A Few Thoughts about the Panthers Game, in no particular order

Virgil

My apologies for the lateness of this, but work and the upcoming holiday shifted my priorities a bit.  Watching the games this weekend, the reality of this COVID world was ever apparent as teams were missing key players.  Division games showed bizarre resorts as Marsha was smacked all over the field.  The hapless Detroit Lions found a way to dominate the Cardinals, and multiple teams threw backup or third string quarterbacks to the wolves.  It's unfortunately to have these last few week of the regular season be impacted like this, and it's affected every team differently, but it's the world we live in.

1 - Josh - While I think Josh overall played a good game, you could tell his toe was bothering him.  Surprisingly to me, it seemed to bother him more when he didn't have pressure (which wasn't very often).  When he was able to stay in the pocket and plant his feet, he put a few balls into the ground.  When he was evading the rush and I assume the adrenaline kicked in, he was accurate and played solid ball.  If Gabe wasn't held, he would have delivered a beautiful deep strike for a potential touchdown.  That may have been his most impressive throw, until he actually hit Gabe for a laser touchdown.  Watching it live, there seemed to be no possible way Josh was completing that pass.  However, most don't have the cannon Josh has either.  With a defender near him and two more closing in, Josh broke the sound barrier hitting Gabe in the chest.  As impressive as the throw was, the trust in Gabe to make that catch also goes to show why Gabe needs to be our #2.

2 - Motor - There's been a lot of debate around what needs to be done to fix our rushing attack.  Is it our offensive line or halfbacks?  Well, this game isn't going to answer either of those questions.  However, I would now say it's 1 - Scheme, 2 - Line, 3 HB Talent.  With one of our weakest offensive line groups of the season, Motor saw one of his better overall games.  His first rushing touchdown is all you can ask of a top tier back.  It was 20+ yards, showed burst, and broke some tackles.  We didn't over-commit to the run and I would argue this was about the perfect balance for a Josh-led offense.  Motor got almost all of the snaps and seemed to find a nice rhythm.  Motor still doesn't have the top end speed for toss plays I would like to see, but he did more than enough in this game to show why he should be our lead back for the rest of the season.  Holding onto the ball helped too.

3 - Spencer - Outside of an offensive lineman being a revolving door, Spencer Brown had possibly the worst game an offensive line player can have.  Yes, he played out of position and against a very fast Panthers defensive line.  Even with that, to have 5 penalties called against him, including one for taunting, is completely unacceptable.  McD did the right thing pulling him off the field.  I loved his participation in the Diggs beer celebration and you can tell he brings a lot of energy to the offense, but he needs to find a healthy outlet for it that doesn't hurt the team.

4 - Ladyfinger dipped in moonlight
Writing "What for?" across the morning sky
Sunlight splatters dawn with answers
Darkness shrugs and bids the day good-bye
Speeding arrow, sharp and narrow
What a lot of fleeting matters you have spurned
Several seasons with their treasons
Wrap the babe in scarlet covers, call it your own

5 - Cam - While I know he's on a huge downward trajectory, I do want to take a moment and admire how hard of a player he is to pull down.  The Bills hit Cam in the backfield multiple times this game, only to have Cam shrug them off and break away for a solid game.  He didn't run enough to merit putting a spy on him, but he found his yards in key situations.  There's a lot of comparisons between Cam and Josh, and I'm used to seeing Josh break those sacks; but I just have to tip my cap to Cam's overall athleticism.

6 - Diggs - While not a great game for him overall, I have to acknowledge him breaking 1,000 yards with 3 games left to play.  It's been a quiet year for Diggs overall, but he does provide a sense of stability at the receiver position we haven't had in a long time.  As for his touchdown, did anyone else forget that Gilmore played for the Panthers now?  To see Diggs physically dominate Gilmore on that play, and then host such a fantastic celebration afterwards, made it all a little bit sweeter.

7 - Defensive Line - Multiple guys on the line had some shining moments in this game.  It was spread out enough where it's hard to say who was the MVP.  Phillips started over Star and was pretty solid up the middle.  He's quietly had a upward trajectory performance these past few weeks.  Obada absolutely blew up a late series by sacking Cam twice.  Boogie did a great job on reading a RPO with a tackle for a loss.  No, they didn't go up against McC or a top tier offense, but it was still good to see some production from these guys.

8 - Frazier - I wish I could be in the strategy room to better understand when and why Frazier decides to send heat, because it's so hit or miss from game to game.  The Bills sent a 5th rusher quite a bit in this game.  Unfortunately, the 5th rusher was also a DB who Cam was able to shrug off.  The Bills hit home a few times with it and seemed to confuse Cam enough to break up some plays.  However, I'm still not seeing Frazier effectively implement stunts or other movement on the line to create better pressure with the front 4. 

9 - Milano - Again, while not exactly going up against a world beater offense without McD, Milano showed great coverage and closing speed.  He had a few plays where he forced the in-completion with quick hit.  He tracked outside runs quickly and got pressure in the backfield more than a few times.  The gap between him and Edmunds seems ever-apparent to me, but I'm tired of beating that drum.

10 - Moving Forward - We all know where we go next week.  No matter who is going to be out for this game (minus Josh), we can't have any excuses for this game.  The division is on the line, and most likely the playoffs.  If we can't go into Foxboro and beat this team, then we quite honestly don't deserve to make the playoffs anyways.  The prior's game tape is basically useless and the fans will be loud.  This is easily the biggest game of our season and it's put up or shut up time.  A win, and somehow all feels right in the world again.  A loss, and I think many will be questioning the fundamental makeup of this team.  Either way, should be an interesting game.

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Virgil
  • Like (+1) 23
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 14

WRT #3 Brown.  Agree he had a very rough game.  On the taunting call watching the replay it was one of those where the Panther player started it and pushed Brown, Brown pushed back and got the penalty.  Was similar to earlier on the personal foul against Carolina,  Bills pushed first, then Carolina retaliated and got flagged.  He needs to show more discipline, but just like the Carolina guy earlier and in every other game you watch easier said than done.  He only sat out one or two plays at most

I wonder if Brown and Groot have bot hit the "Rookie wall" as they call it after 10 or 11 games.  Couple that with both of them didn't even play at all last season, could be they are both just out of energy at this point as never had to go this long before. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

Motor still doesn't have the top end speed for toss plays I would like to see, but he did more than enough in this game to show why he should be our lead back for the rest of the season.  Holding onto the ball helped too.

He should definitely be the lead back on the Bills, but his skill set to me still screams really good #2 option. Some of his cut backs were nice but it takes him so long to start accelerating again that he doesn't pick up as many extra yards on those plays as he should. Singletary is a good enough pass protector and has a good enough skill set to get you by. Personally I want much more dynamic ability from my #1 RB.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

8- Frazier has been hit and miss his whole career. Both as a HC and DC. Lately McD has to intervene. These guys better quickly figure out this rotation nonsense. 

I think the rotation is helping a lot late in games but is it worth it? I have no idea lol we’ve had a few games where our defense was on the field nonstop without much of a dip in quality 

4 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

WRT #3 Brown.  Agree he had a very rough game.  On the taunting call watching the replay it was one of those where the Panther player started it and pushed Brown, Brown pushed back and got the penalty.  Was similar to earlier on the personal foul against Carolina,  Bills pushed first, then Carolina retaliated and got flagged.  He needs to show more discipline, but just like the Carolina guy earlier and in every other game you watch easier said than done.  He only sat out one or two plays at most

I wonder if Brown and Groot have bot hit the "Rookie wall" as they call it after 10 or 11 games.  Couple that with both of them didn't even play at all last season, could be they are both just out of energy at this point as never had to go this long before. 

Could be part of it…I’m sure moving a guy from RT to LT like two days before the game wasn’t a great situation either 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Virgil said:

Milano - Again, while not exactly going up against a world beater offense without McD, Milano showed great coverage and closing speed.  He had a few plays where he forced the in-completion with quick hit.  He tracked outside runs quickly and got pressure in the backfield more than a few times.  The gap between him and Edmunds seems ever-apparent to me, but I'm tired of beating that drum.

I actually didn't get to watch the game live but all the Cover 1 guys said this was a terrible game by Milano. He was also horrible against the Pats until the last drive. I think all the LBs need to up their game this week for the Bills to win.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Virgil said:

2 - Motor - There's been a lot of debate around what needs to be done to fix our rushing attack.  Is it our offensive line or halfbacks.  Well, this game isn't going to answer either of those questions.  However, I would now say it's 1 - Scheme, 2 - Line, 3 HB Talent.  With one of our weakest offensive line groups of the season, Motor saw one of his better overall games.  His first rushing touchdown is all you can ask of a top tier back.  It was 20+ yards, showed burst, and broke some tackles.  We didn't over-commit to the run and I would argue this was about the perfect balance for a Josh-led offense.  Motor got almost all of the snaps and seemed to find a nice rhythm.  Motor still doesn't have the top end speed for toss plays I would like to see, but he did more than enough in this game to show why he should be our lead back for the rest of the season.  Holding onto the ball helped too.

7 - Defensive Line - Multiple guys on the line had some shining moments in this game.  It was spread out enough where it's hard to say who was the MVP.  Phillips started over Star and was pretty solid up the middle.  He's quietly had a upward trajectory performance these past few weeks.  Obada absolutely blew up a late series by sacking Cam twice.  Boogie did a great job on reading a RPO with a tackle for a loss.  No, they didn't go up against McC or a top tier offense, but it was still good to see some production from these guys.

Go Bills!!!

As always, thanks Virgil.

To the items above, many have said it and I think this game is Exhibit A, if we commit to the run, even with makeshift o-line, Singletary is capable. Great? No. Capable? Yes. He is good in traffice runner who alway seems to stretch 2-yard gains into 4-yard gains. And on occassion, will show a burst of quickness and speed to get c=some chunck plays. Like all backs, it seems the more carries he gets, the more effective he becomes. He need 15+ a game, not the ususal 8-10 they give him. We need more of that, with a dose of Breida or McKenzie on some jet or quick hitters off the edge. It is generally effective, it keeps the defense honest, and opens opportunities in the passing game.

As for Phiiips, yes, his game has looked very good the past few weeks. I would say he is finally back from his injury. I would love to see more of him and Star on the field together, especially against run heavey teams (like NE). But that assumes Star is aviable. Doing that would force the BIlls to do something different with Oliver. Is it time to consider a three (or 5. with two DEs) man front? I think so. Again, and especially, against a run heavey team with at best an average passing game.

GO BILLS!

8 minutes ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Nice work as usual but surprised about the glowing Milano writeup after he got beat badly on Cam's one 23-yard passing TD to Abdullah out of the backfield where he appeared to have sole coverage responsibility.  

Yea he did. It was on a poorly timed blitz call as well where we sent Edmunds and vacated the middle of the field. I don't like this defense blitzing (I am not a huge fan of blitzing in general so maybe I am not entirely objective). It just isn't what we do well. I know some of it is simply that we have to blitz occasionally in order that all the simulated blitzes that we run where we show and drop out can be effective but I just don't think it plays to the skill sets of the guys we have. 

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Per #6, one of my favorite moments from the game was definitely Gilmore getting beat on the TD and then looking around for someone else to blame…Typical Gilmore!

Typical Gilmore was not too long ago considered the top CB in the league … but you have a narrative and you’re sticking to it, facts be damned. 

18 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Typical Gilmore was not too long ago considered the top CB in the league … but you have a narrative and you’re sticking to it, facts be damned. 

His body language of looking for whose fault that was had always been a trademark mark of his, even when he was tops… I think that is al that is meant.!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

His body language of looking for whose fault that was had always been a trademark mark of his, even when he was tops… I think that is al that is meant.!

I get that, but I can’t judge a player by his demeanor or facial expressions … that’s been Gilmore since the day he was drafted.  Somewhat reminds me of the Jack Eichel saga - a supremely talented player that fans turned on based largely on attitude and demeanor. 

1 - Josh - He had the game I expected after willing the Bills back singlehandedly vs TB. He played more then well enough to win, I wish late in the game they would've rested him for NE.

2 - Motor - Motor should be RB1 with mixes of Breida and McKenzie. Biggest thing is scheme. This game felt creative and I loved the running plays called. The issue all year for running the ball has been scheme to me and not sticking to a guy. Moss has not looked like the guy he was at the end of last year and I think that injury hurt him.

5 - Cam - It is truly a shame his shoulder fell apart because he is a dynamic player I liked watching. 

6 - Diggs - It is funny people say its been a quiet year for Diggs when he has equaled his TD total from last year and pacing for almost 1200 yds. It shows how freaking good he was last year. I have had this feeling the upcoming NE game will be his magnum opus on the season.

9 - Milano - He is at this point the most underrated LB in the NFL. The plays he makes weekly and impact is insane. I said all summer he was the one guy on D they couldn't afford to lose considering how much he does. Maybe this year he will at least get a pro bowl nod.

10 - Moving Forward - This is weird to say but this game feels like a true defining moment with NE and the Bills overall growth as a team. If you really have turned the page to be the alpha team and NE being the giant they were is in the past you win. In a weird way it is like 2019 again where ok they are there for the taking can you win one of two to send then back. I actually think Buffalo will make the playoffs regardless W/L, but optically and perception wise its about the division crown. Part of being the alpha is having a relatively off year where not everything is roses and goes your way and you still win the division. I think the Bills know that and they also know many people are doubting them and crowning NE. I have a feeling that will serve as motivation, but in the end it really comes down to Josh. Outside of some weird flukey loss 38-37 and he throws 400 yds 5 TDs, you were paid to be the dude and you have proven to win these games before. Time to close bud.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, corta765 said:

10 - Moving Forward - This is weird to say but this game feels like a true defining moment with NE and the Bills overall growth as a team. If you really have turned the page to be the alpha team and NE being the giant they were is in the past you win. In a weird way it is like 2019 again where ok they are there for the taking can you win one of two to send then back. I actually think Buffalo will make the playoffs regardless W/L, but optically and perception wise its about the division crown. Part of being the alpha is having a relatively off year where not everything is roses and goes your way and you still win the division. I think the Bills know that and they also know many people are doubting them and crowning NE. I have a feeling that will serve as motivation, but in the end it really comes down to Josh. Outside of some weird flukey loss 38-37 and he throws 400 yds 5 TDs, you were paid to be the dude and you have proven to win these games before. Time to close bud.

In my mind the Bills have already dethroned New England.   The Bills swept them last year.   The Patriots reign of dominance is over.

I feel like the majority of people who have watched both New England and the Bills play this year are of the opinion that the Bills are the better team, and by quite a bit.    I think New England knows it too - specifically Belichick.     I think the reason he was all smiles late in the game in Buffalo was because he couldn't believe his inferior team was actually beating a superior Bills team playing a rudimentary version of high school football.   That is truly laughable.     Belichick and everyone in New England knew the Bills were one play from winning that game, almost the whole game.   The Bills just could not execute that one difference making play.

Beating the Bills is an uphill battle for the Patriots and they know it.    They were lucky to win the first one.   They would have to be very lucky to win the second one.

Assuming we don't lose any more guys to Covid, and don't turn the ball over more than once, my gut tells me the Bills do make that difference making play this week.  I think they make several of those difference plays and win this game convincingly.     I predict the Bills will show this week that both their offense and defense is superior to the Patriots offense and defense.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

In my mind the Bills have already dethroned New England.   The Bills swept them last year.   The Patriots reign of dominance is over.

I feel like the majority of people who have watched both New England and the Bills play this year are of the opinion that the Bills are the better team, and by quite a bit.    I think New England knows it too - specifically Belichick.     I think the reason he was all smiles late in the game in Buffalo was because he couldn't believe his inferior team was actually beating a superior Bills team playing a rudimentary version of high school football.   That is truly laughable.     Belichick and everyone in New England knew the Bills were one play from winning that game, almost the whole game.   The Bills just could not execute that one difference making play.

Beating the Bills is an uphill battle for the Patriots and they know it.    They were lucky to win the first one.   They would have to be very lucky to win the second one.

Assuming we don't lose any more guys to Covid, and don't turn the ball over more than once, my gut tells me the Bills do make that difference making play this week.  I think they make several of those difference plays and win this game convincingly.     I predict the Bills will show this week that both their offense and defense is superior to the Patriots offense and defense.

I do not disagree with you about the Pats reign being over, but if they take the division they still become an obstacle again and you went 0-2. I agree Buffalo is more talented, but beat NE when they are up for once not on a down year. I hate that 2019 we couldn't have got them once to have done that when Brady was still there.

• Like (+1) 1

We will need Phillips and Star to come through on Sunday.  They have to stop the run and make the Pats one dimensional.  The DBs need to start creating turnovers. They have 2 over the past 5+ games...one of which was the floating duck from last week.   That is terrible.   The LBs need to wrap up their RBs and not give the additional yards after contact...they did that too many times the last time allowing the Pats to have easy 1st downs.

We need our offense to dink and dunk and kill the clock and make the Patriots defense tired.  Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.