Is McDermott a Wartime Consigliere?

DallasBillsFan1

6 hours ago, Bleedbuffaloblue said:

McDermott is the best coach the Bills have had since Marv Levy. Maybe the team won’t ultimately achieve the ultimate prize this year, but that does not diminish that one bit IMO. This is still a very young team for which the window for championships will remain open for quite some time.

The front office couldn’t accomplish all they wanted to do last offseason due to the low salary cap. That shouldn’t be a factor going forward.

A couple bad losses following a road loss in Tennessee by one foot and now people want to start questioning everything about this team from the GM and HC down. Most everything this team wanted to accomplish is still right in front of them. Some fans need to back away from the cliff!

Why would you compare McDermott to other Bills coaches?

Past Bills coaches are not some sort of standard worthy of comparison.

Seems like a recipe for failure.

How about comparing him to SB winning HCs in the last 20 years?  

How does he stack up there?

16 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

I don't. And none of us do.  That's the point.

You’re basing your point on something you have no knowledge about.  I am commenting on what I do know which is what McDIMWITT says to the media.  He sticks to his cuddling and PC commentary about his players.  He treats them like elementary school kids rather than professional athletes. Other coaches like Arians and Belichick DO call out players from time to time.  Hell I’ve heard Arians call out Brady last year.  All Brady did was win another ring afterwards.  Not comparing anyone else to Brady but you know what I mean.  God forbid one grown man sends a message to another grown man through the media.  How about a little pressure?  How about issuing a challenge for this team?  Everything must be discussed in the corners and shadows because the players feelings cannot be compromised.  Not for a second.

• Disagree 1

6 minutes ago, KeLLy1278 said:

You’re basing your point on something you have no knowledge about.  I am commenting on what I do know which is what McDIMWITT says to the media.  He sticks to his cuddling and PC commentary about his players.  He treats them like elementary school kids rather than professional athletes. Other coaches like Arians and Belichick DO call out players from time to time.  Hell I’ve heard Arians call out Brady last year.  All Brady did was win another ring afterwards.  Not comparing anyone else to Brady but you know what I mean.  God forbid one grown man sends a message to another grown man through the media.  How about a little pressure?  How about issuing a challenge for this team?  Everything must be discussed in the corners and shadows because the players feelings cannot be compromised.  Not for a second.

No...you're commenting on something you have no knowledge about.  None of us do.  Just because McD doesn't call out players in front of the media doesn't mean he doesn't call them out or doesn't challenge them.  I don't recall Belichick ever calling any of his players out publicly.  Arians did comment on his thoughts about Brady one time last year.  I remember that presser.  But moreso you hear coaches talking in generalizations...for example, Arians saying his players play stupid football.  That's what McD did.  He said his players weren't physical at the point of attack and committed costly penalties.  It's not a matter of players feelings.  It's a matter of good, effective coaching and communication.

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

No...you're commenting on something you have no knowledge about.  None of us do.  Just because McD doesn't call out players in front of the media doesn't mean he doesn't call them out or doesn't challenge them.  I don't recall Belichick ever calling any of his players out publicly.  Arians did comment on his thoughts about Brady one time last year.  I remember that presser.  But moreso you hear coaches talking in generalizations...for example, Arians saying his players play stupid football.  That's what McD did.  He said his players weren't physical at the point of attack and committed costly penalties.  It's not a matter of players feelings.  It's a matter of good, effective coaching and communication.

Again.. you are speculating about what Sean MAY be saying behind closed doors.  None of us know.  But what we do know is what he says in his pressers and besides saying next to nothing, he also contradicts himself.  For example, he said that the team wasn’t good at the point of attack yet he says that the Bills are a physical team.  They sure looked physical.  So physical that the stadium was empty by halftime.

• Eyeroll 1

7 hours ago, Bleedbuffaloblue said:

McDermott is the best coach the Bills have had since Marv Levy. Maybe the team won’t ultimately achieve the ultimate prize this year, but that does not diminish that one bit IMO. This is still a very young team for which the window for championships will remain open for quite some time.

The front office couldn’t accomplish all they wanted to do last offseason due to the low salary cap. That shouldn’t be a factor going forward.

A couple bad losses following a road loss in Tennessee by one foot and now people want to start questioning everything about this team from the GM and HC down. Most everything this team wanted to accomplish is still right in front of them. Some fans need to back away from the cliff!

Young team? Cmon man. That was the excuse three years ago. Many of the best players are already extended or on their second contracts. The only starter on defense with less than 3 years is Rousseau.  Brown is the only rookie seeing playing time on offense and Davis is a second year guy. Otherwise they are actually old at WR and experienced at OT and C.

The time to win is now. Beane screwed up not getting more talent and keeping his picks for next year.  The SB window will slam shut soon when all these extensions kick in.

37 minutes ago, KeLLy1278 said:

Again.. you are speculating about what Sean MAY be saying behind closed doors.  None of us know.  But what we do know is what he says in his pressers and besides saying next to nothing, he also contradicts himself.  For example, he said that the team wasn’t good at the point of attack yet he says that the Bills are a physical team.  They sure looked physical.  So physical that the stadium was empty by halftime.

I agree with you that what McD says in his pressers is vanilla and doesn't offer much...but you are concluding that he talks the same way to the team.  He's not coaching the press.  As to contradicting himself...he did say the Bills are a physical team...but they lost their individual physical battles, i.e. the Colts were more physical.  That's not a contradiction.  That's a comment on his team.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.