So You Think the Bills Get Screwed.....you may be right T Sun article.....

JMF2006

Interesting article by John Kryk in the Toronto Sun Today with a link...... NFLpenalties.com

Title....Bills receivers can't help but feel they have been hosed 

When the Buffalo Bills’ star wide receiver, Stefon Diggs, was gooned up the left sideline and into the end zone on Sunday by a Tampa Bay Buccaneers defender, no flag was thrown.

For either defensive holding (illegal restraining of a potential pass catcher before the ball is thrown) or defensive pass interference (for the same offence, post-throw).

That was on a crucial 3rd-and-2 play from the Tampa Bay seven-yard line, with 28 seconds left in regulation, and Buffalo trailing 27-24. The pass fell incomplete.

If a flag had been thrown, Buffalo rightly would have been gifted a first down just a few feet from the Bucs goal line. The Bills could have run down most or all of the remaining time in getting as many as four cracks at a game-winning touchdown from the lip of the cup.

As it was, the Bills kicked a field goal on 4th-and-2, then lost 33-27 in OT.

As egregious as that no-call on the Diggs pass play appeared to be, perhaps no one should be surprised, given the scarcity of defensive holding penalties called against Bills opponents this season.

In fact, the only opposing defender in Buffalo’s 13 games to be flagged for defensive holding is Xavien Howard of the Miami Dolphins, once on each occasion the two teams played, in October and November. That’s over 13 games.

One defender. Twice.

Every other defender? Zip. This, according to a review of Buffalo’s infraction-by-infraction data this season, both for and against, as posted at Nflpenalties.com.

An unintended anomaly? Surely, yeah. Because unlike what the conspiracy promoters in every team’s fan base maintains, the league’s officiating crews actually are not out to get them, Bills included. They just screw up a bunch.

That doesn’t make this no-holds-called trend any more digestible, or less concerning, for the Bills and their fans. Or fair. Because the calls aren’t going both ways: Buffalo defenders have been flagged 14 times so far in 2021 for this particular infraction, including three times just in the

Bills’ crushing overtime loss at Tampa. Two other times the Bills defence vs. the Bucs was flagged for pass interference.

That the Bills were penalized more times for defensive holding against Tom Brady and crew (three) than all opponents in 13 games have against the Bills (two), seems unlikely to reflect on-field reality, in any light. Even if it’s likely just a random, unfortunate occurrence.

At least DPI flags have been dished about equally in Bills games: Eight thrown against Buffalo, nine against Buffalo foes.

That said, the last time an opposing Bills defender was flagged for DPI was in New Orleans on U.S. Thanksgiving Day, nine quarters — and a whole lot of Western New York heartache — ago.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Angry 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

Interesting article by John Kryk in the Toronto Sun Today with a link...... NFLpenalties.com

When the Buffalo Bills’ star wide receiver, Stefon Diggs, was gooned up the left sideline and into the end zone on Sunday by a Tampa Bay Buccaneers defender, no flag was thrown.

For either defensive holding (illegal restraining of a potential pass catcher before the ball is thrown) or defensive pass interference (for the same offence, post-throw).

That was on a crucial 3rd-and-2 play from the Tampa Bay seven-yard line, with 28 seconds left in regulation, and Buffalo trailing 27-24. The pass fell incomplete.

If a flag had been thrown, Buffalo rightly would have been gifted a first down just a few feet from the Bucs goal line. The Bills could have run down most or all of the remaining time in getting as many as four cracks at a game-winning touchdown from the lip of the cup.

As egregious as that no-call on the Diggs pass play appeared to be, perhaps no one should be surprised, given the scarcity of defensive holding penalties called against Bills opponents this season.

In fact, the only opposing defender in Buffalo’s 13 games to be flagged for defensive holding is Xavien Howard of the Miami Dolphins, once on each occasion the two teams played, in October and November. That’s over 13 games.

One defender. Twice.

Every other defender? Zip. This, according to a review of Buffalo’s infraction-by-infraction data this season, both for and against, as posted at Nflpenalties.com.

An unintended anomaly? Surely, yeah. Because unlike what the conspiracy promoters in every team’s fan base maintains, the league’s officiating crews actually are not out to get them, Bills included. They just screw up a bunch.

That doesn’t make this no-holds-called trend any more digestible, or less concerning, for the Bills and their fans. Or fair. Because the calls aren’t going both ways: Buffalo defenders have been flagged 14 times so far in 2021 for this particular infraction, including three times just in the

Bills’ crushing overtime loss at Tampa. Two other times the Bills defence vs. the Bucs was flagged for pass interference.

That the Bills were penalized more times for defensive holding against Tom Brady and crew (three) than all opponents in 13 games have against the Bills (two), seems unlikely to reflect on-field reality, in any light. Even if it’s likely just a random, unfortunate occurrence.

At least DPI flags have been dished about equally in Bills games: Eight thrown against Buffalo, nine against Buffalo foes.

That said, the last time an opposing Bills defender was flagged for DPI was in New Orleans on U.S. Thanksgiving Day, nine quarters — and a whole lot of Western New York heartache — ago.

Wouldn't happen to have a link, would you?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Dan Darragh said:

My computer has this thing called SEARCH.  You should get it if you don't have it.

https://torontosun.com/sports/krykslants-just-one-opposing-defender-all-season-has-been-flagged-for-defensive-holding-vs-the-bills

I did search. Only thing that came up was a link to Toronto sun that didn't have the article anywhere. Usually when articles are posted and they say they have a link they actually have a link. But thanks for the link and screw you for the snark. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 7

11 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I did search. Only thing that came up was a link to Toronto sun that didn't have the article anywhere. Usually when articles are posted and they say they have a link they actually have a link. But thanks for the link and screw you for the snark. 

The T Sun has a paywall so I copied and pasted the complete article.

The link I referred to was the nflpenalties.com link

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

But thanks for the link and screw you for the snark. 

Me? Snark?😮

4 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

The T Sun has a paywall so I copied and pasted the complete article.

I was able to access it for free.  I don't even own any Canadian money.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 2

Confirms what we all have seen.

I wonder, is a part of this that collectively, the Bills WRs are not fast and are not that big, and thus make it easy for DBs to stay with them? Would more size and speed make this different. By the way, Sanders is "Exhibit A" for, not fast or big. And besides the fact that he is just better than Sanders at this point in their respective careers, this is another reason Davis should be getting more reps over Sanders. He is bigger, tougher, and faster. Why is he not WR#2?

Back to my point: being average in speed and on the small side, contributes to the lack of penalties against you.

Makes me think the sport we follow so closely with our favorite team is rigged and predetermined. Bums me out. 

Recently i’ve had two non-Bills fans tell me that McDermott seems like a whiner so maybe the refs are just out to screw him over.

Great find, and something I was searching for (or similar) relating to penalties and differentials.

www.NFLpenalties.com is great and some interesting stats as it shows offsetting too.

Yep the Bills were screwed.

But water under the bridge and on to the next game.  It will be NE in two weeks where eyes will be on the officials.

Edited by Billsfan1972

25 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Makes me think the sport we follow so closely with our favorite team is rigged and predetermined. Bums me out. 

Recently i’ve had two non-Bills fans tell me that McDermott seems like a whiner so maybe the refs are just out to screw him over.

And no other coach talks to the refs or asks for an explanation.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, zow2 said:

If I'm McDermott I would have blown my cool by this point.  I'd be doing more than whining.  I'd be up there at the Monday press conference reviewing game tape of all the interference, holding, jersey grabbing, tackling, and obstruction fouls the official obviously missed or intentionally let go that were committed by the Tampa defense during the game one-by-one for the press in attendance and the national media watching the event.  And asking a simple question for each one.  Does what you see constitute an infraction based on the rules?  How could the official have missed some specifically flagrant fouls when he's positioned about 5 feet away from the players?  And call out the league office and force them to come up with one of their standard contorted versions of reality to explain the non-calls. 

From the perspective of a fan that commits some of my income and a 4 hour window of free time on a weekly basis to watch a team be consistently victimized by bias from the officials I've had enough and if they don't address it I have to question what's the point in me wasting my time and money on a bogus and flawed product called the NFL?  Others might feel the same way I expect. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, billsfan714 said:

Those  really are some damning facts.   2 defensive holding calls in 13 games....and the Bills pass a ton.   

And have elusive receivers.....  Or are the Bills too handsy......  From the website...  

https://www.nflpenalties.com/penalty/defensive-holding?year=2021

https://www.nflpenalties.com/penalty/defensive-pass-interference?year=2021

Interesting the second most penalized DPI team in the league didn't commit a single penalty when Buffalo threw 54 times...... 😡

• Like (+1) 3
  • Angry 5

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

Maybe he's a whiner because of blatant inequities in the way the game is called. Chicken, egg? There's enough anomalous stats here to feed paranoia, possibly not delusional.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Why are our receivers not showing any disgust with the no calls in the game after they happen?

I would think if anyone, if this is such a trend they would be more frustrated than the fans but they act like it's no big deal.

So either it's no big deal or our players don't care they are getting hosed.... Either way it's not good.

2 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

But thanks for the link and screw you for the snark. ,

Snark is a WNY favorite. It's not mean-spirited or meant to defame. It is simply a WNY'ers sense of humor and a Buffalonian tradition dating back to 1971 when Dennis Shaw was referred to as "Meathead."  Since then Buffalonians and TBD'ers have taken pride in sarcastically denouncing anything we consider "meatheadish" 

• Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And have elusive receivers.....  Or are the Bills too handsy......  From the website...  

https://www.nflpenalties.com/penalty/defensive-holding?year=2021

https://www.nflpenalties.com/penalty/defensive-pass-interference?year=2021

Interesting the second most penalized DPI team in the league didn't commit a single penalty when Buffalo threw 54 times...... 😡

502 pass attempts in 13 games for the season.  So 2 holdings in 502 pass attempts.  No defensive holding in 99.6% of pass attempts. 

Even worse, take into account a significant number of 4 and 5 receiver sets and the opportunities to hold multiply out to 2,000+ receiver/defender engagements.  In accounting for coverage opportunities in reality it might be 2 in 2,000+.  Which is even more unbelievable.  Looking at it that way 99.9% of receivers out in the pattern were not held at any time by the defender.  Sounds impossible.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

4 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

One defender. Twice.

What absolute garbage.  Can you get over this and move on .  When I saw the play, my first reaction was offensive pass interference on Diggs.  In watching several shows yesterday, other analysts sided on both sides.  It was obvious that the ref could have thrown a flag on the Bills for Offensive pass interference.  In the worst case scenario you could say.........both sides involved in hands on the other and leave it at that.

Could we forget looking for someone to support these ridiculous assessments and just move the hell on?

• Disagree 3
  • Dislike 1

That is a very interesting website, nflpenalties.com.  If you just look at overall penalties and yardage, Tampa actually has a worse net penalty and yardage ratio than Buffalo.

But as I have been saying for years, it isn't the number of penalties or yards that matter:  it's when they are called.  And, of course, when they are not called.  I would be willing to bet a lot of money that the majority of flags we've benefited from have been thrown in our blowout wins - in other words, when we didn't need any help from the stripes to begin with.

It's incredibly easy for the refs to "balance" things out in those situations.

1 minute ago, OP Blue said:

What absolute garbage.  Can you get over this and move on .  When I saw the play, my first reaction was offensive pass interference on Diggs.  In watching several shows yesterday, other analysts sided on both sides.  It was obvious that the ref could have thrown a flag on the Bills for Offensive pass interference.  In the worst case scenario you could say.........both sides involved in hands on the other and leave it at that.

Could we forget looking for someone to support these ridiculous assessments and just move the hell on?

Always Sunny Troll GIF

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, OP Blue said:

The numbers don't lie and to top it off the Bills get 3 holds and 2 DPI's in that game and clearly Evans initiated contact on Wallace on the last one.

The easy solution is for you to not join the conversation if you don't like it.

I presented new evidence with facts from a third party not Kryk but the nflpenalties.com site 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, JMF2006 said:

The numbers don't lie and to top it off the Bills get 3 holds and 2 DPI's in that game and clearly Evans initiated contact on Wallace on the last one.

The easy solution is for you to not join the conversation if you don't like it.

I presented new evidence with facts from a third party not Kryk but the nflpenalties.com site 

New evidence?  This is now a court case?  Cool the jets.  I ignore a lot of stupid conversations, but this one is simply to easy to pick apart.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, OP Blue said:

It’s nonsense.  Diggs didn’t fully extend his arm.  That’s been the bench mark for a push off for the last 10 years.  Someone initiates contact on every play. Extending the arms is the problem.  Mike Evans initiated the contact on Levi…..but somehow we get a flag?  How is this not a problem to you?  You actually think they made the right calls?

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, NewEra said:

It’s nonsense.  Diggs didn’t fully extend his arm.  That’s been the bench mark for a push off for the last 10 years.  Someone initiates contact on every play. Extending the arms is the problem.  Mike Evans initiated the contact on Levi…..but somehow we get a flag?  How is this not a problem to you?  You actually think they made the right calls?

He pulled his head and neck down yet some how the flags on Levi.

Total BS

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, OP Blue said:

New evidence?  This is now a court case?  Cool the jets.  I ignore a lot of stupid conversations, but this one is simply to easy to pick apart.

I have a feeling you’ll be gone before you lose your appropriate purple color scheme. 

Just now, JMF2006 said:

He pulled his head and neck down yet some how the flags on Levi.

Total BS

But I just read that when the WR initiates contact, it’s not a DPI.  I even watched in on several shows yesterday 

22 minutes ago, OP Blue said:

Nothing close to OPI.  Talking heads saying so were just playing the game.

How about the tug on the jersey, that's clear as day?

How about the one in OT where again Diggs was interfered with or the tugging of his jersey on the the Bomb he then lost track of?  

Tampa never interfered or held the whole game?

Edited by Billsfan1972

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I have a feeling you’ll be gone before you lose your appropriate purple color scheme. 

But I just read that when the WR initiates contact, it’s not a DPI.  I even watched in on several shows yesterday 

It would be an OPI then.

Your talking about Diggs not Evans

Both cost us the game as Evans was 3rd down

Edited by JMF2006

Just now, JMF2006 said:

It would be an OPI then.

Looked like a no call to me.  But certainly not DPI as the ball was purposely thrown behind the route.  

let hope the rules commission addresses this horse crap in the off season.  I can’t stand this penalty.  Levi had a blanket on evans, little chance of a completion….better chance of drawing a DPI if cb has his back to the QB

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Looked like a no call to me.  But certainly not DPI as the ball was purposely thrown behind the route.  

let hope the rules commission addresses this horse crap in the off season.  I can’t stand this penalty.  Levi had a blanket on evans, little chance of a completion….better chance of drawing a DPI if cb has his back to the QB

Quit always thinking that balls are underthrown on purpose.  Brady's arm was never strong.  It's just as likely it was underthrown.  Should have been OPI....

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Quit always thinking that balls are underthrown on purpose.  Brady's arm was never strong.  It's just as likely it was underthrown.  Should have been OPI....

I’m good, thanks for the advice though.

sure, there’s a chance it was just under thrown…..and like you said, it’s just as likely that he was looking for a flag.  Levi had perfect coverage with his back to the qb.  He does it often.  It contributed to the Steelers loss.  

it’s not hard to manipulate defenders and Brady is a savvy as they come

3 hours ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

If I'm McDermott I would have blown my cool by this point.  I'd be doing more than whining.  I'd be up there at the Monday press conference reviewing game tape of all the interference, holding, jersey grabbing, tackling, and obstruction fouls the official obviously missed or intentionally let go that were committed by the Tampa defense during the game one-by-one for the press in attendance and the national media watching the event.  And asking a simple question for each one.  Does what you see constitute an infraction based on the rules?  How could the official have missed some specifically flagrant fouls when he's positioned about 5 feet away from the players?  And call out the league office and force them to come up with one of their standard contorted versions of reality to explain the non-calls. 

From the perspective of a fan that commits some of my income and a 4 hour window of free time on a weekly basis to watch a team be consistently victimized by bias from the officials I've had enough and if they don't address it I have to question what's the point in me wasting my time and money on a bogus and flawed product called the NFL?  Others might feel the same way I expect. 

NO SHITE!

And why hasn’t he? 

I’m not a conspiracy believer, but I am a 100% believer in the theory that star teams and star players almost ALWAYS get that call!

If Brady is throwing to Gronk there, he gets that call 1000% of the time! By now, Bills fans have seen 2 decades of the Cheatriots getting late DPI calls, Holding calls and ball spots that aren’t within 3/4 of a yard!

THE BILLS DON’T GET THESE EVER WHEN PLAYING THEM! 

For McClapper to simply sit on his hands after that screw job on Sunday, is now an indictment of him! 

GO BALLISTIC! Take the fine and put the officials on the spot for the future!

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’m good, thanks for the advice though.

sure, there’s a chance it was just under thrown…..and like you said, it’s just as likely that he was looking for a flag.  Levi had perfect coverage with his back to the qb.  He does it often.  It contributed to the Steelers loss.  

it’s not hard to manipulate defenders and Brady is a savvy as they come

It's the Brady factor and of course too Romo calling the game and saying it.  Brady bounced a # of balls Sunday, along with throwing a laser to Evans for the TD.

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

It's the Brady factor and of course too Romo calling the game and saying it.  Brady bounced a # of balls Sunday, along with throwing a laser to Evans for the TD.

Along with throwing a perfect 40 yard lob to evans along the sideline on 3rd down with a man in his face. 

sure, there’s a chance it was under thrown. Perhaps I give him too much credit.  Perhaps he did it on purpose.  This message board has been talking about this type of penalty all season.  It’s a thing.  Maybe because we made it a thing, but if the couch guys see it, I can’t see how this would slip by the GOAT.  He’s always looking for an advantage.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Nothing close to OPI.  Talking heads saying so were just playing the game.

How about the tug on the jersey, that's clear as day?

How about the one in OT where again Diggs was interfered with or the tugging of his jersey on the the Bomb he then lost track of?  

Tampa never interfered or held the whole game?

I didnt say that.  I was referring to one specific play that has everyone convinced of a conspiracy.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.