Micah Hyde int on 4th down

CorkScrewHill

12 hours ago, Hsker4life said:

I thought Poyer was giving him hell for stealing his INT.

Seriously, how many times have you seen defenders intentionally drop an easy INT on 4th down to preserve field position? 

I would say something like that is incredibly rare.

I do remember one last minute drive, where the Bills needed to get down the field and score.  The QB made a stupid throw to Fred Jackson in the center of the field which would have consumed so much clock (catching and then being tackled inbounds) that Fred very alertly just batted the ball down for an incompletion in order to save precious seconds on the clock. 

That was a really intelligent play, and extremely rare IMO.

Aside from performance bonuses, players are thinking about stats in regards to how it affects their next contract negotiations, Pro Bowl/All Pro voting, and even Hall of Fame voters. You can't fault a guy for taking an easy INT, unless it costs them in the game.

14 hours ago, Hsker4life said:

Seriously, how many times have you seen defenders intentionally drop an easy INT on 4th down to preserve field position? 

Very rarely. 

The game was over either way. Everyone knew that. Even without Hyde earning a 500k bonus for it, I'd say you intercept it because it's a mental thing (admittedly minor, but still greater than the "field position" for a kneel down drive argument). Jones now has multiple ints for that game. People won't talk about the context. 

19 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

4th down incompletion gives us better position and Hyde catches it instead of knocking it away. I initially thought that was not a smart play .. you can see in the video that Poyer questions him Hyde responds and they both start laughing. Hyde entered the game at 3 INTs and needed 5 to get a $500,000 bonus.

if you watch the video I am pretty certain that was the dialogue … good for you Micah!

This happens a lot with deep pass that are often underthrown.  In terms of field position, in the best interest for a defense to knock it down.  But nearly every DB will take the INT.  In this situation, it didn’t really make a difference.  

If there was more time on the clock, I’d want him to know the ball down.

20 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

4th down incompletion gives us better position and Hyde catches it instead of knocking it away. I initially thought that was not a smart play .. you can see in the video that Poyer questions him Hyde responds and they both start laughing. Hyde entered the game at 3 INTs and needed 5 to get a $500,000 bonus.

if you watch the video I am pretty certain that was the dialogue … good for you Micah!

19 hours ago, Hsker4life said:

Agree it never happens. Part of it may be defenders zone out in the moment and just catch it.  But likely bigger reason is they was the glory of the Int and may factor into a bonus also.  It this case it was so close to the end of game it didn't matter anyway.

On 12/30/2021 at 1:22 PM, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Herbert threw a jump ball about 50 yards that was caught around the 3 yard line or so.

I still have no recollection but I'll take your word. As a positive, pretty certain this defensive group won't be giving up anymore after last year. 

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

There is a difference between a deflection and a tip which announcers often miss.

• a deflection changes the angle of the ball; you can deflect the ball by just getting in the way including helmet.
  • a tip redirects ball adding momentum to ball and raises the ball (think volleyball).

Bills players are very good at tipping ball which makes interceptions not just chance.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.