Ok time to get rid of Mongo

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

Can someone explain Buffalo pizza to me? What makes it different from other pizza?  

I see lots of pictures where the pepperoni is on top and all crisped up, is that the signature? 

I'd say we're somewhere between NYC and Chicago style Pizza. The real margherita pepperoni's that curl up are definitely a Buffalo signature. Buffalo is also known for the original red or sweet sauce base and typically has/had a small crust. Typically they'd bring the toppings out as far as they could, unlike a NYC pizza  with a giant crust wheel around the outside of their cardboard.

Bocce is king, but I think Picasso's is one of or a spin off of one of the original buffalo pizza's. Again, no shortage of good pies in Buffalo imho.

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

Can someone explain Buffalo pizza to me? What makes it different from other pizza?  

I see lots of pictures where the pepperoni is on top and all crisped up, is that the signature? 

That's part of it

Cupped pepperoni

In-between Chicago Deep-dish and NY style flat pizza

La Hacienda in Niagara Falls, NY has really good NY style pizza

19 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

https://buffalonews.com/entertainment/dining/make-your-own-buffalo-style-pizza-via-the-buffalo-new-york-cookbook/article_aadf7cfa-ed16-5d06-8536-2a32110d35a8.amp.html

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SirAndrew said:

Agree, I Iike Burger King, but it’s not reasonable compared to McDonald’s. If I don’t want to sit, I can do take out to get a decent entree from a local restaurant for the cost of BK. When I can get an entire pasta dish, our legitimate cheeseburger for the same price, why am I going with fast food? 

Exactly.  Why am I going to get what probably isnt made of real food when I can get a nice meal for the same price.   Granted the portion sizes are huge.   Very odd when I can go to a place like Chipotle and get Two Burritos or Two Burrito bowls for the price of one meal at BK.  Granted Chipotle has their own issues.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Beach said:

i dont like the pizza in Buffalo either.

Saying you don't like the pizza in Buffalo is like saying you don't like the beer in Germany.

Germany has over 8,000 independent brewers and they make all kinds of diverse beers from dry Pils beers to dark Schwarzbier to wheat beer to everything in between.

There are certain pizzerias in Buffalo I don't like AT ALL, but then there are others that I love.

The pizza is as diverse as the pizzerias, and there are a million of them.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Saying you don't like the pizza in Buffalo is like saying you don't like the beer in Germany.

Germany has over 8,000 independent brewers and they make all kinds of diverse beers from dry Pils beers to dark Schwarzbier to wheat beer to everything in between.

There are certain pizzerias in Buffalo I don't like AT ALL, but then there are others that I love.

The pizza is as diverse as the pizzerias, and there are a million of them.

i have not found any pizza in Buffalo that i like.  i agree with Mongo, its our opinion.

In all seriousness I do think Mongo will be a cut if he doesn't want to take a pay cut. I have loved Mongo since 2019 but he declined in 2021 and although he would make for a fantastic backup he is being paid like a starter and this team is in a bit of a cap crunch. 

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Doc said:

I went to school with the Pontillos.  Never really cared for the pizza.

Agree, lived in Rochester my favorite was Carbones for both pizza and wings.  Always thought that was a local Rochester place, then someone here told me they started in Buffalo.  Was devastated upon learning that!

If I remember right Pontillos used sausage coins rather than chunks.  That alone was reason to boycott.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

Just now, babulator said:

I know alot of local people that prefer NYC style pizza swear by Zetti's. 

i like Utica style pizza.  i think alot of people prefer their home town pie.  i will never understand nyc pizza, its just a profit pie.

2 hours ago, muppy said:

Filippis in scripps ranch does Not suck. Its a thick doughy crust not  exactly BFLO style (WNY is better I think its the WNY water) but I like it. Location matters though. Not all Fillippis are the same it has a few locations now and Ive been told quality suffers elsewhere.

I agree, Muppy.  Filippi's is decent pizza.  Another mom and pop place I like is Mom & Dom's in Clairemont Mesa.  They don't skimp on the ingredients - heavy cheese and sauce - reminds me a bit of Buffalo establishments.  And I like the pizza at Buona Forchetta in South Park/Encinitas too.  Not Buffalo style, but a nice light thin crust.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

The slices that I have sampled from numerous NYC Pizza shops, were all lousy. -Just like the 'Dirty Water Dogs', and the Pretzels that are available, on the street.

Garbage, with an undeserved reputation...

I had a sidewalk cart hotdog in Toronto once and puked my guts out the whole day. 😁

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You guys need to get better palates @everyone. 

Sir, you admit to ranch on your wings.

You show no evidence that you'd recognize a better palate if it nipped you on the posterior

3 hours ago, Nelius said:

You folks truly don't know how good you have it. Maybe not all of the pizza is awesome, but I live in a metropolitan area of 3+ million people in Denver and there is truly, absolutely nothing. I would take an oily Buffalo 6.5 over anything that I can get out here.

Truth.

I live in St Louis.  St Louis Style Pizza is beloved by the natives. 

People who have actually eaten decent pizza regard it as undeserving of the term "Pizza".  We ordered one after we moved here, we threw it out, and the dog didn't even try to pull it out of the trash.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Like anything in life, the more effort you put into something the better it is.  In NYC area, pizza is the be-all, end-all.  Nothing really compares.  Just like Buffalo is with wings.  Buffalo pizza is a nice compliment when eating wings, but doesn’t really compare to NYC area pizza.  

I haven't spent a lot of time in NYC but I have eaten pizza there a couple times.   It was good.   Better than Buffalo?   I don't think I'd say that.

And to build on Muppy's point, Buffalo has more pizzerias per capita than NYC.   It's not even close.  And what's cool about Buffalo with all its pizza joints - most of them aren't big chains (as in Orlando).   Chain pizza doesn't do well in Buffalo's hyper competitive pizza environment.  It just isn't good enough.  

image.thumb.png.b8fe58acff92fc0c25fe2dd419f46292.png

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1