What needs to be done to get us here?

Awwufelloff

5 minutes ago, BILLieve85 said:

Lots of great ideas here. One thing throughout this year stands out to me. The Bills were often the more talented team, but for some reason found themselves playing flat during prolonged stretches in the regular season.

The opener vs the Steelers. The fourth at the Titans. First half vs the Fins. The entire Jags and Colts games. The first half at Tampa. Maybe it was coaching, players, hunger, not taking the game for granted, idk. But it can’t happen anymore. The Bills are going to be 10-12 other teams Super Bowl game each year from now on, if we weren’t before. 

But, I have a feeling JA17 is gonna be on eff you mode the rest of his career now. He and we knew he and the team was good to great, now the entire league is on notice. This team will have the talent and attract the talent to stay near the top. But it’s not always about talent. 

The deciding factor is going to be McDermott and how willing he is to decouple any influence from the offense and let JA17 call his shots. And even streamline the defense to play our best players. Like what Marv did with JK12. Until that happens, I think we see the ceiling being the same as we experienced this year

For the most part Bills have always been conservative under McDermott and played down to their competition. Some of that had to do with playing a young QB who they were trying to limit mistakes and prevent Josh from having to play hero ball. This year When they had their backs against the wall and had to win end of the season is when they begun to make strides. Here’s hoping we keep that aggressive mindset next year especially on offense.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, billieve420 said:

For the most part Bills have always been conservative under McDermott and played down to their competition. Some of that had to do with playing a young QB who they were trying to limit mistakes and prevent Josh from having to play hero ball. This year When they had their backs against the wall and had to win end of the season is when they begun to make strides. Here’s hoping we keep that aggressive mindset next year especially on offense.

Right on. They wanted and bought that shiny sports car to Buffalo. And being this city, it gonna get some salt, or a rouge shopping cart at Wegs. No point leaving it covered up in the garage anymore. This is JA17’s team now. I’d rather live and die by his game than play conservative. And I’m not talking hero ball. The entire playoffs was JA17 saying I’m here, and you’re next to the entire league. Watch his radio row stuff from this week. He says it without even saying it. 

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

New head coach. I said before the season started McDermott would be the Achilles heel for this team.

If they win a SB, it will be despite McDermott not because of it.  Manning had to overcome Dungy, so too must Allen overcome his HC.

This can’t be serious. Manning had literally sponges as his defense in the 2000s. At least until they won in 2007. Not to mention going up against Brady, Big Ben, and Rivers each season. Sorry but at this point McDermott is and will be the coach. Who do you see as a viable alternative? I’m not sure there is any coach of note that would do any better, and without causing a complete internal revolt from players and staff. You can say new head coach, but come on man, bring an idea or two of who would replace. This thinking is on the same level as McDermott post halftime and sans adjustments 

35 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

New head coach. I said before the season started McDermott would be the Achilles heel for this team.

If they win a SB, it will be despite McDermott not because of it.  Manning had to overcome Dungy, so too must Allen overcome his HC.

As CEO of team think McDermott has done good job of managing the entire team. I do question some of his game day calls but same can be said for any coach.

However, I think the defense would be in better hands if McDermott was calling the plays with the same players versus Frazier. Don’t think McDermott has it in him to take away play calling duties and demote his friend. 

Edited by billieve420

1 hour ago, Buffalo03 said:

Don't line up in prevent defense against Mahomes with 13 seconds left in regulation. We don't blow that like we did, we're holding the Lombardi tonight 

I’m not sure the Bills would’ve done any better vs the Rams defense.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, BILLieve85 said:

This can’t be serious. Manning had literally sponges as his defense in the 2000s. At least until they won in 2007. Not to mention going up against Brady, Big Ben, and Rivers each season. Sorry but at this point McDermott is and will be the coach. Who do you see as a viable alternative? I’m not sure there is any coach of note that would do any better, and without causing a complete internal revolt from players and staff. You can say new head coach, but come on man, bring an idea or two of who would replace. This thinking is on the same level as McDermott post halftime and sans adjustments 

Agree my response while I stand by what I wrote is not a reality that will happen.

Myoff-season plan

1. Do not extend Edmunds. Entertain trade offers. Assuming no trade is made, make him play out his final year. If he improves then tag him. If not let him walk at the end of next year.

2. Let Wallace walk. I like him more than most but I would not commit to a long term deal with him. If something weird happens and he can't get the deal he wants I would take him back on a 1 yr deal.

3. Assuming Wallace is gone, pick up a veteran CB and draft CB in round 1 or 2

4. Bring back H.Phillips if he will agree to a modest contract. 

5. Draft a 1-tech DT in round 1 or 2

6. Cut Jones, Gilliam, and Kumerow

7. Attempt to rework D. Williams contract

8. Attempt to bring back Hughes on a 1 yr deal

9. Cut Star, Butler, Addison, Breida, and Zimmer

10. Cut Haack, draft punter

11. In free agency go after a high end guard, a TE#2, and a speed RB

12. Draft a speed edge rusher in round 3 or 4

9 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Draft well

develop young players

hope White comes back close to 100%

Basically this. In terms of development if Ed Oliver just takes another half step from being a disrupter up front to being a guy that finishes better and Groot takes a step to even being a 7 or 8 sack guy then the front is not far away. They need Tre back near his best and to improve that corner room around him. 

On offense that is where the draft well really comes in. Improve the blocking for Josh and commit to getting younger in the pass catching corps. 

And then it just comes down to coaching and executing the big moments better. Obviously the 13 seconds comes to mind but the end of the game in Tennessee, the end of the game in Tampa, the end of the home game v New England... the Bills have to play those clutch moments better in 2022. 

Oh and get a better punter. Haack sucks. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.