Hypothetical trade-Erik McCoy

Seoulofstone

There has been some talk about the future for the Bills at center. Morse had a good season and Is a reliable good quality player.

The questions surrounding him are based on two factors. Firstly his motivation and willingness to continue in the context of his consussion history. If he is happy to stay the best outcome is surely to keep that continuity and welcome him back. The reason that Morse has been discussed so much is because he is low-hanging fruit when it comes to cap-savings. Over the Cap has him as an $8.5 million cap saving.

The question here is not so much whether or not Morse is a player we want to keep as one of freeing up cap space and finding a quality young player at this key poistion. In the draft, both Tyler Linderbaum and Zion Johnson who demonstrated versatility at the senior bowl taking snaps at center, could be solutions but its equally possible that they are both gone when we pick. Its also not impossible that they could struggle in the step-up to the league.

That's why this trade from bleacher report is an intriguing idea to me.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2953611-the-ideal-offseason-trade-scenario-for-every-nfl-team

The Buffalo Bills could save themselves money and upgrade a key position on the offensive line with two moves that make a lot of sense. 

The first is to cut Mitch Morse. The center is set to be the fourth-highest-paid at his position in 2022, but the majority of his cap hit ($8.5 million) would become cap savings if they release him. 

The second would be to call up the New Orleans Saints and work out a trade to bring in Erik McCoy. 

The Saints face an uphill climb in creating cap space now and in the future. They are currently slated to be more than $75 million over the cap. McCoy doesn't make a ton of money. He's only owed $3.4 million in the final year of his rookie deal, but the Saints would save nearly $3 million by trading him.

That might not seem like much, but it also takes off the pressure to sign him to a long-term deal. The Bills, meanwhile, would get a reasonable replacement for Morse at a much cheaper price. McCoy has only allowed two sacks over his first three seasons in the league, per PFF. 

I like the idea of taking a proven young player on a rookie contract from a cap strapped non-contending team. They have a plug and play replacement in Cezar Ruiz too. I would be ok with spending our first round pick on this player helping create cap space through Morse's release.

• Disagree 1
  • Dislike 4

You're right, he has a year left on his rookie deal.  Honestly, I dislike the LA model. But including the cap relief from releasing Morse it makes a ton of sense to me. If paying him next year is a deal breaker what is a reasonable price for him? A 2nd?

Edited by Seoulofstone

7 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Wow that’s a terrible idea 

OK. Why? You don't like the player? You don't want to give up the first rounder? You're convinced the 25th pick will get us a guaranteed starter on a rookie deal?

I liked the Rousseau pick last year. But he struggled to make an impact for most of the year. If he comes through for us its great, but nothing is guaranteed through the draft.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Give up a 1st round pick for a C? 

…, folk here come up with all sorts of extraordinary ways to hamstring this team….

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Seoulofstone said:

There has been some talk about the future for the Bills at center. Morse had a good season and Is a reliable good quality player.

The questions surrounding him are based on two factors. Firstly his motivation and willingness to continue in the context of his consussion history. If he is happy to stay the best outcome is surely to keep that continuity and welcome him back. The reason that Morse has been discussed so much is because he is low-hanging fruit when it comes to cap-savings. Over the Cap has him as an $8.5 million cap saving.

The question here is not so much whether or not Morse is a player we want to keep as one of freeing up cap space and finding a quality young player at this key poistion. In the draft, both Tyler Linderbaum and Zion Johnson who demonstrated versatility at the senior bowl taking snaps at center, could be solutions but its equally possible that they are both gone when we pick. Its also not impossible that they could struggle in the step-up to the league.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2953611-the-ideal-offseason-trade-scenario-for-every-nfl-team

The Buffalo Bills could save themselves money and upgrade a key position on the offensive line with two moves that make a lot of sense. 

The first is to cut Mitch Morse. The center is set to be the fourth-highest-paid at his position in 2022, but the majority of his cap hit ($8.5 million) would become cap savings if they release him. 

The second would be to call up the New Orleans Saints and work out a trade to bring in Erik McCoy. 

The Saints face an uphill climb in creating cap space now and in the future. They are currently slated to be more than $75 million over the cap. McCoy doesn't make a ton of money. He's only owed $3.4 million in the final year of his rookie deal, but the Saints would save nearly $3 million by trading him.

That might not seem like much, but it also takes off the pressure to sign him to a long-term deal. The Bills, meanwhile, would get a reasonable replacement for Morse at a much cheaper price. McCoy has only allowed two sacks over his first three seasons in the league, per PFF. 

I like the idea of taking a proven young player on a rookie contract from a cap strapped non-contending team. They have a plug and play replacement in Cezar Ruiz too. I would be ok with spending our first round pick on this player helping create cap space through Morse's release.

You say a much cheaper price?  You need to add in the $3.75 dead cap hit for Morse.  Now you're up to a total of $7 mil spent on the center position.  Plus giving up draft capitol.

People are often promoting cut this guy and replace him with another.  But you need to look at the total cost of what you're going to pay to get rid of the first guy plus pay the second guy, then decide if it's really worth it and how much are you really saving

In the OP proposal, yes you're still saving $4 mil, but think you could re-do Morse contract and get the number down close to the $7 mil and then replace him with a much cheap rookie contract.  Haven't heard anything from him about retiring due to concussions, would think by now if that was his plan, you'd have heard. 

To me the best solution is re-work his contract, pay him like maybe $6 to $7 mil this year, draft a rookie G/C to be backup this year and starter in 2023 at center.  I'd likely also sign one vet FA guard to start this year and re-sign Bates and Ike.  Let Mongo walk, and get Williams to taker a pay cut.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mango said:

Morse should retire sooner rather than later for his own health. He has a year left on his contract. I would try to get his replacement on the roster developing this year and hopefully have a guy ready to step in admirably for in 2023.

absolutely need to find his replacement asap.

Whether in house or outside
never a 1st round. otherwise it is fine by OP to throw out the idea.

52 minutes ago, Dkollidas said:

Too much work when you already have a good center who knows the team, system in place. Sign Morse to an extension (he’s not that old), and save the cap that way.

he is also not that good.

Sorry Mitch but you have been blown off the ball to many times , and the protections have appeared incorrect often enough to question whether it was his call that was poor or the guard not knowing wtf his assignment and checks were

O line is not very good Folks. Coaching and execution last few years have troubled me
Fix it McBeanes. You said you would. :)

Not sure what the obsession with cutting Morse is.  He was a good player for us, knows the offense, and has been the center in Josh's best years.   If we keep a awful punter because he holds the ball well for the kicker, do you really think we will cut a good center who our QB is happy with?

But just for the sake of looking at the scenario let me try and summarize.

1.  We cut a good center and team leader and eat close to 3 million in cap space.

2. We trade a high draft pick for a player who is essentially the same level of center we just cut

3. We then have to resign the player for what would likely be the same amount we just saved on cutting the good center we already have?

The ideal play for Morse is a restructure that adds two more years to his current deal.   Whoever wrote this article is just putting words down on paper, there is literally no substance to what he is inferring.   Definition of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Edited by thenorthremembers

5 hours ago, Doc said:

It all depends on whether Morse returns.  If he does, redo his deal to add a voidable year on his contract

how about add 2 real years to his deal. He was excellent this season and is only 29 years old. I'd like to have him around a few more years. Centers are critical.

7 hours ago, Seoulofstone said:

$75 million over the cap and bleacher report things they should get rid of one of their better contracts?  Come on.  Where will they get a serviceable center for less than $3.4?

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.