Boston Globe tough on Belichick

Shaw66

Can you imagine if we lived by this type of standard in WNY?  Excellence is to be expected and when it is not delivered, we are mad.

Wow, can't imagine that in WNY! 

And if we actually got that, 90% of this board would be furious, attacking the Buffalo News or whoever was saying it, and trying to offer protection to the coach/team/organization.

😂

Belichick is a sub 500 coach without Brady in 9 seasons. It is looking like he will get his team into the playoffs. So in 9 seasons without Brady (1991-1995 Browns) and (2000, 2008*, 2020, 2021) he will have made the playoffs twice .222 success rate. That’s not that good. I wonder what Bills fans would think if McD had made the playoffs once in 5 seasons?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I don’t think they did really…they had a good defense last year even with a few important Covid holdouts.  They were an average qb away from being a good not great team which is exactly what they are.  The whole pats hype train thing just doesn’t add up to me…idk how nfl analysts weren’t talking them up as an afc east competitor pre season.  7 win team missing some defensive standouts and with a starting qb that literally can’t throw the ball last season was about right results wise too.  Pats are exactly what I expected 

If you would've told me Pats would be 3 games above .500 and tied w/ Bills (excluding tie breakers) I would've laughed in your face.

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

It's more impressive than you make it sound there, what Belichick did. 

Brady right from year one was better than people were giving him credit for. But he wasn't what we now think of as Tom Brady till year six, and they won SBs when he was nowhere near what Allen is right now.

And you can blame Belichick for those bad years in Cleveland but they are just as legitimately blamed on QBs who weren't even capable game managers and poor GMsmanship there.

Brady was the bigger piece of those 6 Lombardis, IMO, but Belichick is partially responsible for turning him into the HOFer he clearly is.

I expect the Pats in the third and fourth year of what is essentially in large part a rebuild to field a consistently competitive, good team, but maybe never win another Lombardi under Belichick, unless Jones improves a lot more than I expect him to.

Belichick will be 70 in April.  How long do you think he is going to coach for?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Can you imagine if we lived by this type of standard in WNY?  Excellence is to be expected and when it is not delivered, we are mad.

Wow, can't imagine that in WNY! 

And if we actually got that, 90% of this board would be furious, attacking the Buffalo News or whoever was saying it, and trying to offer protection to the coach/team/organization.

😂

You clearly never frequent the game day threads. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Jeffbigalls said:

Yet this far more talented team buffalo won't get a ring this year, and the window is closing. There are no excuses for losing to Jacksonville. 

Tennessee and Indy and Tampa are reasonable loses they are great teams. There should have never been a fight for the division on any level 

And how do the pats have a better conference record? 

And while Mac Jones hasn't been the best, he is still close to joining a small group of rookie qbs to lead his team to a playoff spot.  That's no easy task.

But where we stand is 9-6 and 9-6 and the pats 9-6 is more of an accomplishment, than a team projected to win 12+ and roll to a playoff spot. 

Belichick dose a great job getting bums to play and that's why they are close to a playoff spot. 6-7 win season to potentially 10 wins is far greater than what they where supposed to do 

M

Most rookie QBs don't walk into the best coaching situation in the NFL with a strong defense and strong run game.  They usually walk into a dog ***** team like the Jets because they had a top draft pick.

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Not.  The Cheaters played the Titans without Henry, AJ Brown and Julio Jones.  

OK knew Henry was out,forgot about Jones and Brown also were out.  So also not as impressive

8 hours ago, Gugny said:

We can agree to disagree.

I know that his patented 55-step drop-back, running around in circles, then scrambling for a 1-yard gain excited a lot of people.

Me?  I thought he sucked.

14 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

The Patriots achieved far more than what was expected of them prior to the season and I think the fans should be a little more thankful. Mac Jones has looked pretty good his rookie season and the defense is top notch. I don't think they'll go far in the post-seasom, but at least they have something to build on. Honestly, I hope they suffer a little more. 

Flutie didn't "suck." He was just overhyped. Indeed the most polarizing figures in Bills history other than OJ.

I thought Flutie's first year here,they won alot of games because of his play.  But by the 2nd year, teams figured him out.  Make him throw outside and keep a spy to prevent runs.  Once that happened, he wasn't anything special and they won the 2nd year because of the defense.

Recall to whenever there was any questions after the games in year 2 in particular about his play in the direction of not being great, he wouldn't throw someone else under the bus or wouldn't go after the writer who asked, but would instead try to answer the question with a question and deflect everything away from himself.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

OK knew Henry was out,forgot about Jones and Brown also were out.  So also not as impressive

Not impressive at all.  The Bills would have obliterated the Titans without those 3 (heck, without Henry and Brown).

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Doc said:

Had it not been gale force winds in the first matchup, the Bills would have swept them. 

Did the gale force affect Jones or Allen?  The Patriots could have still chosen to run 45 times whether there were winds or not.   Why do anything else unless the other team can stop me.

On 12/28/2021 at 9:20 PM, Doc said:

Except that his record without Brady is well below .500 and Brady just won a SB with another team. 

*with Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, Antonio Brown, Gronk, Leonard Fournette and a dominant defense.

The most talented team he's ever played on.  One of the most talented I've ever seen really.

15 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Geez and consider the vitriol when anything negative is posted about McD here???

This is a Bills board.  While fun to read a little about NE fans upset after the Sunday loss and complaining about refs, bad breaks, Mac, BB and the defense, back to Bills talk. 

McD hasn't coached his team to 6 Superbowl wins.    That kind of success rate earns you deep respect from your fanbase.    

I bet those fans were tougher on the hoodie prior to his first Superbowl win and probably were still tough after one or two of them.     By the time the Patriots had won number 3 or 4 you would start to look like a dickwad being too hard on the coach.

NFL players aren’t dumb when it comes to football. By the time they have reached the pro’s they have played and watched a ton of football. I am beginning to wonder if the players on the Pats are losing faith in Jones.

Starting with only letting him throw the ball 3 times against the Bills, while watching Josh fling it in the wind. Then Jones follows that game up with a poor performance for 3 quarters in Indy and can’t bring his team back from a hole he helped dig. Last, he goes back up against Buffalo in a game where you would think the Pats and Jones would want to prove he can pass the ball at least average, and turns out they needed him too. Jones couldn’t deliver. These next two weeks are really key for Jones and NE. Interested to see if the team keeps rallying around him. Do the players in Foxboro already know the answer to what we will debate here all off-season? 

5 hours ago, ganesh said:

Did the gale force affect Jones or Allen?  The Patriots could have still chosen to run 45 times whether there were winds or not.   Why do anything else unless the other team can stop me.

So then why didn’t the Cheaters run 45 times in the 2nd game?

3 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

*with Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, Antonio Brown, Gronk, Leonard Fournette and a dominant defense.

The most talented team he's ever played on.  One of the most talented I've ever seen really.

I’d say it’s all right up there with his 2017.  He still won a Super Bowl while his old team faltered.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.