McKenzie signing indicates big deals are just waiting for noon

Desert Bills Fan

I was thinking about what that signing of L’il Dirty could indicate? I was thinking what other Bills major deals are all set , just waiting for noon announcements.
Yesterday Brady announces he is coming back - well then Gronk is not going anywhere.

And McKenzie indicates to me, all those other slot receivers we were hoping for, won’t be coming. McCaffrey as the Swiss Army knife = nope. 
still hoping for another couple veterans: a wideout hedging against Stephon or Gabe injury. And a RB upgrade from Breida.

defensive side of the ball? I think still wide open….

any other ideas on what this signing means?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

Just now, Santana said:

I just think it means that they wanted to keep him honestly. 

To be sure, but I do think it means Beasley is likely gone, because I don't think McKenzie would have come back to understudy behind Beasley another year.  He made it clear he thinks he can start in the slot, and why wouldn't he look for that  vs. re-signing here?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

To be sure, but I do think it means Beasley is likely gone, because I don't think McKenzie would have come back to understudy behind Beasley another year.  He made it clear he thinks he can start in the slot, and why wouldn't he look for that  vs. re-signing here?

Absolutely. Once the story broke that Beasley was seeking a permission for a trade, figured he was as good as gone.

Edited by Santana

IMO McKenzie re-sign indicates that the Bills are likely going WR in RD2 or RD3, although RD1 is not out of the question. He is essentially on a 1 year deal and he's a proven commodity and has comfort with the offense.  This allows them to either (a). draft a 2nd round WR and not force him into being a starter which also allows them to not pass a high end CB or DL if one falls to them at 25 OR (b). draft Jameson Williams at 25 and not havbe to worry about rushing him into the lineup too quickly.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's an easy assumption, but we don't really know what McKenzie thinks about the situation. His agent could have let him know that there was not a strong market for him so the best deal he could get was with the Bills.

19 minutes ago, MJS said:

That's an easy assumption, but we don't really know what McKenzie thinks about the situation. His agent could have let him know that there was not a strong market for him so the best deal he could get was with the Bills.

I doubt the Bills offer McKenzie the deal he signed if he didn't have other suitors they had to outbid (note by outbid, I don't mean bigger number, I mean more favorable terms).  He gets $1.275 guaranteed per Spotrac.

As far as what McKenzie thinks about the situation, he seems like a fairly heart-on-his-sleeve guy so I'm assuming the stuff he said in his after season podcast with Ty Dunne is on point.  He made it pretty clear he thinks he can start in the slot and he's looking for a bigger role.  The assumption is just that he meant what he said

• Agree 1

Is it possible the Bills make a splash?  Sure, but this signing does not indicate that at all.  The Bills have at least 15 holes to fill and I think the probability of a Splash move doesn't appear to be likely.   I hope that I'm wrong.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I doubt the Bills offer McKenzie a 2 year, $8M deal if he didn't have other suitors they had to outbid (note by outbid, I don't mean bigger number, I mean more favorable terms)

As far as what McKenzie thinks about the situation, he seems like a fairly heart-on-his-sleeve guy so I'm assuming the stuff he said in his after season podcast with Ty Dunne is on point.  He made it pretty clear he thinks he can start in the slot and he's looking for a bigger role.  The assumption is just that he meant what he said

I'm seeing 2 years, $4.4 million being thrown around now. Do we know what the real number is?

57 minutes ago, Desert Bills Fan said:

I was thinking about what that signing of L’il Dirty could indicate? I was thinking what other Bills major deals are all set , just waiting for noon announcements.
Yesterday Brady announces he is coming back - well then Gronk is not going anywhere.

And McKenzie indicates to me, all those other slot receivers we were hoping for, won’t be coming. McCaffrey as the Swiss Army knife = nope. 
still hoping for another couple veterans: a wideout hedging against Stephon or Gabe injury. And a RB upgrade from Breida.

Running backs can and should be picked up in this year's  draft,not free agency. Too many other needs and still too close to  the cap. 

29 minutes ago, MJS said:

I'm seeing 2 years, $4.4 million being thrown around now. Do we know what the real number is?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/isaiah-mckenzie-21914/

1yr deal.  You would save 625k by releasing him during camp this year, which you would then lose by bringing a contract into the 53. 

Year 2 is very reasonable though, with a dead cap of only like 700K if they were to cut him after camp etc.  

He's in the mix for slot, gadget, etc. snaps.  Looks like they just need 1 guy for the top 4 role most likely.  

Edited by dneveu

1 hour ago, Desert Bills Fan said:

Signings don't start until Wednesday

He needs to be more prominent in the offense.  When he comes on the field Defenses Key on his Jet Sweeps.  Very Similar to when Kumerow and Davis on the field at the same time means Run.  Daboll got way to predictable with what plays came from what personnel groupings.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.