Beane needs to spend serious resources on the OL

Big Turk

2 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

You trust Beane to use the resources to find the right players?

What players along either line has he hit on?

Morse, Oliver, Rousseau, Brown and Zimmer to name a few. 

No, they haven't put together a great unit, but the lines got us to the championship game last year. 

Yeah, they need improvement. But you'd be crazy not to trust Beane.

7 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I don't care if the first 3 picks in the draft are OL. Spends in FA to get a premium OL player or two...whatever. We simply CANNOT afford to keep playing this way on offense. 

No run game...Allen running for his life most plays...this offense is too good to allow poor blocking to kill it the way it is.

Forget the defense for a minute. Yeah that's important and some more  quality CBs are important...but OLine has a far better return on investment for this team...would allow them to basically be unstoppable on offense...

Beane...you need to fix this once and for all this off-season. Not by signing below average players to contracts to keep things together. They aren't good enough. Bring in better talent.

didn’t we already do this a little with Morse (high paid free agent center), Ford (2nd round pick), and Brown (3rd round pick)? 

7 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Our interior O Line is a joke, the one good player we have is Morse who is ancient, expensive and an injury risk.  I think Spencer Long will be a stud and give Dawkins a pass this year assuming his drop off is Covid related.

Spencer Long retired from football prior to the 2020 season.

9 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

didn’t we already do this a little with Morse (high paid free agent center), Ford (2nd round pick), and Brown (3rd round pick)? 

We did, and it improved our OL from sub-par to "serviceable".  But Ford seems to be a bust, and we need an upgrade.

I will be posting opposite of what I said at the time of the draft. I was beating the drum for Najee Harris.  Then I thought Ford was the answer at LG. But I've come to my senses. They need to get younger and better on the o-line. Brown looks like he can play. It is time to end Dawkins at LT. Move him to LG and draft an elite OT in the first round. Then sign a top 3 OG in free agency. Morse is ok for another year. Keep Williams as a guy who can play G or OT. He will be expensive but is insurance at multiple spots.

2 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Ford is a bust so that didn't pan out. I am talking about taking the best player in the draft at their position in the first round 

19 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Ford is a bust so that didn't pan out. I am talking about taking the best player in the draft at their position in the first round 

i am not disagreeing that our current interior oline isn’t great. But will investing high draft picks really help? 

look at the patriots. They have undrafted and late round picks at their three interior oline spots and their backup guard (Owenu— who is better than anyone we have). 

i think the problem is oline philosophy and evaluation. We try to get quicker athletic guys, not road graders. Maybe we need to change the type of interior olineman we are looking for. 

10 hours ago, BTB said:

Beane has made a huge investment (picks and cap space) on the DL, and the results are mixed at best.

Not sure I have any confidence in him to fix the OL woes. 

Beane might be only as good as his scouts are. I know he signs off on the picks but maybe our scouts are failing to find any decent trench players? His scouts this spring do not have the luxury to screw this up.

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Sad but probably true.  Hopefully Brown changes that and Dawkins can get back to his pre covid level of play.

Morse is going to be a tough call in the off-season.  He has 1 year left on his deal.  I think it’s either going to be Morse or Williams that get cut

3 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Morse is going to be a tough call in the off-season.  He has 1 year left on his deal.  I think it’s either going to be Morse or Williams that get cut

We need depth and I wouldn’t mind keeping Morse and Williams. We will need them even with a heavy o-line investment in the draft this year. Still need experience. I’d rather save money by cutting Addison and some others. We need all the o-line help we can get. 

10 hours ago, Steptide said:

Our d line really isn't as bad as everyone says. As far as o line, I'm starting to wonder if it's coaching to an extent. We have young players on the o line who should be solid. I think one issue, and this falls on coaching, is the constant o line shuffling over the last few years. I don't think this helped in the long run. Having said that, the bills do need to upgrade it in next years draft or via free agency 

The Bills made a decision in to work on pass protection linemen and that resulted in some players like Quittin' Spain being less effective.

That decision should have been made before they signed him to an extension and released him for being quitter and whining.

Mitch Morse was a good decision regardless.  The Bills needed a center to lead that line and they got one.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.