Bills status for Week 2 of UFA (Beane: We are pretty much Done; now shifting focus to Draft. And LIED to all of us. ).

MAJBobby

23 minutes ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

Okay someone is spreading a rumor that the Atlanta Falcons offered the Bills a 1 and a 2 this year and next year with also a bunch of picks for Josh Allen if Beane would consider that someone should Laure him into a basement and lock the door and tell him we will let you know when it is safe to come out.

Yeah, totally believable rumor.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, MasterStrategist said:

Great FA, biggest positional need in order:

1. CB: likely need 2.  Somehow find a FA, still options to swing a 1 yr deal, and an early-mid draft pick.  Alot hinges on when they think that Tre will be healthy to play.

2. G/IOL: need another starter, or at least someone to compete with or potentially replace Bates if he is signed elsewhere.  Round 1-3 ideally.

3. WR: would love another playmaker, but not sure we "need" someone round 1.  Another outside guy is preferable.  With a deep draft, this could be anywhere round 1-4 but I'd think round 2-3 is going to be best value.

4. RB: still think we could look to upgrade, or very least look for a complimentary type, ie: speed/scatback.

5. Depth: Tackle, IOL, LB/ST, CB and Dline.  I'd expect our round 4-7 to fill in some depth and look for someone who might have slid.

Overall, I think we are set up very nicely going into draft to focus on BPA, but #1 and 2 on list above should certainly be an early focus.

LB is another position I wouldn’t be surprised if the Bills addressed earlier than expected.  With Tremaine entering last year of his deal, Beane may want to have a potential backup plan in place.

27 minutes ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

Okay someone is spreading a rumor that the Atlanta Falcons offered the Bills a 1 and a 2 this year and next year with also a bunch of picks for Josh Allen if Beane would consider that someone should Laure him into a basement and lock the door and tell him we will let you know when it is safe to come out.

I don’t think any Gm would insult the Bills my making an offer for Josh. 

32 minutes ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

Buffalo should sign some guy off the street also named Josh Allen. The Ol’ Switcharoo!

This team could use 2 firsts and 2 seconds the next two years. This could be our Hershel Walker. But instead of an NFL quality RB the Falcons get some guy named Josh Allen who used to work in prepared foods at Wegmans. 

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Where’d you hear this? Nevermind. You didn’t.

I’ll be surprised -if not shocked-if Tre isn’t ready to go Opening day.  But yes, we need at least 1 more vet added.

To my knowledge, there have been no official updates on Tre White's recovery.

Most people are making assumptions based on the typical ACL tear timeline for a professional athlete (which is usually between 10-11 months).  Unfortunately, White's injury occurred on Thanksgiving in late November.  Going by the average rehab time, it sounds pretty unlikely that he is back for the opening week.  Yes, some players have made it back in 9 months.  However, a more realistic outlook is probably sometime in October.

I would be totally shocked if Brandon Beane doesn't add a veteran Cornerback with significant starting experience sometime in the next few weeks.  Every year, he preaches going into the draft without glaring holes.  That way he can go "Best Player Available" in each round, and not worry about reaching for a need position.  We can't be a serious Super Bowl contender with Dane Jackson, Cam Lewis and/or a rookie as our opening day starters.

After last year's draft, Beane also openly admitted that CB was a position he wanted to address (specifically in Round 2 when he took Boogie Basham).  But the value just wasn't there when our pick came up.  It's an even bigger need this year.  Our depth chart at that position is pretty much the same... only with Tre White rehabbing an injury and Levi Wallace gone in Free Agency.

There are still a few decent names left in Free Agency, and you would hope someone is willing to take a discount to play for a contender:

Patrick Peterson, Joe Haden, Kyle Fuller, Stephon Gilmore (you never know), Xavier Rhodes, Janoris Jenkins, Chris Harris, Jason Verrett.

Then you still have the rumors of James Bradberry available for trade.

• Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

Maybe had the team mixed up and it was for the Josh Allen in Jax.

I would go down the Forrest Lamp road again. he is an interesting player with Athletic upside. Still young. He was in camp with us and pretty much hurt the entire time. But I have always been intrigued by the guy and he would come on at a minimum deal. 

If Bates goes, I would not hate a stopgap like a Trai Turner, who is only 28. I also like the upside of Will Hernandez. 

Swing tackle? I think they like Doyle. The best guy on the market is probably Germaine Ifedi. Good athlete, but has been pretty meh so far. A cheaper swing guy with experience is Josh Wells, former JAG and Buccaneer. But he has played quite a bit in spot duty. 

Corner wise I want Bradberry. Not sure if it's possible. I also like Kyle Fuller. But I would rather draft a young corner in the first. I still really like Kevin King. I have a thing for Washington Husky corners. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I don’t think Bobby was being too serious…

He shoulda known what this place is like....... the vultures were plucking his eyes out before he had managed a sarcasm emoji.

52 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I would go down the Forrest Lamp road again. he is an interesting player with Athletic upside. Still young. He was in camp with us and pretty much hurt the entire time. But I have always been intrigued by the guy and he would come on at a minimum deal. 

If Bates goes, I would not hate a stopgap like a Trai Turner, who is only 28. I also like the upside of Will Hernandez. 

Swing tackle? I think they like Doyle. The best guy on the market is probably Germaine Ifedi. Good athlete, but has been pretty meh so far. A cheaper swing guy with experience is Josh Wells, former JAG and Buccaneer. But he has played quite a bit in spot duty. 

Corner wise I want Bradberry. Not sure if it's possible. I also like Kyle Fuller. But I would rather draft a young corner in the first. I still really like Kevin King. I have a thing for Washington Husky corners. 

To the bolded - if this is true consider counselling. 

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He shoulda known what this place is like....... the vultures were plucking his eyes out before he had managed a sarcasm emoji.

To the bolded - if this is true consider counselling. 

I know he hasn't been very good in GB, but I think he would be better in our scheme. Not ideal, I want to draft a guy in the 1st. But a body with good size and speed. 

1 minute ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I know he hasn't been very good in GB, but I think he would be better in our scheme. Not ideal, I want to draft a guy in the 1st. But a body with good size and speed. 

He is physically talented, no doubt. But I didn't like him coming out because he had lots of mental mistakes on tape and I still see them four years later. Don't think he has it upstairs. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

On the crazed-former-Colts-punter show, Pat asked Beane "we'll give you anything, trade us Josh Allen.  What would it take?" 

Beane smiled and said "I'd trade myself before I'd trade Josh"

The Falcons may have called, but Josh is not available.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

Don't forget to bring out "The Gimp" too!

22 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Where’d you hear this? Nevermind. You didn’t.

I’ll be surprised -if not shocked-if Tre isn’t ready to go Opening day.  But yes, we need at least 1 more vet added.

You should be shocked if he is ready by week 1 because that is significantly faster than the average timeline for an ACL recovery.

Bills have only 64 currently on the roster after Beane did his last few signings.

8 rookies added takes it to 72.  He is not going to sign 18 UDFAs.

I expect more "just above vet minimum" signings like Johnson and Mancz.

Might see a vet CB a little higher than that.

IMO I think everything is going pretty good so far!

3 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Heres the deal, Brandon Beane may be done seeking out existing free agents but that doesn't mean some "surprise free agent" won't approach Brandon Beane with an deal he just can't pass up.

Astute observation.

Similar observation, Beane may be done seeking out trades, but that doesn't mean some surprise trade partner won't approach him with a deal.

I'll put something out there though.  We currently have 5 deals where salary information is NOT available, meaning the Bills have probably not filed the paperwork with the League Office.  One is recent (Crowder, yesterday) but the others have been out there for a while.  Barkley was reportedly agreed last week but just came to Buffalo for his physical and to sign this week.  But  Phillips and Lawson signed last week and both have video up on the Bills website of them signing contracts.

Right now Spotrac shows the Bills as having $4.17M available, which is probably not enough to sign all 4 even with pushing $3.4M of offsetting contracts out of the "top 51".

So why are the Bills keeping this money open?  Well, maybe just for that reason - keeping some money free for "surprise free agents" or trade offers.

22 hours ago, MJS said:

This is extremely unlikely. We don't even want him back by the opener. We want him to get completely right before he comes back.

"Back by the opener" would mean he has returned to "athletic activity" (practice) in less than 9 months (9 months ~Sept 16th)

Per BangedupBills (PT Dr Kyle Trimble) that is associated with a higher rate of re-injury.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.