality doesn't exist in WNY was my point. 

Anyone who suddenly has a crisis of conscience about NY State spending money for this stadium is actively working to torpedo this deal, which means the Bills leave WNY. It really is that simple. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

That reality doesn't exist in WNY was my point. 

Anyone who suddenly has a crisis of conscience about NY State spending money for this stadium is actively working to torpedo this deal, which means the Bills leave WNY. It really is that simple. 

This isn't a serious belief or statement.

People can disagree with the amount of the funding without "actively working to torpedo the deal" resulting in the Bills leaving WNY.  That's certainly what PSE wants you to say.

Perhaps people who object to the amount just wanted more from Pegula, instead of the most generous public contribution to any NFL stadium in the history of the US.  Pretty simple. The public knows he can afford more toward the construction. Those who object can rightly conclude that the state didn't really play hardball with this extremely generous deal.

If this was an item on a public ballot, there's no chance it would pass. 

49 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

This isn't a serious belief or statement.

People can disagree with the amount of the funding without "actively working to torpedo the deal" resulting in the Bills leaving WNY.  That's certainly what PSE wants you to say.

Perhaps people who object to the amount just wanted more from Pegula, instead of the most generous public contribution to any NFL stadium in the history of the US.  Pretty simple. The public knows he can afford more toward the construction. Those who object can rightly conclude that the state didn't really play hardball with this extremely generous deal.

If this was an item on a public ballot, there's no chance it would pass. 

Oh, it's totally understandable to want Pegula to contribute more, but he isn't going to, nor would any other NFL owner in this market. 

The Broncos are expected to sell for as much as 4 billion. Cities elsewhere will bend over backwards to build a stadium to lure an NFL team. The money is getting stupid.

The Bills were once the most expensive team sale in NFL history. Until the next one. Same with the stadium deal. Most generous public money agreement. Until the next one. 

Thus my point: if you (not you particularly, "you" in a general sense of the word) don't support this deal then you are saying "let the team leave." Which is fine, anyone is entitled to an opinion, but just be honest. 

There is not a reality where the state/county "plays hardball" and these billionaires "pay their fair share" and finance it themselves. It's just not living in the real world. 

I am happy the deal is done and the team is staying. We pay plenty of taxes, so let's keep our team here. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2

25 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I am happy the deal is done and the team is staying. We pay plenty of taxes, so let's keep our team here. 

The deal isn't done though yet is it?   Last I heard NY missed the Friday deadline for state budget with the Stadium funding being one of the contention points.   

I agree with all your points though.   Even if there were a current owner willing to shell out 1-2 billion for a stadium, they wouldn't be doing it in WNY.  They'd move the team first.

40 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Oh, it's totally understandable to want Pegula to contribute more, but he isn't going to, nor would any other NFL owner in this market. 

The Broncos are expected to sell for as much as 4 billion. Cities elsewhere will bend over backwards to build a stadium to lure an NFL team. The money is getting stupid.

The Bills were once the most expensive team sale in NFL history. Until the next one. Same with the stadium deal. Most generous public money agreement. Until the next one. 

Thus my point: if you (not you particularly, "you" in a general sense of the word) don't support this deal then you are saying "let the team leave." Which is fine, anyone is entitled to an opinion, but just be honest. 

There is not a reality where the state/county "plays hardball" and these billionaires "pay their fair share" and finance it themselves. It's just not living in the real world. 

There's a difference between paying a relatively small amount out of pocket and "financing it themselves", right?  So why bring that into your argument?  We are talking about paying proportionally more for a building that they will essentially be the only tenant in---and which is ONLY being constructed so that the Pegulas (and, less so, the other owners) can make some more money.

Every team that will be sold will be sold for the highest amount ever.  So what?

LV put up the second highest public funding for a stadium ($750 million), but the Raider still had to put up 1.1 billion.   PSE will skate by with a couple hundred million.  People here are moaning about the stadiums downstate, but if they were serious, they would be calling for Erie County, not the State, to be putting up the bulk of the public funding (say...600 million), as that was the model for the Yankees, Mets, etc.  Let the locals, the ones who, besides the Pegulas, get the benefit from the asset pay for the asset. 

Edited by Mr. WEO

3 hours ago, zow2 said:

It'll for sure be a state-of-the-art experience. Considering what they did with the team training facilities, priority on the latest and greatest technology is a given.

I think there's no doubt that it'll have Buffalo-themed features that are unique.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

48 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

It'll for sure be a state-of-the-art experience. Considering what they did with the team training facilities, priority on the latest and greatest technology is a given.

I think there's no doubt that it'll have Buffalo-themed features that are unique.

Populous, the design architects, are generally best known for more contemporary designs...as opposed to historically referenced...like those in Indy, or Seattle, or Baltimore's Camden Yards (which started the whole historic reference stadium-craze for baseball). So, I'm guessing they'll continue that 'look' with the new Bills Stadium. A little while back I posted some pictures I took of Tottenham, which is very contemporary, even though it sits in a residential neighborhood that reminded me of old WNY.