Micah Hyde int on 4th down

CorkScrewHill

6 hours ago, Hsker4life said:

I thought Poyer was giving him hell for stealing his INT.

Seriously, how many times have you seen defenders intentionally drop an easy INT on 4th down to preserve field position? 

The game was out of hand at that point. Totally different situation than the AZ game last year.

6 hours ago, 947 said:

That's awesome. I was watching the game with my son, and after the INT, he asked why me Hyde didn't knock it down. I said maybe he has a contract bonus for INT totals, without actually knowing if that was the case. Now I'm the smartest dad in the world...

There’s a good life lesson there… whenever you see something happening with smart people in business that doesn’t make sense, is usually related to a bonus. 

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

4th down incompletion gives us better position and Hyde catches it instead of knocking it away. I initially thought that was not a smart play .. you can see in the video that Poyer questions him Hyde responds and they both start laughing. Hyde entered the game at 3 INTs and needed 5 to get a $500,000 bonus.

if you watch the video I am pretty certain that was the dialogue … good for you Micah!

Better position to kneel the ball down?  Are you dropping a ball that would give you 500k?

6 hours ago, Hsker4life said:

I thought Poyer was giving him hell for stealing his INT.

Seriously, how many times have you seen defenders intentionally drop an easy INT on 4th down to preserve field position? 

It would really matter what the goal of the next offensive drive would be.  Kneel downs matter ~ 0.  A drive that needs to end with a score and a Bills defender makes that int for a selfish goal, and I'd be freaking out.  Micah is very heady so I doubt he'd make that play in any situation other than to close the game.  I remember Nate Clements getting roasted for going for the int on a pass thrown by Byron Leftwich on a game winning TD drive.  Fans do not forget a selfish move that costs a win.

From ESPN:

Before the winning drive, Leftwich had gone 11-of-23 for 75
yards
, converted just two of 10 third-down attempts and threw two
interceptions.
In the final 2:07, he went 7-of-13 for 72 yards, and
converted three fourth-down plays.

That included the touchdown, when the Jaguars faced
fourth-and-goal from the 7 with four seconds remaining. Leftwich
sent up a touch pass to the back of the end zone, where Wilford
out-muscled three Bills defenders and came down with the ball as he
fell out of bounds.

The play was reviewed, and the officials' ruling on the field
that Wilford was pushed out stood, stunning a soldout crowd that
had spent most of the game cheering on a strong defensive effort.

Leftwich chose Wilford because at 6-foot-4, he presents a tall
target and, as a former basketball player, possesses great leaping
ability.

"Anytime you're 6-foot-4, you're open," Leftwich said smiling.

Just as impressive was Leftwich hitting Smith up the left
sideline for a 45-yard reception when facing fourth-and-14. Smith
made the catch in one-on-one coverage by out-muscling cornerback
Nate Clements along the left sideline.

Maybe somebody here remembers the game against Denver at the Ralph where the Broncos threw a hail mary at the end of the first half.  The ball was tipped and Clements could have blasted Rod Smith into oblivion instead he went for the INT and got outjumped for the ball and the Doncos went on to win the game.  
There's a good time and a bad time to go for the INT, and I have no problems with Micah doing so in this instance.  

12 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

4th down incompletion gives us better position and Hyde catches it instead of knocking it away. I initially thought that was not a smart play .. you can see in the video that Poyer questions him Hyde responds and they both start laughing. Hyde entered the game at 3 INTs and needed 5 to get a $500,000 bonus.

if you watch the video I am pretty certain that was the dialogue … good for you Micah!

Since there was 1 minute left in the game at that point and the next two plays were "victory on 3", field position doesn't matter.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Playoffs? said:

If Hyde made the ‘right(?)’ play and knocked it down, instead of the very easy INT… I wonder if the Bills would’ve honored the $500k bonus. 

He's still has to get 1 more.  But it would have been interesting to see how the Bills would have played it.

As its already been said, its a situational thing...and in this situation, intercepting the pass is mathematically the higher win probability practically at 100% where knocking the ball down leaves open the small possibility still of it being deflected to the opponent.  So again, in a 2 score game, the INT in this scenario gives us the higher win probability.

If he goes to deflect it and doesn't hit it cleanly, he could bat the ball into a position that could still be caught by the opponent for a potential score.  I have seen plenty of times where a defender has swatted a pass just to see it bounce eventually to an opponent for a big gain or TD.   

Add in the money bonus, and its a no brainer for Hyde to catch that pass in my book.  Not only benefits him deservingly so, but mathematically, it gives us the slightly higher win probability than attempting to just knock the pass down.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

As its already been said, its a situational thing...and in this situation, intercepting the pass is mathematically the higher win probability practically at 100% where knocking the ball down leaves open the small possibility still of it being deflected to the opponent.  So again, in a 2 score game, the INT in this scenario gives us the higher win probability.

If he goes to deflect it and doesn't hit it cleanly, he could bat the ball into a position that could still be caught by the opponent for a potential score.  I have seen plenty of times where a defender has swatted a pass just to see it bounce eventually to an opponent for a big gain or TD.   

Add in the money bonus, and its a no brainer for Hyde to catch that pass in my book.  Not only benefits him deservingly so, but mathematically, it gives us the slightly higher win probability than attempting to just knock the pass down.  

I disagree.  I've seen more successful Hail Marys on plays where the defender tries to catch it rather than knock it straight down.  

10 minutes ago, Doc said:

I disagree.  I've seen more successful Hail Marys on plays where the defender tries to catch it rather than knock it straight down.  

I get that...and can't really say for sure you are mathematically right or wrong.

Admittedly, I do not have any stats, nor do I know if they can even be found in the first place, but I would say I have seen deflections caught by the opponent more than dropped INT attempts ending up in the opponents hands.  Obviously both happen, but I think its more common on a deflection.  But I preface that as pure opinion with no statistical data to back that up.  

However, this was not a jump ball in traffic.  It was 3 bills defenders on an under thrown ball to single WR and was right to Hyde.  So catching it 100% ends the game.  Deflecting it opens up the opportunity to be deflected into an opponents hands.  

So I still believe the math favors him catching that pass which was right in his gut over attempting to knock it away.  I think its a very narrow margin of difference though given the overall situation of the play and game scenario.  But still, I would rather see him end the game there then risk tipping it elsewhere for a possible unintended reception for a score.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.