Democracy’s Fiery Ordeal: The War in Ukraine 🇺🇦

Tiberius

40 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Media keeps telling us that Ukraine isn’t asking us to get involved, but they are openly calling for a no fly zone.  

Keep in mind, they absolutely should ask for that.  They are trying to preserve their country and fight off an invading army.  

However, at some point, the media could be honest with us with what they are truly asking for.  

No fly zone = America’s entrance into the war 

I love this. "The media!" is saying something. Ya right 

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Would you like to call this “Russian Propaganda” so I can prove you wrong again?

What media outlet is saying Ukraine doesn't want us to get involved? 

You realize they broadcast Zelensky's appeal for help, right? 

3 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

What media outlet is saying Ukraine doesn't want us to get involved? 

You realize they broadcast Zelensky's appeal for help, right? 

All week, we’ve been told they aren’t asking us to get involved.  Involved, in the sense where we are in direct opposition to Russia.  

I know, you know, that’s what I’m referencing.  

Of course we’re involved in a pseudo-ally role.  

They keep saying this even when multiple leaders in the Ukrainian government have pleaded, over their own airwaves, for a no fly zone.  

A no fly zone becomes America’s entrance into a war with Russia.  

I simply want them to be honest with us because I continue to see people asking for us to implement a no fly zone but without boots on the ground.  ….that’s not possible.  

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

All week, we’ve been told they aren’t asking us to get involved.  Involved, in the sense where we are in direct opposition to Russia.  

I know, you know, that’s what I’m referencing.  

Of course we’re involved in a pseudo-ally role.  

They keep saying this even when multiple leaders in the Ukrainian government have pleaded, over their own airwaves, for a no fly zone.  

A no fly zone becomes America’s entrance into a war with Russia.  

I simply want them to be honest with us because I continue to see people asking for us to implement a no fly zone but without boots on the ground.  ….that’s not possible.  

never once did I hear that 

2 hours ago, John Adams said:

ThE SaNcTiOnS aRe UsElEsS

They all go in and buy with the massive liquidity they likely have war ends stocks go back to true value and BAM!!!  More billions.  This it GameStop all over again. 🙄

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Good to see.   Clearly they are limited in what they can do though, otherwise we would have seen this far earlier and for more often.  

While I am very leery of direct US involvement leading to WW3, I do believe there should be some kind of global treaty in place that allows outside forces to bomb a stalled convoy for being strategically ridiculous.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Good to see.   Clearly they are limited in what they can do though, otherwise we would have seen this far earlier and for more often.  

While I am very leery of direct US involvement leading to WW3, I do believe there should be some kind of global treaty in place that allows outside forces to bomb a stalled convoy for being strategically ridiculous.  

Putin is afraid of covid. Do you think he is suicidal? 

White House press secretary Jen Psaki reiterated Thursday that the United States has no plans to establish and enforce a no-fly zone in Ukraine, even as Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky renewed his calls for the West to take that step to aid in his country’s fight against Russia.

“The reason why that has not been a step the president has been willing to take or we have been interested in taking is because the no-fly zone requires implementation,” Psaki told reporters at a White House briefing. “It would require essentially the U.S. military shooting down Russian planes and … prompting a potential direct war with Russia … the exact step that we want to avoid.”

Earlier Wednesday, Zelensky renewed his plea.

“If you can’t close the sky now, then give a deadline when it will happen,” he said. “If you can’t do it now, tell how many people have to explode, how many arms, legs, heads have to fly to reach you.”

Got em now!  The hold hands and sing Kumbaya moment we'll all have when this is over will be epic!

CCM Hockey to stop using Alex Ovechkin, other Russian NHL stars in global marketing campaigns

CCM Hockey, one of the largest producers of hockey equipment in the world, is planning to stop using Washington Capitals star Alex Ovechkin, as well as other Russian-born NHL players, in any global marketing campaigns, according to TSN's Rick Westhead. CCM chief executive Marrouane Nabih confirmed that the hockey equipment giant made the decision following Russia's invasion of Ukraine earlier in February.

"We are very sad to witness, like the rest of the world, what is happening in Ukraine," CCM chief executive Marrouane Nabih told TSN. "Although Mr. Ovechkin is not responsible for the Russian government's actions, we took the decision to not use him (or any Russian player) on any global CCM communication at this point."

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/ccm-hockey-to-stop-using-alex-ovechkin-other-russian-nhl-stars-in-global-marketing-campaigns/

Wow!  OK cool thanks for clarifying that last part.  I thought OV might have been a spy or something.  

35 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

All I've been hearing for a couple days is that this column is just slowly moving. Was waiting for some kind of strike as likely the russians did have air cover but with how disorganized they seem to be there had to be openings. Surprised we haven't just sat some Ukrainian video game kids in those drone seats and have them just drone strike  the ***** outta those things. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

All I've been hearing for a couple days is that this column is just slowly moving. Was waiting for some kind of strike as likely the russians did have air cover but with how disorganized they seem to be there had to be openings. Surprised we haven't just sat some Ukrainian video game kids in those drone seats and have them just drone strike  the ***** outta those things. 

I think public opinion is moving in that direction 

10 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

I think public opinion is moving in that direction 

I really don't see the difference between other countries sending them planes and anti tank weapons and this.  They have temporary use of 50 of these drones, which fly at 50,000 feet with 8 hellfire missiles. That column would be destroyed in a day. But Russia would be pretty upset with that I'm sure. 

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Doc said:

Heard a report last night they were still flying.  But they need missiles.  

That's my big problem with weak sauce NATO.  They are content on giving them defensive weapons only like anti-air, anti-tank weapons straight out of the Afghanistan 1980 playbook.  

I think the Poles and a couple other countries wanted to send them some fighter jets and NATO stepped in and stopped it because it'd be too "aggressive."  

32 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Got em now!  The hold hands and sing Kumbaya moment we'll all have when this is over will be epic!

CCM Hockey to stop using Alex Ovechkin, other Russian NHL stars in global marketing campaigns

CCM Hockey, one of the largest producers of hockey equipment in the world, is planning to stop using Washington Capitals star Alex Ovechkin, as well as other Russian-born NHL players, in any global marketing campaigns, according to TSN's Rick Westhead. CCM chief executive Marrouane Nabih confirmed that the hockey equipment giant made the decision following Russia's invasion of Ukraine earlier in February.

"We are very sad to witness, like the rest of the world, what is happening in Ukraine," CCM chief executive Marrouane Nabih told TSN. "Although Mr. Ovechkin is not responsible for the Russian government's actions, we took the decision to not use him (or any Russian player) on any global CCM communication at this point."

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/ccm-hockey-to-stop-using-alex-ovechkin-other-russian-nhl-stars-in-global-marketing-campaigns/

Wow!  OK cool thanks for clarifying that last part.  I thought OV might have been a spy or something.  

Russians in 2022 are the new Muslims in 2001

• Like (+1) 1

Also a small but important humanitarian development. People have been discussing this for a few days. 

In a similar vein. 

These last two items indicate to me, however, that Putin is in this for the long haul now. 

8 minutes ago, John Adams said:

Also a small but important humanitarian development. People have been discussing this for a few days. 

In a similar vein. 

These last two items indicate to me, however, that Putin is in this for the long haul now. 

While we disagree on a lot of domestic stuff you are linking to a lot of good info and seem to have a strong understanding of where it is likely going.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, dpberr said:

That's my big problem with weak sauce NATO.  They are content on giving them defensive weapons only like anti-air, anti-tank weapons straight out of the Afghanistan 1980 playbook.  

I think the Poles and a couple other countries wanted to send them some fighter jets and NATO stepped in and stopped it because it'd be too "aggressive."  

I'm not sure what NATO did, but that would make zero sense.

Might as well blow them up on the ramp.

16 minutes ago, John Adams said:

One report and one source but I would call this developing and a big problem for the future of Russia if it bears out. 

The entirety of Russian civilian aviation is gone, regardless of what they agree to return.

No spare parts, no  maintenance, or access to out of country airspace. 

Over 50% of Russian airlines airplanes are leased, and while they might not return them, they cannot operate them.

Among other industries, this one is dead.

14 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

While we disagree on a lot of domestic stuff you are linking to a lot of good info and seem to have a strong understanding of where it is likely going.

I have no idea where it’s going. 

Zero point zero Mr. Blutarsky 

Forecasting is a fool’s game though I sometimes make a guess. 

16 minutes ago, sherpa said:

I'm not sure what NATO did, but that would make zero sense.

Might as well blow them up on the ramp.

The entirety of Russian civilian aviation is gone, regardless of what they agree to return.

No spare parts, no  maintenance, or access to out of country airspace. 

Over 50% of Russian airlines airplanes are leased, and while they might not return them, they cannot operate them.

Among other industries, this one is dead.

The implications reach way beyond air. 

54 minutes ago, LDD said:

What's the debate?

Is America/NATO doing enough? Should we do more?

Do any of Putin’s claims (Donbas, Crimea, Azov Battalion, NATO expansion, Western aggression) have a kernel of truth?  (Albeit - of course - none of that absolves Putin of full scale invasion/death/destruction)

Should Ukraine be/have been in NATO?

Are we being propagandized into a movie version of this war?

6 minutes ago, John Adams said:

The implications reach way beyond air. 

Of course they do.

Russia is being economically isolated in a manner never seen, and the pain to its populace is going to be massive.

I'm simply responding to one element.

1 hour ago, John Adams said:

One report and one source but I would call this developing and a big problem for the future of Russia if it bears out. 

38 minutes ago, John Adams said:

I have no idea where it’s going. 

Zero point zero Mr. Blutarsky 

Forecasting is a fool’s game though I sometimes make a guess. 

So you are fool for stating what you did!

1 hour ago, John Adams said:

In a similar vein. 

Of course he is.  The die has been cast.

18 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

One report and one source but I would call this developing and a big problem for the future of Russia if it bears out. 

So you are fool for stating what you did!

I'd be a fool for believing it. 

There's a reason for the shitposter game. 

Russian oil firm Lukoil calls for end to war in Ukraine. 

“Russia’s largest private oil company Lukoil on Thursday called for an end to the war in Ukraine. The company’s board expressed its concern over the ongoing ‘tragic events’ in Ukraine, according to a statement by Lukoil. The board said it stands for the immediate cessation of the war, adding it supports a solution through diplomatic means.”

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/economy/russian-oil-firm-lukoil-calls-for-end-to-war-in-ukraine/2523185#:~:text=Russia's largest private oil company Lukoil on Thursday,adding it supports a solution through diplomatic means.

• Like (+1) 2