Walter Football Mock with the Hot Take on our MLB

Richard Noggin

1 hour ago, george c said:

I don’t get the Edmunds hate. Two linebackers patrol the middle.A LOT is asked from them. No chance we give up on Edmunds.

Nothing about him screams elite, game changer, or frankly dependable. His play is inconsistent. Imho, he's more a liability than a asset. Many games you never even hear his name called. He gets blocked by running backs and lineman which he cannot shed to make a tackle. Routinely gets burned in pass coverage. Look at how many sacks and ints he has. He doesn't make big play with the exception of missing his gap where an opposing RB runs for 40 yards. I think I've been impressed with two or three games he's played as a Bill. Additionally, he doesn't seem to be a leader. The guy has pretty much under preformed in every area. Sure he's young and can improve. I just don't see it. He isn't the type of LB that leads defenses to championships. I think he's a stop gap kind of player. Hope that helps.

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Tremaine hasn’t been a “huge bust,” but he hasn’t been a difference maker either. His instincts are below average for a MLB, but his size and athleticism are elite. Put the two together and you get a slightly above average linebacker, though I couldn’t argue if someone else were to just call him “average.”
Despite being the defensive captain and getting everyone set on defense, his mental acuity and processing do him no favors. I don’t think he’ll ever be a defensive playmaker, a guy the opposing team absolutely fears and has to account for.

I get your point, but you just described a bust for a player drafted 16th overall.  He can play in this league and it’s not his fault that he was drafted too early, but that’s how draft picks are judged.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

But I thought the Bills DT's were a liability...........so Edmunds couldn't make plays in run defense?

The issue with Edmunds is simple...........he plays a position in a system that is designed to put him around the ball A LOT..............and he doesn't make the kind of plays that turn games.........passes defensed, TFL, sacks, QB hits, pressures, FF, FR, INT.

The reasons are

1. A lack of in-game instincts or mental acuity.........he generally achieves the minimum result on every play he does make.

2. An inability to get off of blocks...........which turns him into a tumbleweed on screen plays and leads to him being maybe the worst blitzing LB in the entire NFL(no exaggeration.......he went like 140 blitz attempts with 1 pressure in 2019-2020).

Well said! 

9 hours ago, Process said:

You know how you go to Chiefs Planet and every post is "RAPE", "POOP", "KILL YOURSELF!!!"?

Those guys have more football knowledge than Walter football. 

With that said, if we get to 25 and Dean is still there, and a team offered us an early 2nd Rd pick or better for Edmunds, it would be a no brainer.

“Those guys”?

I thought you were just referring to Jackson Mahomes’ post history there. 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

This is the London Fletcher debate all over again. Bills fans always complained about Fletcher. 

No it's definitely not.

Fletcher made more plays AND a lot more tackles than Edmunds.

There were complaints about him not being undersized and not a great run stuffer...........but not about his instincts or ability to get off blocks and make plays.

People think Edmunds has lacked support from his DL...........what Fletcher got when he arrived in Buffalo was much worse.

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

But I thought the Bills DT's were a liability...........so Edmunds couldn't make plays in run defense?

The issue with Edmunds is simple...........he plays a position in a system that is designed to put him around the ball A LOT..............and he doesn't make the kind of plays that turn games.........passes defensed, TFL, sacks, QB hits, pressures, FF, FR, INT.

The reasons are

1. A lack of in-game instincts or mental acuity.........he generally achieves the minimum result on every play he does make.

2. An inability to get off of blocks...........which turns him into a tumbleweed on screen plays and leads to him being maybe the worst blitzing LB in the entire NFL(no exaggeration.......he went like 140 blitz attempts with 1 pressure in 2019-2020).

So you must think Devin Bush, Devin White, Lavonte David, Fred Warner, Bobby Wagner, and Myles Jack also have no instincts and can’t get off blocks right? Give me a break.

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

No it's definitely not.

Fletcher made more plays AND a lot more tackles than Edmunds.

There were complaints about him not being undersized and not a great run stuffer...........but not about his instincts or ability to get off blocks and make plays.

People think Edmunds has lacked support from his DL...........what Fletcher got when he arrived in Buffalo was much worse.

Later he did. He was always criticized for making tackles down field. 

Edmunds and Milano have lacked support from the DL. The DL does not occupy blocks in the run game. You should know that since you watch close from your Edmunds analysis.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Freddie's Dead said:

If you've never seen "The Big Lebowski", do yourself a favor and see it.  The reference is to Walter, played by John Goodman, a slightly unhinged Vietnam vet, who enforces fouls in a bowling league in a, shall we say, authoritarian manner.

I have never seen it. 

1) Re-sign at $12M/yr:

The top 10 ILB's in the NFL make between $10.5M and $20M. Most would argue Edmunds should be toward the bottom on a new deal.

2) Trade for a 3rd Round Pick:

If a 1st/2nd is offered, I think that might be an easy decision. So lets say it's a 3rd. GM's likely won't offer a no-brainer trade. His full $12.7M salary is released w/ zero dead cap.

3) Let him walk:

You get Edmunds this year at $12.7M. When he walks, you might get a 3rd round comp pick back if he's paid highly in Free Agency.

*Note* I know this discussion has been made in other topics, but the poll should be interesting.

Edited by Rigotz
  • Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.