Cole Beasley given permission to seek trade

BillsMafi$

I’m not surprised, even though I prefer he stay.  

We need to free some cap space up somewhere.  I still think it’s plausible he winds up with the Giants given he comes off the books next year and he knows Dabolls offense and can be a safety bal let for whoever plays QB for them this year.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Yeah, but teams know if he doesn't get traded, the Bills will end up cutting him.  So the only reason to make a trade would be you get hm exclusively if some team is worried he wouldn't sign with them.  But when factoring in his contract, age, and knowing he'll be cut, will be surprised if a trade is made.

His agents know he’ll likely get less on the open market than what he is making now. So it’s in Beasely’s best interest to secure a trade. The Bills don’t have to accept it though. Lots of moving parts here. The Bills are probably just fairly comfortable cutting him though. The trade request is all Beas. 

Edited by Saint Doug
  • Agree 4

1 minute ago, streetkings01 said:

Yea I don’t get it myself……he’s been rock solid the past 3 seasons for us.

This term is exactly why I think we need to, not only move off him, but some other guys that we will/may move off…

That term is “rock solid”

We have too many “rock solid” guys and not enough game-changers.  

We have 3 actual game-changers, and one is entering the season coming off an injury.

Allen, Diggs, White.. that’s it.  Nobody else has shown the consistency required to be viewed as a true game-changer.  

Lots of “rock solid” guys though… which can be enough if we just depend on Josh Allen to go Super Saiyan every Playoff run… but that’s not fair to him, and also can come up short when our coaches decide to spaz in the final 13 seconds.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Like the saying goes....be careful what you wish for.

Beasely is a polarizing figure given his politcal/vaccination stance and comments but he's still a top 5 player in terms of slot receiver in this league and I still think he was somewhat under utilized in the offense despite the ridiculous numbers he's posted.

So unless there is a real plan to replace him not named Isaiah McKenzie I wouldn't want to release or trade him in a hasty move.

I doubt it will be a hasty move. GMs work every day on the roster and contracts

14 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Bills were hoping Stevenson might flash, and maybe they think he still will.  Point is, as you say, it's easier to flash early.  All it takes is speed and the right mental approach in the player, and coaching.  The Chiefs have shown that with Mahomes, Kelce and Hill, Reid can plug and play inexperienced speed and get good performance.  Rams can too.  Bucs.  

The truth is that most starters in the NFL are in danger of losing their jobs every year.  There's always another guy coming along who isn't exactly the same but who brings value and costs less.  

It's a brutal business.  

Yes it is a brutal business. We all love what Beasley brought but we felt the same about Robert Woods and John Brown. In life you either get too expensive or too old. There's alot of fast wrs in this draft who might actually help dig us out of YAC last place.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Southern Bills Fan said:

I’m surprised at all the people who want him gone. He made some incredible catches and moves for first downs to keep the chains moving in some important spots. 

There an undertone to this, I’m sure you can figure it out. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, HamSandwhich said:

There an undertone to this, I’m sure you can figure it out. 

Im not exactly in favor of keeping Beas, but I love the guy as a person.  

The funny thing is, they won’t say a word about guys like Davis or Brown, who are the types of guys that Beasley was speaking out to protect.  

9 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Yes it is a brutal business. We all love what Beasley brought but we felt the same about Robert Woods and John Brown. In life you either get too expensive or too old. There's alot of fast wrs in this draft who might actually help dig us out of YAC last place.

The truth is that the league forces teams to reinvent their offense every year.  If you bring this year the same stuff you brought last year, you're gonna get stopped.  Bills aren't immune from that reality.  The salary cap makes it doubly imperative to move on from the past, even the short-term past, and move on to something else you can make work.  When you stop and think about, practically no teams have static receiver rooms for more than two seasons.  Everyone is always bringing something new.   It's an imperative that makes Beane's job so important, because he has to keep moving on and finding the something new that works for the coaches.

• Agree 1

Beasley brought a lot to the Bills.  But it's time to move on for 3 reasons:

1.  Age/decline - while his stats last season were similar to the previous season, he clearly has lost a step and it not likely to ever regain it as he gets older.  Better to move on before it's too late.  New England did a great job of this during their Super Bowl years.

2.  Salary - the Bills are over the cap and need to save money.  Perhaps Beasley was approached about a pay cut and he declined.

3.  Distraction - regardless of your position on vaccines, Beasley's very public stance on this topic was a distraction to the team.  Also, it could be argued that his unwillingness to get vaccinated put himself, teammates, and others are greater risk for contracting the virus (whether or not it's a "winning" argument, it exists, and adds to the distraction).

-----------------------

4.  I saw something earlier in this thread about Beasley being critical of the defense after the KC game, perhaps even on the plan ride back from KC.  While criticism is certainly warranted (for both 13 seconds and OT), it's a team game and he should have kept his mouth shut.  Allen was let down by the defense more than anyone, and I have heard nothing critical from him.  I'm not counting this as one of my main 3 points, because I don't know how true this is, but if true, I'd have 4 points, not 3.

Edited by msw2112
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Southern Bills Fan said:

I’m surprised at all the people who want him gone. He made some incredible catches and moves for first downs to keep the chains moving in some important spots. 

Grievance or a perceived one is a powerful motivator.  

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Im not exactly in favor of keeping Beas, but I love the guy as a person.  

The funny thing is, they won’t say a word about guys like Davis or Brown, who are the types of guys that Beasley was speaking out to protect.  

You know, I never paid a lot of attention to the off-season Beasley theater.  I'd never thought of it as Beas trying to protect anyone, although the others did get cover from him, that's true.  And given the kind of guy Beas seems to be, I can imagine him going to Brown and Davis and telling them to keep their heads down and their mouths shut.  

I never thought Beas was trying to start a movement; just more that felt he was being pressured to do things that should be exclusively his choice, and he disliked it so much he had to speak out.  I thought he, too, should have kept his mouth shut, but I had to respect the sincerity of his stated position.  

He's an interesting guy.   I loved him from the day after the first playoff loss to the Chiefs, when he was asked if the loss will motivate him in 2022.  He said something like, "I don't need to lose football games to be motivated.  I can't possibly be any more motivated than I already am."  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

4.  I saw something earlier in this thread about Beasley being critical of the defense after the KC game.  While criticism is certainly warranted (for both 13 seconds and OT), it's a team game and he should have kept his mouth shut.  Allen was let down by the defense more than anyone, and I have heard nothing critical from him.  I'm not counting this as one of my main 3 points, because I don't know how true this is, but if true, I'd have 4 points, not 3.

I think you misattributed that to Beas, it was unfortunately McKenzie.  I say unfortunate because I think that will do McKenzie in also.  The little blurbs about dissension make focusing on culture and fit a little more relevant.  There had been a big opportunity here for McKenzie but he doesn't seem like a fit.

I am with a lot of others who believe the FO let Beas know of the salary reduction in their plans.  I trade is a great way to save face and attempt to get something for him.  I don't think anyone will bite.

I have preferred from the start a Gronk for Beas tradeoff.  Adding another WR was always in the plans.  Easier to get a good WR than a good experienced TE.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.