Spotrac: 2022 AFC East offseason preview

BillsMafi$

On 12/29/2021 at 11:35 PM, BruceVilanch said:

I'm not an offensive line savant, but is Morse bad? like cut/trade bad? we are pretty thin on the OL and Morse seems to be a pretty decent C.

He's not bad, but he's not dominant despite being paid like a top center. I think Bates is being prepped to replace him at a much lower salary.

Sign the best C/G you can

Draft one in the first round - they are there in the 20s.

Sign a CB to hold it down till Tre comes back

Always draft DBs

Find a RB to replace Moss - and upgrade over Motor who I'd love nothing more to see him become the man here down the stretch.  

That's probably the priority list not involving our own RFAs or UFAs.  

Aside from the obvious ones I'm moving on from Sanders, Hughes, and Addison.

Keep Wallace and Harry.  

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Notable Unrestricted Free Agents:

Jerry Hughes (DE, 33), 

Mario Addison (DE, 34), 

Harrison Phillips (DT, 25)

Emmanuel Sanders (WR, 34), 

Levi Wallace (CB, 26), 

Matt Breida (RB, 26),

(I’ve bolded who I think they will make an offer to bring back)

EDIT: 

Not listed in the article are the following players that are also unrestricted free agents:

McKenzie (WR)

Zimmer (DT)

Neal (CB)

Obada (DE)

Jones (RB)

Trubisky (QB)

Butler (DT)

Boettger (OL)

Literally not a single impact player on the list.  Wouldn’t mind seeing Wallace, Zimmer, MT, McKenzie, back, but no real losses if any of them get offered any real deals.   I like McKenzie, but apparently he’s not a favorite of McClappy.

9 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Notable Unrestricted Free Agents:

Jerry Hughes (DE, 33), resign

Mario Addison (DE, 34), let him walk

Harrison Phillips (DT, 25), resign

Emmanuel Sanders (WR, 34), let him walk

Levi Wallace (CB, 26), resign

Matt Breida (RB, 26), let him walk

(I’ve bolded who I think they will make an offer to bring back)

EDIT: 

Not listed in the article are the following players that are also unrestricted free agents:

McKenzie (WR) resign

Zimmer (DT) resign

Neal (CB) resign

Obada (DE) resign

Jones (RB) ???

Trubisky (QB) he walks probably Denver

Butler (DT) no interest 

Boettger (OL) resign

Morse lowered his salary last year and though only average is still at worst the third best guy one the line - and that assumes Brown continues to develop. I wanted a C/G last year in the draft instead of Basham. I would spend money in FA on a really solid guard. Put him between Dawkins and Morse and the left side is set. Boettger will be cut or injury settlement.  No way he plays next year with an Achilles tear in December.  Keep Ford because he is cheap and has played a little better as of late.

First round take OT unless there is a major run on them. If there is then go WR,RB, or TE.

On 12/30/2021 at 12:00 AM, HIT BY SPIKES said:

Morse is just not playing up to his contract anymore.  He is an average NFL C.

I think he may retire this offseason as the rumours about what his father has said and his desire to spend more time with his disabled brother.

He is not a player that is all about the money.

He is a decent starting center.  You can save money if you cut him but then you have to replace him with a guy who has never been in the Bills program.   

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Then from the outside? I suspect they sign at least one FA interior offensive lineman and possibly a receiver but I expect the receiver to be more a #3/#4 guy rather than a name in the way Sanders was. 

Depending on the Rodgers/Adams situations in GB….. Valdez-Scantling may be on Beane’s radar. They brought him in for a pre draft visit. Plus, MVS has used his freakish size/speed combination to become a good outside blocker and deep threat; can’t teach 6’4” & 4.39. I’m sure McB noticed that Davis is the only WR who really blocks bubble screens well. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Anybody have thoughts on what we're going to do with Klein?

Some on here are advocating letting him go. I like what he provides to the team.

I’d focus on the OL. I’d go OL, CB, and RB in Rds 1-3, whoever is the BP at our spot. As for which spot on the OL, again, the best OL at our spot, be it a G, T, or C. We need upgrades at every position on the line. I also expect us to bring in someone decent in FA. 

I’d let the new RB and Motor battle it out.

Hughes, thank you for your service

Jones - bye

Addison - bye

Sanders - bye

Beasley - bye

Wallace - re-sign

Draft a TE in the 4th rd. 

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, entropyrules said:

Those extra late round picks - I hope they somehow find a diamond in the rough at CB, S, or OG

anyone have an idea (probably too early to ask) if the Bills get any comp picks this year or are they all slotted for the Patriots per NFL policy

With Trib likely to get a good contract chances of Bills getting comp picks goes up especially if they sign players post June 1.

Dang, the Dolphins have a ton of cap space. Maybe they'll spend it all on TE's and not use them much like New England did last off-season.

6 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

He is a decent starting center.  You can save money if you cut him but then you have to replace him with a guy who has never been in the Bills program.   

Bates can play center...

4 hours ago, MJS said:

Dang, the Dolphins have a ton of cap space. Maybe they'll spend it all on TE's and not use them much like New England did last off-season.

Bates can play center...

Bates can play center.  But can he play it as well as Morse?  Will it impact Josh?   Saving money is fine but you dont do it just to do it.  You have to make your team better in the process.

11 hours ago, YattaOkasan said:

I think one of mongo or Morse is gone. 

Agreed but its probably the guy who is nevet on the field.  

On 12/30/2021 at 12:00 AM, HIT BY SPIKES said:

Morse is just not playing up to his contract anymore.  He is an average NFL C.

I think he may retire this offseason as the rumours about what his father has said and his desire to spend more time with his disabled brother.

He is not a player that is all about the money.

He's obviously better moving backwards in pass pro instead of forward in run blocking. Coming from KC's offense this is not a surprise. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.