McDermott in rare coaching company

Logic

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Crazier stat-  

John madden had 32 losses

and 103 wins. 

now THAT’S impressive 

He was also involved in two of the most famous NFL game endings of all time...

The "Heidi Game" as an assistant coach and then the "Holy Roller" game as head coach.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Crazier stat-  

John madden had 32 losses

and 103 wins. 

now THAT’S impressive 

Wow, reading up on Madden. Coached the Raiders for 10 seasons and never had a losing record. Made the playoffs 8 times. 

They played in the AFC Championship game 7 freaking times in 10 years. While losing 6 championship games, they won the Super Bowl in their lone appearance.

Madden's only playoff loss outside of a Conference championship came against the Steelers on Franco Harris's Immaculate reception. 

That's one hell of a career. 

Edited by Motorin'
  • Like (+1) 5

59 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

#1 ranked defense(2nd in scoring)

#6 ranked offense(3rd in scoring)

Number 1 in net point differential by a mile.

Are you ***** insane?

Most people don't want the coordinators gone and understand that it's up to players to execute the plays properly when put in position to do so.

Okay you want to do the stats thingy?  We’ve played 2 teams with top 10 offenses and 10 in the bottom 10.  If we’re not ranked #1 based on quality of the teams we’ve played I’d be even more frustrated.

On offense we’ve played 6 of the bottom 10 teams and 3 of the top 10.  Our opponents have been awful this year.

Take away the blowout wins against 3rd string QB teams like the Texans and WFT and replace with our average stats from the other games, we don’t look so good.  Until last week we’ve had zero running game, zero pass rush, and awful oline play.  We allow 30+ yard runs nearly every game and our red zone efficiency is 53% on TDs good for 22nd in the league and down 9% from last season.

This team is loaded with talent on both sides of the ball and has benefited from having a cake walk schedule.  

Hopefully we can continue to look as good on offense as we did against the Pats on Sunday because the vanilla bend but don’t break D has allowed teams to rack up plenty of second half points.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Weatherman said:

Okay you want to do the stats thingy?  We’ve played 2 teams with top 10 offenses and 10 in the bottom 10.  If we’re not ranked #1 based on quality of the teams we’ve played I’d be even more frustrated.

On offense we’ve played 6 of the bottom 10 teams and 3 of the top 10.  Our opponents have been awful this year.

Take away the blowout wins against 3rd string QB teams like the Texans and WFT and replace with our average stats from the other games, we don’t look so good.  Until last week we’ve had zero running game, zero pass rush, and awful oline play.  We allow 30+ yard runs nearly every game and our red zone efficiency is 53% on TDs good for 22nd in the league and down 9% from last season.

This team is loaded with talent on both sides of the ball and has benefited from having a cake walk schedule.  

Hopefully we can continue to look as good on offense as we did against the Pats on Sunday because the vanilla bend but don’t break D has allowed teams to rack up plenty of second half points.

So what do you really think?

9 hours ago, Logic said:

I was quite surprised by this statistic and wanted to share it with all of you. 

And to think, some were ready to move on from coach McDermott earlier this season.

I have said this before but what he and Beane have done to change the culture of this franchise in a short period of time is really impressive. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, cDAVIS said:

Anybody who wanted him gone is insane in my opinion. They also must have short term memory and have issues remembering the past and how bad it was. Hell, even in our glory days we couldn't bring home a ring. I love McD and Beane and I honestly believe there will be a statue of him clapping outside our new stadium when its built. 

right next to the one of Josh jumping over someone

9 hours ago, Logic said:

I was quite surprised by this statistic and wanted to share it with all of you. 

And to think, some were ready to move on from coach McDermott earlier this season.

But let me guess…it’s only because McDermott beats up on bad teams right?

5 hours ago, Weatherman said:

It has been an up and down season. Your points are taken but also think there has only been one game the Bills were handed their ass (Indy). Other than that, every other loss was winnable. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Joe Mama said:

There will always be some "fans" who want the coach's head unless they win EVERY game; even then they will be critical for winning "ugly" or not by a big enough margin--it's in their genetic makeup.

Unfortunately, they all are Bills fans.

6 hours ago, Weatherman said:

Sounds like we’re peaking at the right time to me. 

6 hours ago, Motorin' said:

Wow, reading up on Madden. Coached the Raiders for 10 seasons and never had a losing record. Made the playoffs 8 times. 

They played in the AFC Championship game 7 freaking times in 10 years. While losing 6 championship games, they won the Super Bowl in their lone appearance.

Madden's only playoff loss outside of a Conference championship came against the Steelers on Franco Harris's Immaculate incompletion

That's one hell of a career. 

Fixed it for you.

Ever notice how they never show the angle where you can see the ball touch the ground ?

Then they claim they didn't have the coverage they do now LMAO

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, cDAVIS said:

Anybody who wanted him gone is insane in my opinion. They also must have short term memory and have issues remembering the past and how bad it was. Hell, even in our glory days we couldn't bring home a ring. I love McD and Beane and I honestly believe there will be a statue of him clapping outside our new stadium when its built. 

I agree.  There is a big difference between getting mad at him for game day decisions and wanting him gone.  It's like getting mad at your spouse or kid for something and jumping from that to wanting them out of your life.   

Quite simply he's the best Bills coach since Marv Levy and IMO it's not even close.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Weatherman said:

Reminder: Always take what a weatherman says with a grain of salt. Turns out they are wrong a good portion of the time.

I hope this silences the "fire McDermott" crowd for awhile.

11 hours ago, NoSaint said:

you wrote him a letter?

I wrote to Marv Levy from Saudi Arabia during the Gulf War.  He wrote back.  Class act.  I hope you got a reply.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, cDAVIS said:

Pay McDermott whatever he wants for eternity. Has nobody been paying attention to the Sabres. This franchise is capable of being historically bad under this ownership. 

Maybe McD is a perennial 10-7 coach from here on out. Maybe we never go to a Super Bowl. Maybe we never win another playoff game. 

All of that is better than what the Pegulas have done with the Sabres over the last decade. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.