Beane needs to spend serious resources on the OL

Big Turk

22 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Don't forget Trey Smith who was a dominating player at Tennessee. We drafted Wildgoose, who's no longer on team, and Stevenson. Don't know why Smith slid so far, but that's where the scouting department earn their paychecks

Smith takes a medication for blood clots. I'm not clear on the exact nature of his condition, but it was thought the nature of the medication he takes might preclude being able to play professional football. Evidently, those concerns were overwrought.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Billl said:

What do you think Edmunds and Oliver will get in their next deals?

Anytime you re-sign a player drafted toward the top-to-middle of the first round, a team is likely looking at giving them Top 5 money for their position.  That’s why there’s been some hesitance over Edmunds.  Yes he’s been good to great at times, but is he consistent enough to earn that kind of money?  I’m guessing the Bills think he is.  

They have a bit of time on Oliver.  I’m certain they will pick up year 5.  But they may have a similar dilemma next year with him as well

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

Smith takes a medication for blood clots. I'm not clear on the exact nature of his condition, but it was thought the nature of the medication he takes might preclude being able to play professional football. Evidently, those concerns were overwrought.

It’s probably too early to say for sure if that’s the case, but so far he hasn’t had any issues for a few years.  He was looked at as a late first to mid second round prospect otherwise.  Honestly, I think every team just took him off their draft boards, Kansas City included.  By the time the end of the sixth round came, I think the Chiefs somehow noticed that he hadn’t been taken by anyone.  It makes sense that everyone just assumed that SOMEONE would take him in maybe the third or fourth, so that’s the only explanation I can think of for how a top 3 Guard was still sitting there to be taken at 226.

Honestly, there are a lot of GMs who should be getting dragged for letting him fall that far.  You just can’t let a guy with that much ability fall that far.  Hell, Buffalo had 3 6th round picks and took 2 guys who can barely get on the field for special teams snaps and one who was cut over a guy who was so good that he pretty much took over the starting job day 1 of training camp.  I know the near unanimous reaction on the Chiefs board when he was picked was disbelief that he was still available.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Anytime you re-sign a player drafted toward the top-to-middle of the first round, a team is likely looking at giving them Top 5 money for their position.  That’s why there’s been some hesitance over Edmunds.  Yes he’s been good to great at times, but is he consistent enough to earn that kind of money?  I’m guessing the Bills think he is.  

They have a bit of time on Oliver.  I’m certain they will pick up year 5.  But they may have a similar dilemma next year with him as well

Oliver is interesting.  If he had been taken in the 4th round, I think he would be viewed as slightly better than JAG.  I’m really curious to see what he ends up signing for.  I wonder if Beane will have the stones to let him walk if he demands top of the market.  He took Edmunds and Oliver in the top half of the first in consecutive years, and not giving either of them a second contract would be a tough pill to swallow.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.