Video Interview: Bill Belichick Looks Ahead to Saturday Night's Playoff Game With Bills

Nextmanup

2 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

I love listening his post-game presser after they lose. It's hilarious. 

That's my take too; it's just kind of funny and interesting listening to the guy speak.

It's like he's not trying even 1% to be entertaining or play ball in any way.

And he doesn't care what he sounds like! 

I kind of respect him in an odd way for it.

At one point in the interview he was asked about young players doing well in the playoffs or if that's a problem, etc.  Bill said "in the playoffs the most important thing is playing well; it's not about being young or old or this or that" or words to that effect...

He's right.  It's amazing how well a football game goes when you play well and execute.

He sounds utterly defeated and deflated, like you have to wonder what drives him at this point in his career, especially with all that he has accomplished. 

He's a really odd--yet interesting--duck.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

That's my take too; it's just kind of funny and interesting listening to the guy speak.

It's like he's not trying even 1% to be entertaining or play ball in any way.

And he doesn't care what he sounds like! 

I kind of respect him in an odd way for it.

At one point in the interview he was asked about young players doing well in the playoffs or if that's a problem, etc.  Bill said "in the playoffs the most important thing is playing well; it's not about being young or old or this or that" or words to that effect...

He's right.  It's amazing how well a football game goes when you play well and execute.

He sounds utterly defeated and deflated, like you have to wonder what drives him at this point in his career, especially with all that he has accomplished. 

I thought he sounded defeated before our second matchup. And he sounds pretty resigned here too. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Motorin' said:

I thought he sounded defeated before our second matchup. And he sounds pretty resigned here too. 

Maybe he's thinking "I have studied this team to death twice this year and played them twice, and I just don't like our chances against them on Saturday night." 

Let's hope so!

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I think next year he is all in with cap money and future years draft picks.  His hope will center around Mac Jones improving.

If things don't go well he may seriously think of retiring after that.

IMO.

44 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Check this out!  He is such an odd duck.

He has the natural charisma of a wet piece of cardboard.   

10 Minute interview from WEEI in Boston.  

https://www.audacy.com/weei/sports/patriots/bill-belichick-looks-ahead-to-wild-card-game-vs-bills

I actually love his interviews.  Especially when he gets a topic he wants to talk about.  Example poyer and Hyde.  Whenever asked about them he gushes.  He also is a savant when it comes to knowing every damn player and detail. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

I think next year he is all in with cap money and future years draft picks.  His hope will center around Mac Jones improving.

If things don't go well he may seriously think of retiring after that.

IMO.

You would think his retirement is coming sooner than later.

But guys like Belichick are not normal; they are completely one dimensional people, have OCD to an extent, and they are enormously ambitious and competitive.  They need to be 100% focused on lots of hard work to be happy.

The kind of guy who won't know what to do with himself when he retires, so he doesn't. 

Not sure how it will play out.

• Agree 1

52 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

https://www.audacy.com/weei/sports/patriots/bill-belichick-looks-ahead-to-wild-card-game-vs-bills

He has to be the most maddening person to interview, week-in, week-out.   He literally gives these guys nothing.

Just now, wjag said:

He has to be the most maddening person to interview, week-in, week-out.   He literally gives these guys nothing.

Is there a word to describe this team and season: "nah"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

My boss is like this. Signed his business over to his son in law and should be retiring. But he just can't quit it. He's actually there working and managing things more than the son in law. Certain people are just consumed by their profession and find anything else just doesn't cut it for them. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

But guys like Belichick are not normal; they are completely one dimensional people, have OCD to an extent, and they are enormously ambitious and competitive.  They need to be 100% focused on lots of hard work to be happy.

The kind of guy who won't know what to do with himself when he retires, so he doesn't. 

the guy loves to Striper fish. I wish just once someone in the media would ask him about that or about his foundation. Just to see if he has a human side.

11 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I totally agree but like I said I think he is all in next year to go for the Division.  

It's going to be all about Mac Jones' play.  Nobody can convince me that he is not regretting moving on from Brady.

He might of thought he did the right thing last year but after TBs play this year.............it's got to be eating him alive.

I rather not listen to him and I am a pats fan. Plus he honestly is the same way whether he wins or loses in press conferences so there is no difference. The only time he has been different is during a SB win or when he is being interviewed for NFL films. Other than that. it's basically the same tone  in regular season wins or loses. 

"The most important thing in the playoffs is to play well."  

He's an intelligent guy but it's remarkable how much he talks like a kindergartner.  

Its likes he goes out of his way to avoid substantive, interesting answers and just says the very most obvious, basic thing possible.  

12 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

"The most important thing in the playoffs is to play well."  

He's an intelligent guy but it's remarkable how much he talks like a kindergartner.  

Its likes he goes out of his way to avoid substantive, interesting answers and just says the very most obvious, basic thing possible.  

Bingo!  It's all intentional.  

Edited by Ghost_002!
  • Like (+1) 2

For some people, there is exactly one job in the world they're meant to have, and Belichick has been in that job for decades.  What's he supposed to do if he retires, start a book club?  He won't retire, ever, unless he has a health issue that forces him to step back.  

The biggest issue is that he's also the GM and he's not nearly as good at that job as he is as HC.  A time might come when he's forced to step away from GM duties, but even that looks unlikely at this point since he has so much power in the organization and is so close to the Krafts.   

15 minutes ago, Ghost_002! said:

Bingo!  It's all intentional.  

Do you remember the movie "Being There" with Peter Sellers?  A guy starts speaking in obscure platitudes, and everyone considers him a genius.  The thing is, Belichick really is a genius at coaching and also cheating, but the platitude approach is safe, boring, and never gets him into hot water, so he can concentrate on his two areas of excellence.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Utah John said:

For some people, there is exactly one job in the world they're meant to have, and Belichick has been in that job for decades.  What's he supposed to do if he retires, start a book club?  He won't retire, ever, unless he has a health issue that forces him to step back.  

The biggest issue is that he's also the GM and he's not nearly as good at that job as he is as HC.  A time might come when he's forced to step away from GM duties, but even that looks unlikely at this point since he has so much power in the organization and is so close to the Krafts.   

Do you remember the movie "Being There" with Peter Sellers?  A guy starts speaking in obscure platitudes, and everyone considers him a genius.  The thing is, Belichick really is a genius at coaching and also cheating, but the platitude approach is safe, boring, and never gets him into hot water, so he can concentrate on his two areas of excellence.

He is actually not that bad of a GM, yes he has had some misses ( some bad misses too) but nobody is perfect in getting their drafts correct and there are teams who end up getting good draft picks because they have sucked for so long. His philosophy is give the other team no bulletin board material at all cost. So that is why he says very little at press conferences. His job is secured yes, sometimes to a fault (drafting) but i think there are people trying to force his hands a little when it comes to drafting certain position, I think. at least there should be more of it.

• Dislike 1

Pointless to listen to Belichick during the season b.c he won't give you anything. So please everyone don't waste 10min of your life.

1 minute ago, Ghost_002! said:

He is actually not that bad of a GM, yes he has had some misses ( some bad misses too) but nobody is perfect in getting their drafts correct and there are teams who end up getting good draft picks because they have sucked for so long. His philosophy is give the other team no bulletin board material at all cost. So that is why he says very little at press conferences. His job is secured yes, sometimes to a fault (drafting) but i think there are people trying to force his hands a little when it comes to drafting certain position, I think. at least there should be more of it.

He has been a very bad GM.

11 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Pointless to listen to Belichick during the season b.c he won't give you anything. So please everyone don't waste 10min of your life.

He has been a very bad GM.

He has had players who he has drafted and signed in free agency who have contributed and /or started through all of his years as a GM, especially comparing him to all the other GMs in the NFL. There are GMs who were in better draft positions and still screwed up their draft picks. Again I am not saying he hasn't had bad misses, but if we extend this to other GMs. I am sure you will find there are worse GMs than him. 

right now

jones

D.Harris

R.Steveson

Barmore

K. Dugger

J.Meyers

M.Onwenu

1st and 2nd years picks that have contributed to the pats winning 10 games this season.  (in only year 2 of Brady being gone...)

Edited by Ghost_002!

22 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

He is oddly both boring and interesting at the same time. He has an amazing ability to say nothing while speaking.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Utah John said:

When do we start calling him Marv so he'll retire? 

44 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Belichick press conferences are akin to what a conversation is like when you ask a kid how his school day was. 

Or when you try to get a kid to explain why they did something that they know was wrong. Or why a kid didn't do his homework. 

1 hour ago, ArtVandalay said:

Belichick press conferences are akin to what a conversation is like when you ask a kid how his school day was. 

If you have sons. 100% true ha ha.

I recall some parents reunions, even one that was 100% dads. It really was that clear cut. Those with daughters knew all the school gossip and more. Us dudes with sons barely knew anything ha ha.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.