If Dorsey leaves then what?

Niagara Dude

26 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

Bills have prepped for whatever is happening.

Ever notice there is a ton of conjecture about coaching moves and it falls out however it falls out?  

Deals have been made across the board behind the scenes.  New HC’a don’t take jobs workout assurances of whom will be their coordinators.  Info that is most likely shared with the new team.

Agsin, McDermott had prepared for this and had a guy on the hook already.  

New HCs talk to guys they want about possibilities.  And for sure, "what are your thoughts on who you'd like for OC and DC?" is part of the interview process.  It's much easier now that lower-tier assistants who are under contract can't be blocked from interviewing for OC jobs. 

But there's no way they can have "assurances" going in who will be their coordinators, because there are a lot of moving parts.  What if the guy gets an offer he likes better?  There's no way a young assistant looking for a step is going to promise "I will work for you and only you and tell everyone else to F off" because what if "you" doesn't get the HC job or a better job opens up?

I do agree that McDermott has prepared and he and Beane have a "short list", but I don't agree they "had a guy on the hook already"

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

ive said it a few times: what if he’s not sure he’s 100% fully ready for full control?

maybe having extra support is appealing to him as a first time OC

That extra support is a "blessing and a curse".  The same extra support that might be reassuring at first, is going to lead to him being perceived as not fully the OC, as standing in the HC offensive shadow, right about when he's ready to take his step.

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I don't believe that is true if another job includes a promotion.

You're correct and I just learned this tonight.  An assistant can not be blocked from interviewing for the OC or DC position with another team.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, bills6969 said:

Bill O’Brien?

Agreed.

People can say what they want about O’Brien but Deshaun Watson developed rather nicely under him in Houston. He also runs the same offense we’re running now. Coached under Belichick and Saban.. Sound familiar? Way more polished as a coach than Daboll ever was, much better credentials too.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That extra support is a "blessing and a curse".  The same extra support that might be reassuring at first, is going to lead to him being perceived as not fully the OC, as standing in the HC offensive shadow, right about when he's ready to take his step.

You're correct and I just learned this tonight.  An assistant can not be blocked from interviewing for the OC or DC position with another team.

right but if he isn’t actually ready, going solo isn’t a fast track to long term career growth either. It’s not always a sprint to create a successful path.

we will see where it goes but I think there are a lot of considerations beyond “he doesn’t like McD” that could be in play

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

New HCs talk to guys they want about possibilities.  And for sure, "what are your thoughts on who you'd like for OC and DC?" is part of the interview process.  It's much easier now that lower-tier assistants who are under contract can't be blocked from interviewing for OC jobs. 

But there's no way they can have "assurances" going in who will be their coordinators, because there are a lot of moving parts.  What if the guy gets an offer he likes better?  There's no way a young assistant looking for a step is going to promise "I will work for you and only you and tell everyone else to F off" because what if "you" doesn't get the HC job or a better job opens up?

I do agree that McDermott has prepared and he and Beane have a "short list", but I don't agree they "had a guy on the hook already"

I believe they have guys who agree to come on as the new OC before the old one leaves.  They may even have the blessing of the outgoing coach.

I also believe they have guys they vetted and offers before they fire.  Just like most Fortune 500 companies do.

That’s how those who are good, stay good.

19 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Who knows, could be bigger pay day might be more important. We'll see soon enough

Hell, could be their wives are best friends and he likes Broadway plays a lot. 

just was seeing a lot of fans harping on it being an indictment of our HC if he leaves. There are plenty of very reasonable, and less reasonable possibilities that don’t speak ill of Buffalo or McD though. 

• Agree 1

If Dorsey chooses the Giants over the Bills it’s pretty obvious he’s not ready. If he was ,the decision is a no brainer. If your not ready for prime time stay by daddy’s side so he can help you if you get in trouble. He’s doing us a favor. Be happy. Bring Joe Brady in and let’s move on. No one knows how good Dorsey even is. A lot of speculation because JA17 & him are buds. 

I guess it depends on what Dorsey wants.  If he wants to be a HC at some point, staying with the Bills and working with Josh Allen seems the way to go, similar to Daboll's path, because Josh is about the best contributor to potential success an OC can have.  If he has a strong relationship with Daboll and/or wants out of Buffalo as a place to live, then he will leave.  Job security should be somewhat similar if tied to the job security of his head coach since McDermott is safe for the foreseeable future and Daboll should get at least two, if not three years with the Giants to prove he is the right coach for the team.

One wild card here is what is Dorsey's relationship like with McDermott?  Do we know anything about how McDermott gets along with the coaches on his coaching staff?  Also have seen reports that our assistant QB coach and assistant o-line coach may be going with Daboll.  That would be a bit of a problem if our OC, QB coach and assistant QB coach all leave at the same time.

24 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Agreed.

People can say what they want about O’Brien but Deshaun Watson developed rather nicely under him in Houston. He also runs the same offense we’re running now. Coached under Belichick and Saban.. Sound familiar? Way more polished as a coach than Daboll ever was, much better credentials too.

After hearing what BOB did in Houston to put himself in position for the Pats job while employed there in the book Its Better To Be Feared... thats not someone who seems to fit w what they have going on here. Dude sounds like a bit of a tool and Me First type of cat

Edited by gobills1212
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Wondering if the Beane got outplayed here? Giants may have already fulfilled all the interview requirements (under the guise of a head coaching search) that will take the Bills days to complete & can offer Dorsey the job & $ now. Bit concerning.

I think your jump to conclusions mat is broken. 

• Like (+1) 1

At this point, I’d love to see Pederson.

Guy is a winner. Brass balls. Beat the GOAT in the Super Bowl with Nick freakin Foles.

Also, would love to see him take over potentially as HC whenever the inevitable happens with McClappy.

I doubt our horrible HC will want Pederson tho because he doesn’t want to feel the heat from a former super bowl winning HC underneath him on Staff.

Edited by McBean
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

This is silly. It's Dorsey's job period. Josh wants him, McD has raved about him, He was a decent QB in the NFL, a two-time Heisman Trophy finalist with Miami, worked with Cam Newton in Carolina (When he was good). OC is the next logical step for him. The announcement will come next Monday/Tuesday. Dropping these other names is a waste of time... Chill.  

OK - I'll play the game. If Dorsey leaves, and decides to the Montreal Alouettes,  Let's bring back Kay Stephenson as OC. He did wonders with Joe Ferguson and Joe Cribbs, plus he was the head coach when they drafted Jim Kelly. Unfortunately, Jim decided to go to the Houston Gamblers instead of play for Kay. He also changed the Bills helmets from white to red. Plus he's still alive! This is as good of a choice as the sorry retreads I've seen mentioned here.        

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ctk232 said:

Not only this - which is why this thread is a bit silly - but it's more likely the Bills would block the move and appoint him OC if they wanted to keep him. This FO's policy has been to block horizontal moves in the past so likely Dorsey wouldn't even get the choice if they wanted to keep him for OC.

if they make him OC/Associate Head Coach it's not a lateral.

4 minutes ago, McBean said:

At this point, I’d love to see Peterson.

Guy is a winner. Brass balls. Beat the GOAT in the Super Bowl with Nick freakin Foles.

Also, would love to see him take over potentially as HC whenever the inevitable happens with McClappy.

I doubt our horrible HC will want Peterson tho because he doesn’t want to feel the heat from a former super bowl winning HC underneath him on Staff.

Pederson's last year in Philly was an absolute trainwreck in every way.

And people who are saying Bill O'Brien are insane. O'Brien is a snake and I don't want him anywhere near here.

6 minutes ago, McBean said:

At this point, I’d love to see Peterson.

I doubt our horrible HC will want Peterson tho because he doesn’t want to feel the heat from a former super bowl winning HC underneath him on Staff.

You could have at least spelled his name right..

7 minutes ago, Malazan said:

I think your jump to conclusions mat is broken. 

Don't think so. Have to interview minority candidates before making a hire. Per Sal's tweet below the Giants may have already fulfilled the interview requirements ahead of the Bills.

Bills are also interested in Dorsey as OC, see below: 

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/10025270-nfl-rumors-ken-dorsey-eyed-by-giants-bills-for-oc-job-after-brian-dabolls-move.amp.html

Dorsey actively in contract talks with Giants to be their new GM, see below:

Giants Daily (@NYGDaily) Tweeted:

Bills QB coach Ken Dorsey is in negotiations with #Giants to become their offensive coordinator, per @Schultz_Report. Would be a huge addition. https://twitter.com/NYGDaily/status/1487213092316618752?s=20&t=TC_mN7gYw8efPjYiY2djDw

G.T Bobby Thompson (@BThomps81) Tweeted:

#Giants and Ken Dorsey are still working on a deal per source. Both sides want to get this done. https://twitter.com/BThomps81/status/1487244285619707905?s=20&t=pf9VjwxQVYrJirbU9l6pWA

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

Ken Dorsey has an agent.

id bet that agent is happy to tell people that there is an active bidding war.

I bet he’d be glad to say that no matter what was happening 

Yeah, it wouldn’t surprise me if it was his agent putting this out.

But it also wouldn’t surprise me if this guy is just throwing **** at the wall hoping it sticks.

Looking at some of his tweets, my guess is the latter.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.