When does McD go on the hot seat?

DrDawkinstein

2 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

I agree with all of this, save fir the part about Addison costing us a first down.  We had a PI on Klein that was declined on the same play.  

Still, the points are well taken.  It’s hard enough to win in this league.  Then, probably a third of our team is not protected from an easily preventable reason to miss multiple games.   I know McD takes COVID seriously — his was the only family masked on a flight to Orlando after last season and before COVID hit.  And yet he WR3 blabs all over social media about freedom this and constitution that, LT1 darn near died and is probably still not back to good after his bout with COVID, PR1 treated it like a joke until he got his wake up call, LG1 felt the same way, and then got vaxxed, but not until he lost 20 pounds without telling his bosses, LG2 had his own COVID bout, RG2 is forced into action and is playing like a space cadet, RT1 inconveniently misses two games after his dust up with COVID, 1 tech DT 1 did the same thing, RB1 is beyond casual with the ball, the OC refuses to feed Diggs, and franchise QB1 is under constant duress.  It is a freaking mess right now. 

The reason McD mentioned the Addison call was because that's a no-brain-stupid gotdamn play.    PI is often a random call.   

But yeah.........this team is not playing "process" football..........and there has been a lot of chaos caused by decisions not to be vaxxed.

• Like (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea… def seems like something is up in the locker room… felt that way after the loss to Jax a couple weeks ago.

What’s up in the locker room? An utter lack of week to week focus is what’s up. They don’t look at all ready to play and haven’t on quite a few occasions. This was evident in the Opener. Their opponents have been less talented but if ANY of them show up to play, the Bills immediately wilt. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

McD is in way over his head. Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face. Unfortunately in the NFL you get punched in the face a lot! McD has zero answers.

He's been rough lately no doubt.

But he usually finds a way to rally the team.

Remember in 2017 when they got pumped 3 games in a row? Somehow he found a way to rally the team and break the playoff drought.

Definitely looking bleak after today, but I never count out a MCD coached team.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

What’s up in the locker room? An utter lack of week to week focus is what’s up. They don’t look at all ready to play and haven’t on quite a few occasions. This was evident in the Opener. Their opponents have been less talented but if ANY of them show up to play, the Bills immediately wilt. 

I completely agree with this.  I don’t know WTF is going on, but my

comment today leaving that fiasco was that we are not sharp.  Save for Cody Ford, there has been no consequence for poor, unfocused play.  19 should be the first example of that this week.  26 should have felt it a long time ago.   94 apparently is a problem in that respect, too.  Enough is enough. 

• Like (+1) 2

I hated the title of this thread, but I found it difficult to disagree with the OP's criticism of this team's fundamental flaws. They aren't executing the basics. And I guess that falls on the coach. 

Of course, McD gets more time to sort it out. I think coaching changes would need to start on the offensive side of the ball, if anything.

• Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Without getting into details I think they took the opener way too lightly.   Coaching staff on down.  Taking the day off that Thursday was a bad idea, as was screwing around the Friday before that game.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

.my take is that McDermott is Pissed.  The pretty clear implication is that they’re not vaccinated and he’s not a a happy camper about losing them for potentially avoidable reasons.

So this will be a pretty big test for him as HC if true. 2 guys that are being selfish and un-process-like, but that are also indispensable to your team for wins.

48 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The difference may be that the Bills reportedly have one of the lowest vax rates in the league.    If only 60-70% are vaxxed.........that's a lot of unvaccinated players.

That could be a point if true, but Beane said it was 91%.  McDermott said it was “in the single digits”.  Math says largest single digit being 9, 53 reg + 16 ps players =69 so minimum vax rate consistent with “single digits” is 87%.  91% would be 6.

Of course, that doesn’t rule out your hypothesis - depending upon who those 6 (91%) players are and how they behave, but is the difference between 6 and 3 or 4 significant?  I dunno

It did seem clear to me that McDermott was pissed off in his presser when he said “Respect their decisions, I’m going to talk about the guys who played”

48 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

And what we are seeing is a Bills team that does not play disciplined, complementary football.    

The game today turned,  IMO,  on a ridiculously selfish play by Mario Addison where he decided to fake that he was pushed into Carson Wentz so he could take a pointless cheap shot at him.  

Nothing to disagree about there!

9 minutes ago, NJKBillsfan said:

I think the OP could be right.

If a team goes from Super Bowl favorites to potentially missing the playoffs (with an expanded 7 teams).... doesn't that at least put the coach on the hot seat?

yeah I think it’s time  to rebuild.  These comments are insane. Every year there are 31 coaches who couldn’t win the SB. Get a grip. 

6 minutes ago, Best Williams Available said:

So this will be a pretty big test for him as HC if true. 2 guys that are being selfish and un-process-like, but that are also indispensable to your team for wins.

It will hopefully be a moot point shortly.  Once they come back, they aren’t subject to daily testing for the next 90 days. 

43 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

McD is in way over his head. Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face. Unfortunately in the NFL you get punched in the face a lot! McD has zero answers.

Dude went to the AFC title game last year.  Ha? 

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Depending how the colts finish this year, if they miss the playoffs I truly think he’ll be fired. 

maybe McD will be available and we can switch coaches.  This thread is pure garbage. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think maybe the  Covid issue is a valid point that could be lingering in the locker room. If it’s single digit like some have figured out  we have a number of prominent players in those digits..

We probably have a portion who believe in the vax. I think Hughes was pretty outspoken about the importance of it. 

We know Dion had it and we think by all accounts his play has suffered. 

Then I wonder how many maybe not wanted to get the vax but did it for the better good of the team.

Then you probably have those players  who see it as doing it for the better good for the team or believe in it look at other teams who are close to 100 percent vaccinated. That would be pretty frustrating as a competitor. 

It’s got to be frustrating that we are in playoff hunt mode Star is missing when we need him most. Spencer clearly brings something to the line and we don’t seemingly have anything worth a damn behind these two guys. I thought we needed to prove we could win despite them but im not so sure. 

Maybe this is reading way too much into this, I don’t know but I bring up this quote from way earlier in the year. How many of us really thought we might slow down Taylor today  without Star?

It’s very frustrating,” said McDermott. “There’s people’s livelihoods at stake, in terms of people’s jobs, and their performance is judged off wins and losses, or how well a person does X or Y, and some of that is dependent on other members of the team. That’s why this is a team game, and being able to count on people is important.

“If this were a real week [in the regular season], having the players out that we’ve had, that makes it hard to win games that way.”

I think we will be looking for a replacement for Star and This is Beasleys last year given his age and stance. 

Spencer is important but I agree with others who recognized how outspoken he was on Instagram. I noticed it as well.  He has dialed it back a bit. 

Edited by loveorhatembillsfan4life

2 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Losing mentality. The options should not be McDermott or something bad like we had before.

McDermott should NOT be judged on what happened before him. He should be judged against the best in the league right now. The "just good enough" and "at least it's not as bad as it used to be" attitude in the fan base in Buffalo is pathetic.

I'm not saying they are good enough. They need to improve. The line problems could've been addressed at the trade deadline if they felt there was a serious enough. The defense was missing 2 solid players in Star and Tremaine. Spencer Brown missing off the line hurts too. Josh had 1 really bad pick but other than that seemed( off the first watch) to have enough time to deal today. I dont want a run dominant team but if you only move the ball 1 way teams can sell out to stop it. McDermott usually has them ready to play. Thats been proven up until the last few loses. When I compare McDermott to past coaches it might be a little bit of the billsy mindset of the past but what it really comes down to is we've got a coach that for the most part has only been beneficial since hiring. 

MCD is Marvin Lewis.   And this team is headed toward being the Marvin Lewis Bengals.  Talented, but nothing special.  Will beat up inferior teams and perhaps put a surprise upset or two, but make no impact in the playoffs, etc.  I hope this is not the case, but this is certainly the teams trajectory. 

Edited by RyanC883
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.