If Dorsey leaves then what?

Niagara Dude

On 1/30/2022 at 2:19 PM, MrEpsYtown said:

Really starting to like the Joe Brady idea a lot. Young guy with fresh ideas who learned from the best. Matt Rhule is mouth breather who threw Brady under the bus. 

I think Brady did a horrible and I mean horrible job with that offense in Carolina. Now he does understand the E-P he was in New Orleans with Payton and Brees when they were running it. 

He would not be my first choice. But if they hired him I would hope his issues with the Panthers were around settling on an identity and the identity in Buffalo is there - it is Josh Allen's right arm - so he may be better second go around.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Jim Bob said:

Bill O'Brien would be someone that I wouldn't be shocked if the Bills talked to if he wanted to get back into the NFL.

Same issue for me as Pederson. Billy O never had an issue calling plays. He can call plays and he does at least run the E-P. But personality would be a no for me. 

I think the good news is no news on Dorsey. Every day that passes where he hasn't left he is more likely to stay IMO. 

Edited by GunnerBill

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Same issue for me as Pederson. Billy O never had an issue calling plays. He can call plays and he does at least run the E-P. But personality would be a no for me. 

I think the good news is no news on Dorsey. Every day that passes where he hasn't left he is more likely to stay IMO. 

After watching Man In The Arena and his working relationship with Brady, I have a lot of confidence that he could work well with Allen.

Plus, I doubt McD is going to let a new OC change the culture that much.

24 minutes ago, Jim Bob said:

After watching Man In The Arena and his working relationship with Brady, I have a lot of confidence that he could work well with Allen.

Plus, I doubt McD is going to let a new OC change the culture that much.

FWIW, Ryan Fitzpatrick credits Bill O'Brien with his extended career (featuring stints as the starter for 3 additional team), saying something to the effect that his year in Houston with O'Brien (who benched him!) taught him more about Football than his previous 9 years with 4 teams.

The thing is - that was 2014, before the Texans went to the playoffs with Hoyer and Osweiler at QB, drafted DeShawn Watson in 2017, and pretty well looked set for a long stretch of contention with Watson throwing to Hopkins and with JJ Watt, Mercilus, Reader and Clowney in the front-7 and Matthieu at safety. 

And while it's hard to keep a group like that together, O'Brien arguably blew it up with his ego

So I don't doubt O'Brien's football acumen and ability to design and coach a winning offense.  But I do doubt whether his ego can be reined in and focused, and I don't really want to take that chance.

On 1/29/2022 at 7:14 AM, MrEpsYtown said:

To induce vomit

It Worked

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/30/2022 at 4:39 AM, Utah John said:

It's been a foregone conclusion all year that Daboll would get a HC job somewhere.  So are Bills trying to act like they're just getting started now, looking for a new OC?  That would be malpractice.  They should have been talking to Dorsey to see about his interest in the job, as well as making quiet inquiries around the league or colleges.  The Bills should have been in position to pull the chain on a new OC almost immediately after the Giants HC job was announced.  

This post doesn't make a lick of sense.  How are "the Bills trying to act like they're just getting started now looking for a new OC?"

In his post-season presser, Beane stated that they had a "short list" of candidates both inside and outside of the organization.

All teams are required by the NFL to interview two (2) minority candidates from outside the organization for coordinator positions.

This isn't gonna happen during the season; teams have absolutely no obligation to let assistants interview for coordinator positions during the season.

I'm sure the Bills coaches or Beane have had informal talks with the candidates "on their short list" to gauge interest, but most reputable companies don't formally interview candidates for positions that aren't yet open, either.  Doesn't mean they haven't thought about it.

23 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

FWIW, Ryan Fitzpatrick credits Bill O'Brien with his extended career (featuring stints as the starter for 3 additional team), saying something to the effect that his year in Houston with O'Brien (who benched him!) taught him more about Football than his previous 9 years with 4 teams.

The thing is - that was 2014, before the Texans went to the playoffs with Hoyer and Osweiler at QB, drafted DeShawn Watson in 2017, and pretty well looked set for a long stretch of contention with Watson throwing to Hopkins and with JJ Watt, Mercilus, Reader and Clowney in the front-7 and Matthieu at safety. 

And while it's hard to keep a group like that together, O'Brien arguably blew it up with his ego

So I don't doubt O'Brien's football acumen and ability to design and coach a winning offense.  But I do doubt whether his ego can be reined in and focused, and I don't really want to take that chance.

BOB the head coach and BOB the OC are two different things.

If McD were to hire him as the OC, I doubt he would mess things up. Plenty of guys are way better as coordinators than they are as head coaches. O'Brien could be one of those guys.

7 minutes ago, Jim Bob said:

BOB the head coach and BOB the OC are two different things.

If McD were to hire him as the OC, I doubt he would mess things up. Plenty of guys are way better as coordinators than they are as head coaches. O'Brien could be one of those guys.

It's always a mixed bag when you hire a former HC as a coordinator, just like it's a mixed bag when you hire a former manager or supervisor as a regular worker.

Sometimes they're happy at the change - they found their previous role too mentally or emotionally taxing and are happy to go back to a previous role in which they were more comfortable, as you say.

Sometimes they aren't happy, and spend their time looking over at you thinking  "I could do a better job" (either literally or figuratively).

All I know about O'Brien is that his final years with the Texans were tremendously destructive to the organization, and I think O'Brien is generally reported to be all about O'Brien, with a very healthy ego.

57 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's always a mixed bag when you hire a former HC as a coordinator, just like it's a mixed bag when you hire a former manager or supervisor as a regular worker.

Sometimes they're happy at the change - they found their previous role too mentally or emotionally taxing and are happy to go back to a previous role in which they were more comfortable, as you say.

Sometimes they aren't happy, and spend their time looking over at you thinking  "I could do a better job" (either literally or figuratively).

All I know about O'Brien is that his final years with the Texans were tremendously destructive to the organization, and I think O'Brien is generally reported to be all about O'Brien, with a very healthy ego.

O'Brien seemed to be OK as the OC for Saban at Alabama this past season.

I doubt it would be a huge issue in Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree,  with each day retaining Ken Dorsey looks better. 

47 minutes ago, Jim Bob said:

O'Brien seemed to be OK as the OC for Saban at Alabama this past season.

I doubt it would be a huge issue in Buffalo.

You could be right.  Then again, Saban is kind of a "legend of the game" so McDermott might not be the same thing.

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

This guy is looking for work and probably fits The Process

hi-res-136319974_crop_exact.jpg?w=1200%2

I thought he was enjoying his Best Life in retirement

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.