Thursday Night Football Game Thread : Week 15 Kansas City Chiefs at LA Chargers

HomeTeam

4 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Let's differentiate "coaching decisions" from "play-calling." Chargers offensive play-calling was masterful. Exploit the gaps where Chris Jones should be, repeatedly. 

Chargers repeated 4th down attempts were...less masterful. 

Play calling is a coaching decision.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

2-2 would be an excellent finish for them given the schedule. But that still means they are relying on tiebreakers at that point at 10-7 Who knows how those will unfold. Bills and Ravens currently have the same 5-5 conference record and both have 2 remaining against each conference to finish out the season. 

Our strength of victory is higher too believe it or not. 

Starting the week off in my office pool 0-1. Stupid Chargers coach. Going for it on 4th down every time. They had 3 chances to kick a FG and passed on all of them. They should have kicked the FG right before half. The other times I could understand going for it. They would have had momentum and a 7 point lead instead of 4 going to halftime.

7 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

We play better on the road and as an underdog.

Our best games under this regime have definitely been on the road.

Unfortunately, I don’t think we can beat Indy, Titans, or the Pats in a road playoff game. Our best chance would be Ravens, then Chiefs.

• Disagree 1

11 hours ago, TheProcess said:

“If I were starting a franchise today, I’d pick Justin Herbert to be my QB.”  I hear this all the time. Anyone care to elaborate why people view Herbert so much more favorably to Josh Allen? Herbert is a fine player, but I don’t get it. 

I’ve seen Herbert play a bunch. I’d consider him Josh Allen light. Herbert has the size and a nice arm, but Allen has the stronger arm and is more athletic. I like Herbert a lot, but I’d take Allen all day. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, Governor said:

Our best games under this regime have definitely been on the road.

Unfortunately, I don’t think we can beat Indy, Titans, or the Pats in a road playoff game. Our best chance would be Ravens, then Chiefs.

Meh.  We can beat anyone and we can lose to anyone.  Such is the state of the NFL.

• Like (+1) 2

It's time tested in the NFL over 75+ years or whatever....you kick the FG and stack points early in close games.  Yes, everyone wants to score a TD but the move was to take a 3-0 lead and then later on take a  13-7 lead or whatever it would have been with 2 easy kicks.  

56 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I didn’t include the Browns just because I can’t see them at all getting to 10 wins.

Still doesn't appear to matter if I drop the Browns to 9-8. Bills still get in with all four of the Bills, Ravens, Chargers and Bengals are tied at 10-7. In fact Bills still get in if the one loss comes to the Pats. In all of these scenarios I am seeing the Bills most likely the 7th seed. Which as of today and projecting out would mean most likely a wild card game on the road in either New England or K.C.

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

Yeah, they didn’t think these guys would regress so bad. That’s what happened.  Our line wasn’t nearly this bad last season.  Facts.  

i agree, based on the result, beane failed this offseason.  I also think that we aren’t as bad as some think we are.  Minus a few boneheaded plays and terrible referee calls we could have 1-2 losses.  Our D is improved.  Our O has regressed—-  mainly because the OL has regressed.  

but they didn’t ignore their weaknesses.  Their plan just failed.

I agree with a lot of what you said, but they did ignore IOL.   There was a lot of angst here when they did nothing but bring back Feliciano… a move a lot of people were against.  

They knew that was an issue… Buckner and Jones terrorized Josh Allen in the Playoffs. 

50 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Coaching has regressed as well. They aren’t 0-5 in one score games because of bad luck…. 

I’d love to play the Titans in round 1 as a WC. 

Correct. More to my point that everything isn’t on Beane.  Players regressed. Coaches regressed.  As a whole, the team just makes stupid mistakes.  Not to mention the terrible referee calls.  Lots have contributed to our record, including Beanes handling of the OL this offseason.  But he didn’t ignore all of our weaknesses…..like you have stated.  Do you still stand by that statement?

6 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I agree with a lot of what you said, but they did ignore IOL.   There was a lot of angst here when they did nothing but bring back Feliciano… a move a lot of people were against.  

They knew that was an issue… Buckner and Jones terrorized Josh Allen in the Playoffs. 

Not sure where I said that they addressed the IOL. On the past I’ve said That they addressed the OL with Brown and Doyle.  They did address the the IOL by bringing back feliciano.  They brought in Lamp, who I had a slight glimmer of hope for.  Hard to say if they envisioned moving Williams back to guard if Brown impressed, but that may be the case.  Poor choices to say the least.  

I wasn’t a fan of what they did with the IOL all offseason and was very vocal about how I thought it would be the downfall of this team.  I had zero hope for feliciano, Ford or Ike. 

my point again, they didn’t just “run it back” with addressing their weaknesses as was stated.  We addressed the pass rush and have had positive results.  It has improved.  The OL was addressed with with 2 draft picks and a long shot FA.  The drafting of brown has helped (somewhat) the OL and the IOL.  Weakness addressed…… but the results show that we didn’t do enough.  As I’ve always maintained 

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Nah. They just didn’t do nearly enough, which is what a lot of us were saying last summer. He just wasn’t nearly as proactive as a team like KC, who’s line got blown up in the SB, even with injuries, and they didn’t settle and immediately looked to upgrade via FA. The Bills line was obliterated in the Championship game(completely healthy) and they sat on their hands…. They are too “draft and develop” and more worried about sustained success and resigning their own with the salary cap than the here and now while being too defense centric…. They didn’t operate like a team with a sense of urgency to get to the SB IMO.

Agreed 💯

So you don’t stand by “they ignored their weaknesses” as you stated,  they just didn’t do enough.  Agreed 

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They did the bare minimum… basically relied on the draft to fix their need…. Like they were scared to go all in.

Like I said, you don’t stand by that statement.  It’s ok to exaggerate, just own it and stop trying to beat around the bush, but that’s probably asking too much

• Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Am I alone thinking Chargers lost this game more than KC won it? If I was the owner of the Chargers I’d be calling the GM and HC into my office and saying “ok I see going for it once on 4th down inside the five but three times? What the hell were you thinking!?”

I can somewhat agree with the thinking to a point. When you face a quick strike offense you get it in your your head all week that you need TDs. FGs won't win again at Mahomes. That was our thought for 20 years facing Brady.

However it some point you just need to pile up points when you get the chance. 2 FGs are almost as good as 1 TD. Can't overthink things.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

It's time tested in the NFL over 75+ years or whatever....you kick the FG and stack points early in close games.  Yes, everyone wants to score a TD but the move was to take a 3-0 lead and then later on take a  13-7 lead or whatever it would have been with 2 easy kicks.  

It was also a mistake not to go for two when the Chargers scored to go up 7.  Kicking the PAT to go up 8 does nothing, as KC could (and did) tie it with their own 2-pointer.  If you get two there you go up by two scores, and if you fail you're still up 7 and KC would have kicked the PAT.

For all of Staley's analytical "wizardry" he was AWFUL last night.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

I can somewhat agree with the thinking to a point. When you face a quick strike offense you get it in your your head all week that you need TDs. FGs won't win again at Mahomes. That was our thought for 20 years facing Brady.

However it some point you just need to pile up points when you get the chance. 2 FGs are almost as good as 1 TD. Can't overthink things.

I hear you. If this was LAST years KC O I would understand, but unless you’re the raiders this years KC struggles to score.. at a minimum they should have taken the 3 just before half to make it a 7 point game.. that was just stupid! 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.