McDermott Era Should End!

Wizard

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree the kick was low percentage but the sack is relevant. If it doesn't happen, Bass scores IMO. Obviously it came before but I see why it made them leary of calling another pass. Both of those last two drives were killer by pure execution errors. A needless, bad sack. Then a needless, idiotic false start. 

You can question decisions and you can question play calls. But the harsh, true reality is the players have to own that. They blew that game. A game where their coaches did a nice job putting them in position if they could just do the basics of football. 

I agree that the game was ultimately lost on execution.  Absolutely.  I still want my coach playing to win football.  Not playing to keep pace.

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

I agree that the game was ultimately lost on execution.  Absolutely.  I still want my coach playing to win football.  Not playing to keep pace.

I get it, but I felt at the time like they should try and kick it. I felt it gave them the best chance to win and still do.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

You say that like it's a bad thing.  Poor staff should be removed from the organization.  If you're saying that Daboll is somehow going to be a scapegoat and the problem lies actually with McD then I just don't see the evidence there.

The defensive scheme is mostly fine.  We got beat up in the run, sure, but it only resulted in 14 points.  Could they have done more? Yeah, probably.  Did they do enough to put the offense in positions to win the game? Absolutely.

The team absolutely didn't execute, and they should play better, but the calls from Daboll are so bad.  We wasted so many downs trying to establish a run with uninspired, boring, runs up the middle that haven't worked a thousand times over this season.  That's on Daboll.

Daboll is doing what he’s told. it isn’t working because our personnel sucks. Do you think that Daboll doesn’t know that we don’t have the players to run the ball? Of course he does.

Beane handed him a turd sandwich and he’s doing all he can with it.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Governor said:

Daboll is doing what he’s told. it isn’t working because our personnel sucks. Do you think that Daboll doesn’t know that we don’t have the players to run the ball? Of course he does.

Beane handed him a turd sandwich and he’s doing all he can with it.

I disagree with a lot of what you have said post Monday Night but I believe this is dead on. 

If you got Brian Daboll in a quiet room on his own I suspect he'd say he feels pressure to run more but knows the run game is not good enough. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

47 minutes ago, Governor said:

Do you think that Daboll doesn’t know that we don’t have the players to run the ball? Of course he does.

I'm genuinely not sure about that, I think he really believes in our guys to figure it out.  Why else is he calling Zack Moss runs up the middle when he has no vision? Why the Devin Singletary 2nd and 10 up the gut for the 100th time even though it's worked maybe once this season?

Blame Beane all you want, and he does share some of the blame here for drafting who he drafted, but Daboll calls the plays.  It's up to him to figure out ways to be successful in both the passing and run game, and I don't see him trying different things.  He's failed pretty hard at the run and I'd argue Josh Allen has propped him up in the pas.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I disagree with a lot of what you have said post Monday Night but I believe this is dead on. 

If you got Brian Daboll in a quiet room on his own I suspect he'd say he feels pressure to run more but knows the run game is not good enough. 

Feels pressure or is being outright told to run the ball at least 1x per set of downs by McD? When you look at when Daboll decides to run the ball it’s almost always 1st or 2nd down or after a big play, like to get it out of the way. It ultimately ends up a wasted down and now the O has 2 plays to get 10 yards vs 3. Whats the most parsimonious explanation for how an OC just forgot how to run an offense that was lit last year and has much the same personnel? 

3 hours ago, Jerry Jabber said:

How quickly people forget about the 17 year playoff drought where the Bills went 6/10-7/9 almost every year. The Bills average win loss record for those 17 years was 6/10. 

This is fact but it’s stated in a way that makes you think McD turned a 6-10 team to 10-6 just by coaching. The personnel has changed and improved a lot compared to what Whaley gave them (something like <5 drafted players still on team after a decade). He’s not coaching the same or even the same caliber of players. He has Josh “friggin” Allen, not EJ Manuel or Tyrod Taylor. Josh on those crappy teams buys you 4 more wins alone, with no input from McD. This miraculous turnaround fantasy only makes sense in a vacuum.

2 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Diggs comes down with that pass in the EZ and NE is trying to keep pace with us.  I agree the players blew this one, not the coaches.

2 hours ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

I agree with every word of this take... highlighted by the mention:

” Josh Allen played his College Football in WYOMING!”

This is fantastic. Best analysis i have seen. So right about knox not coming back for the ball.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

This is what I referenced here yesterday (God knows which thread it was in)...they were talking about this sort of thing all afternoon on GR-55.  

Like we get the ball down in the red zone and need to score a TD.  The first play is run into the line for no gain.  Is that play called b/c Daboll thought it was a good idea?  Or because he is being TOLD to call that play?  Perhaps he has been pressured to give the running game more attention...

I just don't think Daboll does that on his own, especially toward the end of the NE game based on how it was going.

Daboll is the gambler of the team and I think he'd call Josh-Keeper-Sweeps or passes into the end zone.

This story line isn't really being discussed that much, but maybe it will gain some traction.

I would hate to find out we are kind of shooting ourselves in the foot...it's hard enough to score in this league as it is.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

This is what I referenced here yesterday (God knows which thread it was in)...they were talking about this sort of thing all afternoon on GR-55.  

Like we get the ball down in the red zone and need to score a TD.  The first play is run into the line for no gain.  Is that play called b/c Daboll thought it was a good idea?  Or because he is being TOLD to call that play?  Perhaps he has been pressured to give the running game more attention...

I just don't think Daboll does that on his own, especially toward the end of the NE game based on how it was going.

Daboll is the gambler of the team and I think he'd call Josh-Keeper-Sweeps or passes into the end zone.

This story line isn't really being discussed that much, but maybe it will gain some traction.

I would hate to find out we are kind of shooting ourselves in the foot...it's hard enough to score in this league as it is.

He has the ideal call on fourth down. Two receivers running crossing routes right over an EMPTY middle of the field. The QB completely missing the throw. That’s not on Daboll. (And I’m not a Daboll fan.)

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

He has the ideal call on fourth down. Two receivers running crossing routes right over an EMPTY middle of the field. The QB completely missing the throw. That’s not on Daboll. (And I’m not a Daboll fan.)

Yeah, I'm talking about the attempt to run the ball all night long, to no avail.

Not a red zone passing play that didn't work.

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Yeah, I'm talking about the attempt to run the ball all night long, to no avail.

Not a red zone passing play that didn't work.

No argument there. Josh makes that throw and the Patriots look like fools for their game plan. But we all know what happened. Josh needs to calm down and finish these games! Plain and simple. It’s what separates the top QBs from the rest. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.