Levi Wallace gone to the Steelers on 2-year deal

Roundybout

1 hour ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

It's a two way street.  I have a feeling Levi felt a little disrespected.

I think there could be something to that.

Anyway, it seems to me that after all the rookie "visits" that has happened Beane feels he has a couple of good draftable players.

• Like (+1) 1

Spotrac had Wallace valued at $9.2M per year. He signs for less than half of that? Or did he get $8M per year? Can't believe the Bills wouldn't have matched that deal? Or maybe they don't believe he was even worth $4M per year? If Wallace signed for $4M per, than Spotrac is a joke, and has no value when trying to forecast talent value. I don't believe a team with SB aspirations can start a rookie at CB. Especially with a late 1st round pick.      

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Ross Murdock said:

Spotrac had Wallace valued at $9.2M per year. He signs for less than half of that? Or did he get $8M per year? Can't believe the Bills wouldn't have matched that deal? Or maybe they don't believe he was even worth $4M per year? If Wallace signed for $4M per, than Spotrac is a joke, and has no value when trying to forecast talent value. I don't believe a team with SB aspirations can start a rookie at CB. Especially with a late 1st round pick.      

I'm a little befuddled myself but...........

First, Spotrac just uses past signing and "their" interpretation of a players skill.  They are as close "in total" as any other site.

Second, maybe Wallace didn't want to stay in Buffalo.

Third, it could be that Beane and Company have a lot of rookies they are interested in that fit the system better for less $s.

We all will have to wait to see what happens.

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

This tells me we are drafting a corner at 25

It also could be that they have multiple CBs they feel they can draft by the 2nd round.

• Agree 1

I don't understand this at all.   He was our CB1 following Thanksgiving.  4 mill a year for 2 years is GREAT CB2 money.  WTF.  I'm sure there is an explanation, but I don't know what it could possibly be, unless the plan is Jackson at CB2, draft someone, and save this money for a big FA pass rusher.  

In the past, Beane seems to always fill out the roster enough such that he can go any direction in the draft.

Losing Levi was always a possibility, but that $4M/year figure sure raises an eyebrow.

There’s too much of a hole at CB. The Bills must have someone else in mind, right?

Given Beane’s M.O., it’s hard to imagine them going into the draft without nabbing at least one FA CB that could start.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

Maybe Levi got tired of the Bills trying to replace him every offseason and decided to move to greener pastures?  I won't miss his mandatory PI per game but he was decent enough, especially if he could be had for only $4m/yr.

If he was tired of competition at CB2, then he is soft.  But he played really well as our CB1 (not elite, but well) following Tre's injury.  Not getting him back at 4mill/year is puzzling.  

3 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

It was a nice story and he was ok. But we need speed. Bring me Donte Jackson

I like Jackson.  Would have liked to keep them both!  

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Ross Murdock said:

missing the market on a relatively volatile asset isn’t suddenly being a joke - 

it’s an educated guess 

1 minute ago, RyanC883 said:

If he was tired of competition at CB2, then he is soft.  But he played really well as our CB1 (not elite, but well) following Tre's injury.  Not getting him back at 4mill/year is puzzling.  

I like Jackson.  Would have liked to keep them both!  

I feel like Dane Jackson gave us a similar level of ability. I think it was time to move on from guys like Harry and Levi. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I don't understand this at all.   He was our CB1 following Thanksgiving.  4 mill a year for 2 years is GREAT CB2 money.  WTF.  I'm sure there is an explanation, but I don't know what it could possibly be, unless the plan is Jackson at CB2, draft someone, and save this money for a big FA pass rusher.  

frankly it’s cheap veteran CB3 money. 

• Like (+1) 2

Much as I respect our FO overall, I think letting Levi go, especially at this type of number, is a big loss for our depth at a position of vital importance. He was the epitome of a process guy and beat out everyone the Bills brought in year after year—Steelers are suddenly treating us like we treat Carolina? 🤷‍♂️

10 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I feel like Dane Jackson gave us a similar level of ability. I think it was time to move on from guys like Harry and Levi. 

Provided we get replacements that are an upgrade, goes without saying…

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Levi is a lot better than a lot of the foolish takes on this board.  He won’t be easy to just replace with a rookie.  

Id much rather sign a vet and then draft a guy early as well.  

Some foolish takes, but also honest opinions about his limitations (ie: struggles to match up against bigger Wrs, not super athletic/speed type, etc.).  But he's experienced, great dude/seemed well liked and super hardworking.  

But at $4m per, you get a similar player with Dane Jackson stepping in.  Very similar athletically, Dane is more physical/willing tackler and matches up against bigger Wrs a bit better.  Less fluid in hips/turning to run with WRs though.  Ideally, Dane is our #3 outside corner and agree we should be looking at CB ralry in draft.

There's also a reason Levi was constantly fighting for his #2 spot and never outright "locked it down".  Also let's not forget, he was burnt on a double move for 6 against Mac in the playoffs, if not for Micah making an unbelievable play.  Followed by, getting torched by KC.  I'm sure the staff will be looking for more athletic corners in FA and draft.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Our last memory of him is being 4 yards behind Travis Kelce down the middle seam. Good night sweet prince. 

Exactly, the kiss of death. Happy trails Levi, what a great UDFA but it's well past time for an upgrade.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Seems to me if Wallace isn’t good at $8 mil a year, he still isn’t good at $4 mil a year. McD knows CB’s and saw that Wallace reached his ceiling. McD also saw White get hurt and knows they need to start planning for when White’s next deal is up. This means drafting a CB high and then paying him the money and letting White walk in 4 years. 

• Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.