New "ironclad" Stadium deal reached

jletha

One of the best stadium renovations in all of sports is the Dolphins' Hard Rock Stadium. I loved the indoor/outdoor feel. Walking around, you'd never know this was a near 50-year old stadium. 

aerial-view-drone-photography-hard-rock-

Cool time lapse of the construction: 

Edited by beebe
added video
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, beebe said:

One of the best stadium renovations in all of sports is the Dolphins' Hard Rock Stadium. I loved the indoor/outdoor feel. Walking around, you'd never know this was a near 50-year old stadium. 

I have season tickets for the Hurricanes.  I have to admit that Steve Ross and the Dolphins did a great job with renovating Hard Rock Stadium.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, beebe said:

50?  I believe it is closer to 35. 😉

• Like (+1) 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yes, so that would be the other owners, not Pegula, paying the G4 back.  

Players salary taxes are not new revenue for the state, yet this is a new expense for the state..  That money already goes into the general fund of the State.  You can't now say.. "oh it pays for itself".  That money is already spent on other things. 

The players salaries are not new, but without a new stadium that revenue could leave if the team moves on.

You can not say that it pays for itself, but you can use that revenue source as a source that would potentially leave if the team moves.

So the money itself is used elsewhere, but only comes in because of the money outlayed on the stadium.

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

Other cities without the NFL would include places like....Austin, Tucson, Louisville, Orlando, Raleigh-Durham....Any Canadian City including Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver......not saying I don't want the Bills but just saying.  Without an NFL team life goes on, and often times the money spent on those teams get re-allocated other places and generates other entertainment options.

Again, I do not want the Bills to leave Buffalo at all, but I have to admit I have thought of what it would be like in WNY without the Bills and what may pop up in the void they leave for people to do with their entertainment dollar/time.

So as you say those are all places without the NFL and other things/entertainment pops up, but then why are Austin, Toronto, Oklahoma City, Salt Lake City, etc - always in talks to try and get an NFL city when a potential moves comes up?

Many places like Tucson, Orlando, Raleigh-Durham are already in an NFL teams zone and they already pay taxes that impact the surrounding teams. Whether it is Hotel taxes like in Florida or Tucson or income tax like Raleigh - they provide funding to support the NFL teams that surround them.

If the Bills left WNY - what would pop up?  Very little as we would have next to nothing to generate any local excitement and even more of our tax money would be spent downstate.  If the Bills had left - more than likely the Sabre’s move with the Pegula’s and suddenly you have massive holes n the fabric of the community and your taxable income in the region is dropped significantly.

You are correct the money spent on the teams gets reallocated, but nothing says it stays local - more funds and opportunities leave and locations look for ways to bring it back - see Baltimore, Cleveland, Houston, LA, Oakland, St. Louis - just in football.  You see the same thing in Basketball when teams move, Baseball, and Hockey - suddenly the location that lost the teams finds all kinds of new funds to build a stadium for a new incoming team.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Great stadium even though Spurs play there.

The same firm (Populous) also designed my favorite EPL team back in 2006:

Arsenal's Emirates Stadium - North London is Red - COYG

Populous actually did the HIghmark renovation in 2013 and the Adpro Training Center.  More links below.  Some really gorgeous work by this firm. Very excited to see the structure/plan when it comes out.

https://populous.com/our-projects/stadium-experience/nfl-experience

https://populous.com/our-projects/stadium-experience/soccer-stadiums

https://populous.com/our-projects/master-planning

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, beebe said:

You wouldn’t know it was 50 years old because it is not even close to 50 years old.  

It opened in 1987 - so less than 35 years and it has undergone multiple massive renovations including over 400 million dollars in 2016. With an additional 50-100 million in 2017 to allow for expansion of tennis matches that forced additional modification.

It is a great stadium, but in its 35 years so far they have also put over 1 billion in renovations to bring in baseball (and let it leave), redesign the football, and bring in soccer and tennis.

Basically they have rebuilt the stadium twice in the 35 years - similar to what the Bills asked for several years ago to help get Highmark into the future - Buffalo just chose minor renovations rather than putting 500 million into the stadium and basically retrofitting it like KC and Lambeau.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

The players salaries are not new, but without a new stadium that revenue could leave if the team moves on.

You can not say that it pays for itself, but you can use that revenue source as a source that would potentially leave if the team moves.

So the money itself is used elsewhere, but only comes in because of the money outlayed on the stadium.

The amount lost if the team left town is a tiny fraction of what is being fronted for the stadium.  

Far more millionaires have already left NY than are employed by the Bills...yet it still can afford to blow billions in Buffalo.

Psyched to see how it turns out. I’m on #TeamDome (or retractable roof) but it sounds like this new stadium will be partially covered. They went all out with their weight room and team office renovations a few years back so I’d assume the new joint will be very modern, state of the art type stuff. Can’t wait to see the mock-ups and drawings for it. 

1 hour ago, beebe said:

The coefficients required for snow loads would make that roof really expensive to build without impacting site lines with traditional columns.   They would have to get super creative. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

You wouldn’t know it was 50 years old because it is not even close to 50 years old.  

It opened in 1987 - so less than 35 years and it has undergone multiple massive renovations including over 400 million dollars in 2016. With an additional 50-100 million in 2017 to allow for expansion of tennis matches that forced additional modification.

It is a great stadium, but in its 35 years so far they have also put over 1 billion in renovations to bring in baseball (and let it leave), redesign the football, and bring in soccer and tennis.

Basically they have rebuilt the stadium twice in the 35 years - similar to what the Bills asked for several years ago to help get Highmark into the future - Buffalo just chose minor renovations rather than putting 500 million into the stadium and basically retrofitting it like KC and Lambeau.

And it's still being remodeled right now. I went to a concert there a couple months back and all the parking was dug up on one side of the stadium. I think it's the tenis project still.

• Like (+1) 1

Open air and OP is the correct choice 

With inflation and cost of construction .. not to mention all the infrastructure costs of a downtown stadium.. the politicians of wny finally did something right 

You don't mess with a good thing and the GameDay experience at a Bills game in the best in the NFL

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

The coefficients required for snow loads would make that roof really expensive to build without impacting site lines with traditional columns.   They would have to get super creative. 

Creativity is part of the job, but new technology/building materials (ETFE plastic) makes this a much easier task these days. They don't have to be as creative as you think. Columns obviously won't be needed and they plan on temp-control features for every seat in the stadium.