A Little Perspective: Why we shouldn't be down on the McBeane Regime

folz

I'm not asking for the hook, but I don't apologize for being harsh on either of them right now. Imagine if you were underperforming at work and you told your boss either of the following:

"I have been really good in the past"

"Remember how bad it was before I got here"

I don't see either being a viable excuse. It's both of their jobs to be good and we should hold them to that standard as we have when they have been good (I don't think fans have been short to praise either).

Lets see how we finish this year and then lets see what we do in the offseason. Nobody with a sane mind is calling for them to be fired.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don't believe this regime will ever lead the Bills to a SB, last year was a fluke and as close as they'll ever get when we look back in a few years.

But the idea that they would have to have multiple losing seasons before change is even considered is silly. They aren't messiahs, they were simply in the right place at the right time after parity finally ran it's course after 17 long miserable years. And after signing a QB to record deal it's not about making the playoffs anymore, it's about getting to SB's and winning them now and both Beane/McDermott know this as do the Pegulas.

So if this season does end without the playoffs or another one and done playoff appearance no matter what fans want to think the reality is the seat officially becomes hot for this regime entering the 2022 season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 1

By your assertion we were "4-5 plays" away from 11-1. Two ssues with that line of thought.

1. Every time we have needed "a play" we fail to convert.

2. The games we needed "a play" should never have come down to needing 1 magic play at the end.

That's what happens to bad teams...not yeams the played in the AFC Championship Game. Since that game the Bills made almost zero improvements. They have stayed predictable. Since beating KC this is a 3-4 football team. Sub .500.

We haven't converted plays simply because we do not have players talented enough to complete the task. Sanders started strong...looks his age now. Beasley has battled injury and is very inconsistant this year. Other than Allen and Diggs on offense there is not 1 players that can be counted on week in and week out. Other than Allen and Diggs we have no gamebreaking talent on offense. Knox flashed well but since the hand injury has reverted back to Drop some. He's also a guy that disappears between the 20s. Gabe Davis is a playmaker but plays limited snaps. The line is atrocious on their best day. Bobby Hart and Forrest Lamp weren't the answer. Who would have thought. Can't run the ball, have difficulties scoring in the red zone and seem to commit penalties every chance they get.

The defense plays hard but again has no big play guys. Milano has been average since his injury. We have no one that's can get too the QB. Miss me with the "pressures are just as good as sacks" line of thought. You need BOTH. We have invested many high draft picks and 10s of millions of dollars this position group...only to rotate them through every possession and got low snaps for each big investment.  Just a dumb philosophy IMO. Let your best players PLAY.

This team and the personal have taken a large step back. We have gone from expectations of a deep playoff run to using the ESPN Playoff Calculator to try and see ways we will MAKE the playoffs. Every single decision personal wise they have made since the close of last season has backfired with the possible exception of Groot...but he needs to take a bit step forward next year.

No, I'm not saying to fire everyone (Bobby Johnson and Daboll leaving wouldn't make me cry though). However a 1 and done this post season would make me preheat that hot seat headed into next year. And unless steps forward are taken in 2022...let the search begin.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

That challenge was fine. A change in possession there would have swung the game and gave the d who was getting steamrolled a breather. I think he might have been right but there was no camera angle to help.

That challenge had zero chance to get an overturn.  A play like that is never overturned and everyone knows it.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

At 7-5 now yeah the team hasn't met my expectations when the year started and pretty much most fans.  The one thing positive I would say is this:

it seems the skill/talent/ whatever you want to call it level between the Bills and the cream of the crop of the AFC is less this year.  Meaning the Chiefs beat the Bills in regular season last year and pretty handily in the AFC Championship.  

Looks like New England and Tennessee are the top dogs in the East this year.  Both Bills games between the two were very close.  

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

That challenge was fine. A change in possession there would have swung the game and gave the d who was getting steamrolled a breather. I think he might have been right but there was no camera angle to help.

The challenge was dumb. It's not about being right, it's what you can prove.

McDermott has his flaws but he's a good coach.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ross Murdock said:

The Detroit lions are also 7-8 plays from being 11-1. So are most bad teams. This seasons has exposed that last years odd Covid season with it's empty stadiums, and many players taking the year off was an anomaly. Josh was able to capitalize on playing in stadiums where you could here the traffic from the nearby highways. This team just isn't very good. The Bills schedule was a laughingstock chock full of pitiful teams, playing 2nd & 3rd string QB's. As soon as the JV schedule was over the Bills have sunk to a wild card slot that didn't even exist 2 years ago. A major retooling is required, and the Bills are in salary cap hell. The pathetic and dishonorable lineman Lotulelei shows nothing but contempt for the team and it's fans. This has become the most disappointing team in Bills history. If they back into the playoffs by beating the lowly Jets and Falcons, I guess it would be appropriate.    

They aren’t in cap hell they can cut and restructure and literally have 50 million in cap space if they wanted 

27 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

At 7-5 now yeah the team hasn't met my expectations when the year started and pretty much most fans.  The one thing positive I would say is this:

it seems the skill/talent/ whatever you want to call it level between the Bills and the cream of the crop of the AFC is less this year.  Meaning the Chiefs beat the Bills in regular season last year and pretty handily in the AFC Championship.  

Looks like New England and Tennessee are the top dogs in the East this year.  Both Bills games between the two were very close.  

You mean the Tennessee team that lost at home to the Texans? 

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

I don't believe this regime will ever lead the Bills to a SB, last year was a fluke and as close as they'll ever get when we look back in a few years.

But the idea that they would have to have multiple losing seasons before change is even considered is silly. They aren't messiahs, they were simply in the right place at the right time after parity finally ran it's course after 17 long miserable years. And after signing a QB to record deal it's not about making the playoffs anymore, it's about getting to SB's and winning them now and both Beane/McDermott know this as do the Pegulas.

So if this season does end without the playoffs or another one and done playoff appearance no matter what fans want to think the reality is the seat officially becomes hot for this regime entering the 2022 season.

How many coaches and GMs win all the time? Never have losing seasons? 

There is one thing that makes you a contender, the quarterback. Right now we're always going to be contenders because Josh Allen produces as a top 10 QB. What we need to do is get him more help upfront. Probably another weapon that isn't aging. Beane and McDermott have work to do this offseason but the fire them talk is way too early. 

11 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

You mean the Tennessee team that lost at home to the Texans? 

They still have my respect for the time as being as a top team even if not for long.  Bills beat the Chiefs on their turf as well.  

My point being despite the year being frustrating I don't think the Bills are that far from being #1 in the East 

3 hours ago, GLP said:

BB turned a 7-9 team into a division winner and a SB favorite in one offseason. McBeane can't compete with that. They're not that good. The last 3 drafts their top picks were all D linemen. To the detriment of other positions like OL and RB. McBeane can't tie BB shoes.  

And for him to get that team to 7-9 was impressive. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm probably sounding like a broken record now but the only guy I'm really down on in the whole organization is Daboll.  I've only been down on him this season too, he did an arguably excellent job in 2020 and a good enough job in 2019.  This year he's all over the place, and I feel like the strength of roster is really masking how poor a lot of the playcalls are.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, GLP said:

BB turned a 7-9 team into a division winner and a SB favorite in one offseason.

I know this is click bait but I don’t care… I’m in. 

DIVISION WINNER? 
since when do they crown division winners with 5 weeks left in the season? 

SB Favorite??

stop it. Just stop it. 

no doubt BB is a masterful, all-time great coach. Probably the greatest ever. But let’s not start adding hardware to his trophy case just yet. JA17 and the boys still might have something to say about all that. 

• Like (+1) 1

to answer the OP question why we shouldnt be down on the McBeane regime is this:

it comes off as whiny wanting gratification or throw it against the wall and break it in frustration type thinking  thats how it reads to me.

waaaay premature we arent even finished this season yet fcol

past behavior does indicate future behavior so if you're down on McDermott so be it there are reasons to not be 1000% thrilled with the guy. Fair

Same for Beane as always retrospective vision is 20-20 perfect...or not

which is why boards like this exist I guess

m

Edited by Muppy

8 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

The challenge was dumb as *****… again, anybody with a brain who watches football knows that call is not being overturned… for ***** sake you couldn’t even see where the ball was.

I actually think it was a good call and coach new it wasn't getting overturned. Defense needed a break. 30 second timeout or what a 2+ minute replay review? I'll take the extra long timeout. Why leave the flag in your pocket?

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

The challenge was dumb as *****… again, anybody with a brain who watches football knows that call is not being overturned… for ***** sake you couldn’t even see where the ball was.

Forget the ball, you could barely even see Jones in that wall of humanity. Not one of McD's finest moments

14 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

They fell into the right situation?  I think you can give them a little more credit.  With your reasoning 31 coaches should be fired every season.  It's an absurd take.  Completely opposite of how you build a successful franchise. 

• Agree 1

Just now, nedboy7 said:

They fell into the right situation?  I think you can give them a little more credit.  With your reasoning 31 coaches should be fired every season.  It's an absurd take.  Completely opposite of how you build a successful franchise. 

Fella is here to provide the absurd take POV.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

It wasn’t horrible last year…. They were a pretty solid pass blocking group that had its occasional ups and downs and certain players were exposed like Feliciano, and Ford. They couldn’t run block for ***** last year so I’m not sure why they thought bringing back the same group would fix those woes and now they’ve regressed in pass blocking as well. 

On stunts and blitzes they were horrible, this year they are horrible overall

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.