Week 16: Bills at Pats - DISCUSSION

YoloinOhio

16 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Spot on.  The Bills have spent every resource on this 200 man D line rotation and a linebacker and they are bottom 7 in sacks.  Half the time they don't even get home when they blitz and they don't blitz often.  Its one thing if they don't really get home against that QB that throws the ball in 2 seconds but they consistently throughout the season have not gotten there.  IMO that's pretty unacceptable considering the resources in draft picks and cap space spent.

End the damn experiment.  Dump 4 of these guys and get 2 premium players.  They will be ok playing more than a handful of downs a drive just like the rest of the league.  They can keep their legs fresh by getting off the field instead of this bend don't break stuff.

Can you imagine "rotating" Bruce Smith. Rather have two studs than 4 duds.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

so you are ok with all the resources/picks that have been dumped into the defensive front and the overall lack of production. noted.

And i agree its been a comedy of errors in these close losses. Cant really pin it on one thing. 

Our pass rush is improved and I’m happy about that.  That’s what we were hoping for.  Sure, having more sacks would be great, but I think our pass rush has done its job this season. 

now, if we’re talking about dumping too many resources into the DL….. I agree.  We could’ve done a better job this offseason.  I wasn’t a fan of this offseason and have been vocal about that.  

i just don’t see any need to complain about getting sacks when we are getting solid pressure and have the best pass D in the league.  Just a waste of energy with nothing to show for it except “we should have more sacks”.  Idk man.  I don’t the crying about this

30 minutes ago, Success said:

I mean, life goes on if we don't win this game. I think we WILL win, but the ball can get bouncy, and nothing is guaranteed.

The way some are talking, we go back to watching NE win one division title after another if we lose this one.

Their HOF coach will be 70.  We'll have the best QB by a few miles, for at least a decade & probably more.

If we drop the division this year, it's a blip. An extremely unpleasant blip, but we should be faves to win the division again next year. And really, as long as we have Allen.

They aren’t a top tier team by any stretch of the imagination…both teams are playing like fringe playoff teams and we have a much higher ceiling if we put it all together.  They’ve gotten very lucky with Covid/injuries to opponents and it sounds like their luck could be running out this weekend…they could be missing a bunch of skill position guys 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

so you are ok with all the resources/picks that have been dumped into the defensive front and the overall lack of production. noted.

And i agree its been a comedy of errors in these close losses. Cant really pin it on one thing. 

If the discussion is did we invest too much in the DL, I agree.  The answer is yes.   

if the discussion is “is our pass rush good enough to win a SB, unlike last season” same answer.  Yes.  Getting sacks or not getting sacks isn’t the difference and not really worth discussing imo.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Our pass rush is improved and I’m happy about that.  That’s what we were hoping for.  Sure, having more sacks would be great, but I think our pass rush has done its job this season. 

now, if we’re talking about dumping too many resources into the DL….. I agree.  We could’ve done a better job this offseason.  I wasn’t a fan of this offseason and have been vocal about that.  

i just don’t see any need to complain about getting sacks when we are getting solid pressure and have the best pass D in the league.  Just a waste of energy with nothing to show for it except “we should have more sacks”.  Idk man.  I don’t the crying about this

Regarding the pass rush, and since this is the Pats* game thread, it's worth noting that Mac & Cheese threw the ball a grand total of three times way back in.. uh, three weeks ago...

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

If the discussion is did we invest too much in the DL, I agree.  The answer is yes.   

if the discussion is “is our pass rush good enough to win a SB, unlike last season” same answer.  Yes.  Getting sacks or not getting sacks isn’t the difference and not really worth discussing imo.

and i guess we'll just disagree. on the latter. i personally think its always been pretty obvious how important dropping the qb can be. especially during playoff football. 

Now as for this week in particular? I think merely pressuring the rookie qb could be extremely valuable. I'm also skeptical we'll be able to do it against their OL.

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Kellyhero68 said:

Can you imagine "rotating" Bruce Smith. Rather have two studs than 4 duds.

Which one of our current guys is equivalent to Bruce Smith? 😂

If we had a Bruce Smith on the team, I bet he would play more snaps than anyone else on that line.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Stank_Nasty said:

and i guess we'll just disagree. on the latter. i personally think its always been pretty obvious how important dropping the qb can be. especially during playoff football. 

I tend to agree with you. Constant pressure is certainly important. But, especially with playoff caliber coaches, and QBs, it's a given that they will be able to adjust to pressure. Dropping the QB to the turf definitely adds another wrinkle to personnel adjustments, and an undeniable psychological element to the quarterback.

1 hour ago, balln said:

I expect 2-3 competant NFL TEs like every other competant NFL team has 

Plenty of teams only have one TE. Who is KCs TE2? tenn TE2? Ariz TE2? Dal TE2? So many good teams don’t invest there.  What are you gonna pay this TE2?  I don’t want to pay more than vet minimum and for vet

min you’re getting a Sweeney type player.

1 hour ago, balln said:

poyer is not elite, please - he had gift INT in TB and CAR and didnt make play either time, he cant cover TE - hes a great system player w hyde and im glad we have him but hes not elite.

Poyer is playing at an all pro level this year. You better throw some respect on his name. 

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Plenty of teams only have one TE. Who is KCs TE2? tenn TE2? Ariz TE2? Dal TE2? So many good teams don’t invest there.  What are you gonna pay this TE2?  I don’t want to pay more than vet minimum and for vet

min you’re getting a Sweeney type player.

Poyer is playing at an all pro level this year. You better throw some respect on his name. 

The 4 teams you listed can all run the ball and pass protect.  They have NFL worthy OLs.  We do not.  We NEED to have a TE2 to help block (which we saw this past week).  Not having one hurts.  Sweeney is not an nfl player imo.  

spot on regarding Poyer.  

Edited by NewEra
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

I think Buffalo figured out Ne run game to a degree.  Obviously, pa fakes with pulling motion are inbound.  Can Jones capitalize?  Idk.  With out Bourne they will be in trouble.  

Agholor in concussion protocol also…They got beat up pretty badly last week idk too many guys they’ve got that can hurt us in single coverage.  Hunter Henry maybe

8 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I think NE is going to attack with jet motion - be it jonnu smith or meyers or whomever is healthy at WR.  They like to run tricky pass plays out of these too.  

I think meyers is hurt also but im having trouble finding an injury report for them. 

13 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Exactly....they will still run heavy but this game maybe pass 10-15 times. We cannot allow any long runs.

Are they going to roll with 6 olinemen plus a tight end blocking like last time? They won’t really be a threat to pass with all those injuries out of that formation.  I don’t want to jinx it but I think the pats are in a lot of trouble

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.