If Your Super Bowl Window Closes When You Pay Your Superstar QB Big Bucks, Why Do You Pay Your Superstar QB Big Bucks?

st pete gogolak

4 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

It doesnt close if your team drafts well.  If you dont pay them big bucks it closes for sure because the QB would leave.

Mahomes contract hasnt hit them yet.

Right. The teams that pay a QB franchise money (a true franchise QB) and want to continue to be successful, must draft well and do well with 2nd and 3rd tier free agents

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, st pete gogolak said:

I started the thread in response to many, many posters whining about our window closing because of Josh's contract.  I was curious what people thought about big second contracts to QB's in general, not specific to Josh.  I agree.  If you have a top 5 (top 10?) QB, you pay him and it is up to the GM to draft well and look for bargain FA's.  

and draft well.....the key to any team having sustained success is core players being drafted.   That would have been the case if we had a unicorn qb or not.

7 hours ago, BillsFanSD said:

With the possible exception of Russell Wilson, those QBs are all just overpaid.  There's nothing wrong with Josh Allen getting Josh Allen money, but there would be a lot wrong with Kirk Cousins getting Josh Allen money.  (I know Cousins isn't paid that much -- you get the point).

Kirk Cousins got the 2018 equivalent of Josh Allen money getting what at the time was a top 2-3 QB salary compared with the rest of what the QBs were making then.  

I remember cringing every time I read a post advocating the Bills sign Cousins as a free agent back then. I was really hoping the Jets would sign him, but drafting Darnold was even better in ruining the Jets.  

It's not that the window will close it that it becomes much more difficult. Seattle is already falling apart but that was also due to the fact they also paid Lynch, Wagner, Thomas, Sherman, Wright and Chancellor. They tied up a huge portion of their cap in under 10 guys. Then they drafted terribly.  

Green Bay gas stayed relevant with Rodgers as they did ok at retooling their OL with high draft picks, but have not built a decent defense in over a decade.  

The Pats did it not by Brady taking less money.  It was by Belichick cutting guys just as they got expensive.  He did it repeatedly and managed to rebuild mostly through shrewd FA acquisitions.  

I just posted this in another similar thread, but same answer IMO applies here too:

The problem isn't teams paying superstar QB's huge salaries, it's paying tier II QB's top $$, but he's the best the team has had in awhile and they hope he can become tier I so they pay him.  Tannerhill in Miami, Carr, Flacco, etc.  The Bills did that to some level with Fitz and Edwards. Then not enough money left to put a great team around him and those guys need greatness around them to win.

Take a Brady, Rodgers, Manning, they can make middle of the road guys i.e. WR, TE, RB look great and get the team to the SB.  Often then their contract runs out, they want to be paid top $$ based on the numbers they put up, but the team realizes it's really Rodgers that made him great, so they decline he goes elsewhere and puts up middle of the pack numbers and everyone is shocked.

Allen appears to be good enough to make the middle guys look great so not as concerned here.  I do think you want one top tier guy like Diggs, but was reading a post the other day how we should sign Adams or Godwin to make the offense unstoppable.  We don't need that, nor can afford that.  Allen can win with Diggs, Davis, a decent rookie WR, Knox,  and one middle tier backup for injury like a McKenzie.  Add a RB who's a very good at catching passes out of the backfield.

So don't think it's a true problem when you have the real superstar QB, but too often teams have phony Tier I paid QB's

I don't know the details of Allen’s contract, but I thought when he signed it I remember him or Beane saying that part of the beauty of the deal is the flexibility it affords the team.

Come on guys... anyone frowning upon Allen taking the "max deal" (and is that actually what it was or will end up being in retrospect) is ridiculous. Brady took less because he has a wife whose net worth is $400 million. Allen comes from a farming family. Good for him to get paid.

That said, I'm 100% sure if he feels his contract is hindering the team, he'd be willing to get creative with Beane in a restructure.

Our Super Bowl window is open AT LEAST for another 5 if not 10-15 years assuming Allen stays healthy.

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I just posted this in another similar thread, but same answer IMO applies here too:

The problem isn't teams paying superstar QB's huge salaries, it's paying tier II QB's top $$, but he's the best the team has had in awhile and they hope he can become tier I so they pay him.  Tannerhill in Miami, Carr, Flacco, etc.  The Bills did that to some level with Fitz and Edwards. Then not enough money left to put a great team around him and those guys need greatness around them to win.

Take a Brady, Rodgers, Manning, they can make middle of the road guys i.e. WR, TE, RB look great and get the team to the SB.  Often then their contract runs out, they want to be paid top $$ based on the numbers they put up, but the team realizes it's really Rodgers that made him great, so they decline he goes elsewhere and puts up middle of the pack numbers and everyone is shocked.

Allen appears to be good enough to make the middle guys look great so not as concerned here.  I do think you want one top tier guy like Diggs, but was reading a post the other day how we should sign Adams or Godwin to make the offense unstoppable.  We don't need that, nor can afford that.  Allen can win with Diggs, Davis, a decent rookie WR, Knox,  and one middle tier backup for injury like a McKenzie.  Add a RB who's a very good at catching passes out of the backfield.

So don't think it's a true problem when you have the real superstar QB, but too often teams have phony Tier I paid QB's

Trent Edwards never even got a second contract from the bills 

He played on a rookie contract

14 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

We saw what it's like when you don't have a QB who commands big bucks.   We called it "the drought."   

There is no choice.  When you have Josh Allen, you pay him and you manage the rest of your roster as well as you can.  

QB is the only position that matters.  You spend whatever it takes to get and keep a star QB.   It's a fool's game to save money on a QB so that you can spend it on positions that, relatively speaking, don't matter. 

Facts.  QB is the most important position by far.  What the Bills need to focus is keeping a good OL in front of Allen since he is so good at creating with his legs after his progressions.  the Bills are blessed to have him.

2 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

If you apply this to the Chargers if they don't win it all in the next 2 years they never will.  

The Ravens can't 

The Bengals have 2 more shots

I mean the AFC is going to have 7 QBs making 40 million a year by 2025.  Someone has to win.  

I find it really odd that some people only apply the salary cap rules to the Bills and never to any other team. If you are good enough there are a thousand different ways around the salary cap, teams have shown that for years. Not saying you don’t have to hit in draft picks, of course you do, but if you have a great QB you will always be in contention 

It doesn't. Very few QB's have won the Superbowl on rookie deals. There have just been a few prominent ones the past decade or so. Most QB's who win the Superbowl are established QB's not on a rookie deal.

This idea is a myth.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.