[Misleading Title] Beane doubles 2022 cap space releasing Beasley and Star this offseason

Inigo Montoya

1 hour ago, 298Woody said:

I question the Bills talent judgement on the offense when they trade Teller and only signed McKenzie as an afterthought after his big performance at the last game against Miami last year. He is a Tyrek Hill type of player with better speed than Beasley and plays multiple positions. He is a gamebreaker that we haven't used all year and I want someone to ask the coaches why? His big fumble sticks out because he had so few plays all year and didn't deserve to be benched when Sanders is dropping passes regularly.

Mostly because you are looking at things after the fact and think that means you know something.

You would be feeling totally different if we had retained Teller because he would of been cut after how bad he played in year 1 in Cleveland.  He would never have fit with the offensive scheme in Buffalo.  He blossomed finally under the run first offensive change with Stefanski.  In Buffalo - he looks more like Feliciano or Ford than the Cleveland version of Teller because he is spending 80% of the game pass blocking - more passive than the Cleveland running attack.

McKenzie was resigned as an afterthought when pretty much no one else in the league offered him anything as a FA.  He has had 2 good games in 5 years in the NFL as a wideout.  Last time he had a game like this against Miami - he got hurt and missed time and was limited.  He is quick and fast and is capable of running some routes and if he continues to grow great, but I would not expect to see him repeat this much more.  

He is a chess piece that can be used, but he is not a Tyree Hill player.  He is just another piece to be used in a game plan as needed.

Totally agree with the poster.   Im cutting Star(post June 1), Beasley, Klein, Matakevich, and maybe Morse.  Would give me about 40 million and I only have to replace 2 starters, Beasley and Morse.  Think the past 2 years have shown me Star is not a starter. Think we can find a C in round 1-3.   I use the savings to resign Wallace, Mackenzie and Philips, a FA or 2, and our rookie pool.    The following year, if Edmunds doesnt take a big step up, I will let him walk in 23 and pick up a 3rd comp pick.   You also have to begin thinking about Olivers future, I wouldnt overpay for him, but its just another piece of you cant keep everyone.  Would you pay Oliver decent money or Edmunds.   Think Oliver would be much cheaper than Edmunds.

9 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Even with the cap going up next year the Bills are only projected to have $9.5 million in cap space in 2022.  I think the development of McKenzie and Harrison Phillips have put Beasley's and Star's roster spot in jeopardy.  Releasing Beasley and Star this offseason will free up over $10 million in cap space, more than doubling what the Bills are projected to have right now.

If you look at the Bills cap space / roster next year there isn't a whole lot of fat to trim.  Outside of restructuring deals to make space, I think releasing Beasley and Star are the two places where some real savings can be had.   Beane having $20 million in his pocket to spend next year should give him a lot of flexibility.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/2022/

Mckenzie in - Beasley out

2022 Beasley  

Salary-  $7.6 million

Dead Cap Hit-  $1.5 million

The way McKenzie stepped up in the Miami game last year and then again this week, I don't think we lose that much letting Beasley go.  If McKenzie can produce again next week versus the Falcons, I think it will be a done deal.  Beasley is going to get paid by someone, and deservedly so, but we have a servicable, inexpensive replacement already on the roster.  More importantly, we have a QB who elevates the play of any WR on the field.  I'm a huge Beasley fan, the guy is a helluva football player, but I think he ends up being traded or released to free up money.   

Phillips in - Star out

2022 Star

Salary-  $9.35 million

Dead Cap Hit-  $5.2 million

Horrible Harry is coming on strong, and honestly, I think Star just looks like he's finished to me.  I'm not sure what his personal issues were this week, and I wish him the best, but I think Harrison Phillips can take his spot and Ankou has flashed a bit as well.  The Bills can try to find a cheaper run stuffing big guy out there in the draft or free agency.  This is another move I'd be shocked if it doesn't happen.

Beasley is clearly better, but I think your thinking is correct.  Some of McKenzie's comments after the game yesterday suggest that the light went on for him, as I think it did for several players.   He learned the intensity and focus he has to play with.   It was interesting that he said that on several of his catches yesterday he didn't know what down it was.   That's focus.   

Based on what we've seen the last few weeks, definitely Harry for Star. 

This year Beasley will be important in January.  Get him healthy.  This will allow the team to see if Mckenzie can constantly produce in the slot. Its a question to discuss in March imo.  Mckenzie would need an impressive month and a half to consider honestly.  I think Harry is a leader and he continues his play he will create the same discussion about Star.  Get Beasley and Star healthy for the playoffs and see what happens. 

9 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Even with the cap going up next year the Bills are only projected to have $9.5 million in cap space in 2022.  I think the development of McKenzie and Harrison Phillips have put Beasley's and Star's roster spot in jeopardy.  Releasing Beasley and Star this offseason will free up over $10 million in cap space, more than doubling what the Bills are projected to have right now.

If you look at the Bills cap space / roster next year there isn't a whole lot of fat to trim.  Outside of restructuring deals to make space, I think releasing Beasley and Star are the two places where some real savings can be had.   Beane having $20 million in his pocket to spend next year should give him a lot of flexibility.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/2022/

Mckenzie in - Beasley out

2022 Beasley  

Salary-  $7.6 million

Dead Cap Hit-  $1.5 million

The way McKenzie stepped up in the Miami game last year and then again this week, I don't think we lose that much letting Beasley go.  If McKenzie can produce again next week versus the Falcons, I think it will be a done deal.  Beasley is going to get paid by someone, and deservedly so, but we have a servicable, inexpensive replacement already on the roster.  More importantly, we have a QB who elevates the play of any WR on the field.  I'm a huge Beasley fan, the guy is a helluva football player, but I think he ends up being traded or released to free up money.   

Phillips in - Star out

2022 Star

Salary-  $9.35 million

Dead Cap Hit-  $5.2 million

Horrible Harry is coming on strong, and honestly, I think Star just looks like he's finished to me.  I'm not sure what his personal issues were this week, and I wish him the best, but I think Harrison Phillips can take his spot and Ankou has flashed a bit as well.  The Bills can try to find a cheaper run stuffing big guy out there in the draft or free agency.  This is another move I'd be shocked if it doesn't happen.

Also looks for them to release Jon Feliciano as well.  They can get out of his deal at the end of the season and if he’s not a starter it doesn’t make sense to pay him like one

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Beasley is clearly better, but I think your thinking is correct.  Some of McKenzie's comments after the game yesterday suggest that the light went on for him, as I think it did for several players.   He learned the intensity and focus he has to play with.   It was interesting that he said that on several of his catches yesterday he didn't know what down it was.   That's focus.   

Based on what we've seen the last few weeks, definitely Harry for Star. 

The difference is Mckenzie is a harder match up vs man than Beasley.  McKenzie’s speed  makes the crossers a impossible cover.  Beasley destroys zone but at this stage cant really run away from man coverage.  Mckenzie makes the offense more multiple.  When Davis is back its 2 fold.  Mckenzie gives the threat of the jet and backfield motion and speed to run away from man coverage.  Davis is a very good blocker.  So Buffalo can do all of their run stuff.  He can run past defenders deep and is nasty in Pa.  That pass to Kumerow hit Davis on the numbers.  

I think a combo of Beasley and Mckenzie will be big.  Beasley, Sanders, Diggs is similar to Brown, Beasley and Diggs.  Seemed teams have an understanding of slowing that down.  Davis and Mckenzie provides tougher questions for d.

12 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

The difference is Mckenzie is a harder match up vs man than Beasley.  McKenzie’s speed  makes the crossers a impossible cover.  Beasley destroys zone but at this stage cant really run away from man coverage.  Mckenzie makes the offense more multiple.  When Davis is back its 2 fold.  Mckenzie gives the threat of the jet and backfield motion and speed to run away from man coverage.  Davis is a very good blocker.  So Buffalo can do all of their run stuff.  He can run past defenders deep and is nasty in Pa.  That pass to Kumerow hit Davis on the numbers.  

I think a combo of Beasley and Mckenzie will be big.  Beasley, Sanders, Diggs is similar to Brown, Beasley and Diggs.  Seemed teams have an understanding of slowing that down.  Davis and Mckenzie provides tougher questions for d.

These are good points.   I think you meant combo of Davis and McKenzie.   Davis, Diggs, and McKenzie is a great package.  Diggs and McKenzie can get deep, and Davis isn't bad going deep.  If McKenzie can play the Beasley possession receiver role, which he clearly did yesterday, Bills don't lose much.   Plus, they have their jet sweep guy on the field more.  And Davis is a clutch possession and red zone guy.  Finally, as much as I love Beasley, he's a distraction.

And although I still have concerns, I gotta say it looks like I was wrong about McKenzie.   I blasted him for the fumble on the kickoff return, and he's been an inconsistent ball catcher for his entire career, but if on a consistent basis he can do anything like what he did yesterday, he's a player.   Gotta give credit to Daboll and McDermott for sticking with him.  

This was always going to be Beasleys last year in Buffalo. 

he either takes a massive pay cut or he will be gone. Stevenson was drafted for that reason. McKenzie back on a one year deal was also for that reason. 

Stevenson getting hurt early muddled this plan but the NE game is exactly what I thought Bills were going to do. Stevenson at Return and McKenzie on the offense. 

make no mistake the ability of McKenzie to run a full field crosser and create massive separation with pure speed is something that Beasley can never do. And something that is dramatically missing from this years offense compared to 2020. 

14 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

These are good points.   I think you meant combo of Davis and McKenzie.   Davis, Diggs, and McKenzie is a great package.  Diggs and McKenzie can get deep, and Davis isn't bad going deep.  If McKenzie can play the Beasley possession receiver role, which he clearly did yesterday, Bills don't lose much.   Plus, they have their jet sweep guy on the field more.  And Davis is a clutch possession and red zone guy.  Finally, as much as I love Beasley, he's a distraction.

And although I still have concerns, I gotta say it looks like I was wrong about McKenzie.   I blasted him for the fumble on the kickoff return, and he's been an inconsistent ball catcher for his entire career, but if on a consistent basis he can do anything like what he did yesterday, he's a player.   Gotta give credit to Daboll and McDermott for sticking with him.  

I know I was talking mainly about the impact of Davis and Mckenzie above.  To win it all and do what we all want Buffalo to do, Beasley will need to play a big part in it.  I think Beasley/Mckenzie combo in the slot will be killer.  Beasley vs the teams that wan to go all zone.  Teams want to go man to man Mckenzie will eat.  The rut of what to do vs zone?  How to attack man?  That could be in the rearview imo.  Attacking in the slot opens up Diggs. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.