[Misleading Title] Beane doubles 2022 cap space releasing Beasley and Star this offseason

Inigo Montoya

I cannot see any realistic path to Beasley being here next season.  From a football perspective, Bease is aging FAST.  Despite his grit and determination to play through pain, injuries will become the norm for him going forward.  For him to play his A game, he will continue to take a pounding and his soon to be 33 year old body just isn't likely to hold up to that style.  Look at the injuries he's taking on in just the last calendar year: leg fracture, rib fractures...  Those are the signs of an aging athlete putting too much stress on his body and putting himself in harm's way too often. This won't magically get better as he continues to age.

Beane gets paid to determine and reward what performance and contribution will be, not reward what it has been.  When you consider the other factors of cap savings, depth at his position, and the divisiveness and occasional volume and distration of his public voice, I just don't see it working out here for Cole beyond this season.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Even with the cap going up next year the Bills are only projected to have $9.5 million in cap space in 2022.  I think the development of McKenzie and Harrison Phillips have put Beasley's and Star's roster spot in jeopardy.  Releasing Beasley and Star this offseason will free up over $10 million in cap space, more than doubling what the Bills are projected to have right now.

If you look at the Bills cap space / roster next year there isn't a whole lot of fat to trim.  Outside of restructuring deals to make space, I think releasing Beasley and Star are the two places where some real savings can be had.   Beane having $20 million in his pocket to spend next year should give him a lot of flexibility.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/2022/

Mckenzie in - Beasley out

2022 Beasley  

Salary-  $7.6 million

Dead Cap Hit-  $1.5 million

The way McKenzie stepped up in the Miami game last year and then again this week, I don't think we lose that much letting Beasley go.  If McKenzie can produce again next week versus the Falcons, I think it will be a done deal.  Beasley is going to get paid by someone, and deservedly so, but we have a servicable, inexpensive replacement already on the roster.  More importantly, we have a QB who elevates the play of any WR on the field.  I'm a huge Beasley fan, the guy is a helluva football player, but I think he ends up being traded or released to free up money.   

Phillips in - Star out

2022 Star

Salary-  $9.35 million

Dead Cap Hit-  $5.2 million

Horrible Harry is coming on strong, and honestly, I think Star just looks like he's finished to me.  I'm not sure what his personal issues were this week, and I wish him the best, but I think Harrison Phillips can take his spot and Ankou has flashed a bit as well.  The Bills can try to find a cheaper run stuffing big guy out there in the draft or free agency.  This is another move I'd be shocked if it doesn't happen.

Let it be done.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Even with the cap going up next year the Bills are only projected to have $9.5 million in cap space in 2022.  I think the development of McKenzie and Harrison Phillips have put Beasley's and Star's roster spot in jeopardy.  Releasing Beasley and Star this offseason will free up over $10 million in cap space, more than doubling what the Bills are projected to have right now.

If you look at the Bills cap space / roster next year there isn't a whole lot of fat to trim.  Outside of restructuring deals to make space, I think releasing Beasley and Star are the two places where some real savings can be had.   Beane having $20 million in his pocket to spend next year should give him a lot of flexibility.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/2022/

Mckenzie in - Beasley out

2022 Beasley  

Salary-  $7.6 million

Dead Cap Hit-  $1.5 million

The way McKenzie stepped up in the Miami game last year and then again this week, I don't think we lose that much letting Beasley go.  If McKenzie can produce again next week versus the Falcons, I think it will be a done deal.  Beasley is going to get paid by someone, and deservedly so, but we have a servicable, inexpensive replacement already on the roster.  More importantly, we have a QB who elevates the play of any WR on the field.  I'm a huge Beasley fan, the guy is a helluva football player, but I think he ends up being traded or released to free up money.   

Phillips in - Star out

2022 Star

Salary-  $9.35 million

Dead Cap Hit-  $5.2 million

Horrible Harry is coming on strong, and honestly, I think Star just looks like he's finished to me.  I'm not sure what his personal issues were this week, and I wish him the best, but I think Harrison Phillips can take his spot and Ankou has flashed a bit as well.  The Bills can try to find a cheaper run stuffing big guy out there in the draft or free agency.  This is another move I'd be shocked if it doesn't happen.

Wouldn't save 10 mil unless I am missing something. Both Mckensie and Phillips are free agents at the end of this year. If you re-sign Lil Dirty for say 3 mil. not sure what Phillips would be? Wouldn't it cut that 10 mil by a bunch? May save 10, but you have to spend it to replace them.

What would Phillips contract be?

Beas is gone, for football reasons as well as for being an idiot.  Got Wally Pipped yesterday.  McKenzie is younger, quicker, and has Josh’s trust.  Stevenson is there to develop.

Star can go pound sand as well.

We’re moving on from these aging vets with nothing much left to provide (except distractions).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I question the Bills talent judgement on the offense when they trade Teller and only signed McKenzie as an afterthought after his big performance at the last game against Miami last year. He is a Tyrek Hill type of player with better speed than Beasley and plays multiple positions. He is a gamebreaker that we haven't used all year and I want someone to ask the coaches why? His big fumble sticks out because he had so few plays all year and didn't deserve to be benched when Sanders is dropping passes regularly.

31 minutes ago, Doc said:

There was a rumor Morse might retire. It also may be time to replace him. 

Morse is not what they paid him to be, a top Center.  He’s just a center, average at best.  If they can find a replacement in the draft or cheaply through FA that’s optimal in my opinion.

3 hours ago, RichRiderBills said:

We are losing Butler, Hughes, Addison....will need to get some DL help. I agree we should resign McKenzie, but need to be patient. Let's not forget he basically lost his job. 

This guy came through for us but let's not go wild in thinking he's god.

Need to sign Phillips too. His contract is up after this season.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, 298Woody said:

I question the Bills talent judgement on the offense when they trade Teller and only signed McKenzie as an afterthought after his big performance at the last game against Miami last year. He is a Tyrek Hill type of player with better speed than Beasley and plays multiple positions. He is a gamebreaker that we haven't used all year and I want someone to ask the coaches why? His big fumble sticks out because he had so few plays all year and didn't deserve to be benched when Sanders is dropping passes regularly.

He’s not a Tyreek type talent.  Stop.  I’m as big a lil dirty fan as you’ll find.  This statement is ridiculous 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

[This is an automated response]

The topic title is potentially misleading. Accurate titles help the community find topics relevant to their interests and avoids reader frustration. Please change the topic title to more accurately reflect content of the original post.The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

12 minutes ago, 298Woody said:

No one else in the league offered him a much better deal so it wasn’t just our talent evaluation. 

I don’t question their talent evaluation cause nobody hits them all and I think they have gotten moves for QB1 and WR1 (as well as others) correct. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Albanybillsbacker said:

Star will be a post 6/1 cap casualty.  That will spread his dead cap over two seasons instead of all 5.2 in 2022.  So we will save an extra 2.6 million by waiting.  

If they draft a LBer, they could do something with Klein too. 

Honestly, they have tons of flexibility to create room if they need to.  Beane is pretty good with the cap. I don't think Edmunds is a $12 million dollar middle linebacker.  Maybe they work out a more reasonable long term deal.  I'd love to see a Milano type deal for edmunds.  

This is where I am. I like Edmunds and I want to like him way more than I do. I have a fear that he signs huge money elsewhere and turns out to be a stud. I would like to keep him. But I hate his valuation. Luckily we get to kick that can down the road a little bit longer. 

As far as Beasley, cap space, etc. Isaiah has had two big games when filling in for Beasley. Cole is missing two games down the stretch by choice this year. If McKenzie keeps playing well, it is his job to lose going into the playoffs as far as I am concerned. It is also a shot across the bow to guys like Davis, get your vaccine so you can be available to your teammates, or I won't hesitate to replace you if somebody else fills in for you for two weeks. I think this is why Sanders was brought in as well. The Bills probably could have run with Davis and Beasley this year, but covid in the WR room is a real concern. Having your WR2 and WR3 out for 10 days is a big deal. The Bills bet right on this one, and we were lucky to have Sanders on the roster. (Drop or not) 

12 minutes ago, Crayola64 said:

he said “type player”

you said “type talent”

Ok.  He’s still wrong.  He’s short.  He’s fast (but not nearly as fast).  He’s not nearly as strong.  He’s not nearly the route runner.  He’s just not.  He a good football player, Tyreek is different. They’re both short, fast and play WR.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

DT is a big need on this team and as much as I hate Star right now I respect that he is a suitable DT. Maybe if we play a run team again, which is likely, we can have both Philips and Starbpitch in and maybe we hold the RB under 5.2 yards/carry.

Go Bills!

PS - 5.2 dead cap is way too much!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.