Is McDermott a Wartime Consigliere?

DallasBillsFan1

I hope you enjoy the Godfather reference.

For the record I like Sean McDermott as a head coach, however I am questioning whether he is the right coach moving forward.  He has served the team/organization well getting the team ready for primetime, but now that primetime has arrived, is he the right fit and can he get them over the hump to bring this team to the big dance?  Good teams head into the second half of the season and into the playoffs leaning on their running game.  The Bills have no running game and clearly Singletary and Moss are not the answer.  Those two are not scaring any defenses. McDermott being a Defensive Coordinator can see weaknesses in offenses, right?  He didn't see that these two RB's are average? 

What are your thoughts on McDermott and do you think he can get this team to the SuperBowl?  Josh Allen enters his fifth season next year ... the window is open only for so long.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

I smiled at the reference. And I kind of know what you're saying.

I thought of another movie yesterday after the game, "Bull Durham."  I love the scene where Crash tells the coach to "scare 'em," and he throws all of the bats into the shower and does the whole "lollygag" speech.

That's what the team needed yesterday, and I just don't know if McD is that kind of coach.  I mean, I get that this analysis is really narrowing what a coach needs to be, but sometimes you have to make it clear to a team that certain play can't be tolerated.  We know BB does that, to a micromanaging fault.  

• Like (+1) 1

McDermott is the best coach the Bills have had since Marv Levy. Maybe the team won’t ultimately achieve the ultimate prize this year, but that does not diminish that one bit IMO. This is still a very young team for which the window for championships will remain open for quite some time.

The front office couldn’t accomplish all they wanted to do last offseason due to the low salary cap. That shouldn’t be a factor going forward.

A couple bad losses following a road loss in Tennessee by one foot and now people want to start questioning everything about this team from the GM and HC down. Most everything this team wanted to accomplish is still right in front of them. Some fans need to back away from the cliff!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, DallasBillsFan1 said:

For the record I like Sean McDermott as a head coach, however I am questioning whether he is the right coach moving forward.  He has served the team/organization well getting the team ready for primetime, but now that primetime has arrived, is he the right fit and can he get them over the hump to bring this team to the big dance?  Good teams head into the second half of the season and into the playoffs leaning on their running game.  The Bills have no running game and clearly Singletary and Moss are not the answer.  Those two are not scaring any defenses. McDermott being a Defensive Coordinator can see weaknesses in offenses, right?  He didn't see that these two RB's are average? 

What are your thoughts on McDermott and do you think he can get this team to the SuperBowl?  Josh Allen enters his fifth season next year ... the window is open only for so long.

I have used the wartime consigliere reference like 3 times this past week alone about work stuff!! 

I also always seem to use the Pentangali brother scenario as a reference quite a bit. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I have been saying for a couple seasons now, McDermott is a good solid leader, but I don’t think he really has what it takes to be a great coach in the NFL.  Personally, I think he’s worried about being liked too much, should’ve fired Frazier, when he had to take over calling the plays during the game. It’s obvious he’s not happy with the O right now, yet nothing is changing, at the end of the day, it’s all on him. So do we believe that he is going to change, or is Time to see somebody that can actually put it all together? I know Sean McVay’s do not grow on trees, but that’s the type of personality we need here.  Unfortunately, I would believe that he is safe, but I don’t believe that he should be.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, DallasBillsFan1 said:

I heard Sean’s comment about McKenzie’s fumble.  He’s not the guy for this team.  That’s just my opinion.  He’s got a cavalier attitude about winning and his quotations book is wearing out from all the press conf cliches.  He should have them all memorized by now so he probably doesn’t have to buy a new edition anyway.

2 minutes ago, KeLLy1278 said:

I heard Sean’s comment about McKenzie’s fumble.  He’s not the guy for this team.  That’s just my opinion.  He’s got a cavalier attitude about winning and his quotations book is wearing out from all the press conf cliches.  He should have them all memorized by now so he probably doesn’t have to buy a new edition anyway.

Are you really dissecting coach speak again? If you base your qualifications for the head coaching position on post-game pressers then you deserve Rex Ryan.

• Like (+1) 2

He's never been here before, neither has Daboll. They need to progress, adjust and adapt just like the players. It's not like we have a Belichick, Walsh Parcells type who's been  through it before. Even somebody like John  Harbaugh has progressed through it. He either will or he won't. But, he needs to realize they have a problem and adjust- so far it hasn't happened. I think they have a game plan and don't adjust. Something to be said for sticking to your guns. But, part of being a great coach is knowing when it's time to adapt.

48 minutes ago, DallasBillsFan1 said:

We have a great QB.  Tremendously talented and competitive.  We have a great WR #14.  We have a potentially good #2 receiver.  He is #13.  We have a very good secondary.  Our TE #88 has gotten a lot better.  Our young RT looks to be potentially a stud.  And #58 at LB is a keeper, and plays like a stud at times.  Oh and our kicker is usually really really good also.  But the rest of the team especially on both lines and at RB is eminently replaceable.  I think with better big guys who are difference makers, McDermott can lead us to where we want to go.  Teams win with good coaching.  But you need good players first.  And we sorely misjudged the  talent at key positions before this season.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.