For All The Young Bills Fans Wanting to Put to Bed The 90s Comparisons

thronethinker

4 minutes ago, Ray Finkel said:

You also never heard we need a dome.  We used the weather to our advantage.  

I think the dome talk has much to do with the fact that Allen has seemed to struggle in some inclement conditions already early in his career. So I understand fans who want to advocate for a covered stadium to maximize Allen’s talent. Personally I don’t want a dome or roof, I prefer the outdoor atmosphere, but I get why some fans press for it.

1 minute ago, JoPoy88 said:

I think the dome talk has much to do with the fact that Allen has seemed to struggle in some inclement conditions already early in his career. So I understand fans who want to advocate for a covered stadium to maximize Allen’s talent. Personally I don’t want a dome or roof, I prefer the outdoor atmosphere, but I get why some fans press for it.

I guess that long-term you’re right. We shouldn’t build a stadium based on the talent of 1 QB, but it is pretty frustrating.

The problem is that Beane built the 2000 Colts in Buffalo and it’s not working.

20 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

This is it.  Some people said we were the pre-season favorite to win the SB and it went to everyone's head, I think.

We don't know where this team is at in its career path.  What if it is 1988 right now (relative to the last regime)! 

We might still be 2 or 3 years away from our first SB appearance, but it might be one of 4, and we might win 3 of them.

I can wait, as long as the big picture stays strong.

Last year we won 13 games in a wierd covid year with no fans. Our OL was poor but Josh was able to mask all that. This year teams are clearly using tape to ignore our run game and use more cover2. This year our OL has struggled just as much as last season but it's been more magnified. Constant wind and rain games in Buffalo won't help.

29 minutes ago, Sweats said:

When was that?.....oh, last year when they didnt make it to the SB.

A SB Bills team that didnt make it to the SB........................................................................................rolls eyes

KC 33 Buff 6 took place on 10/7/91.  For those wondering, that was the second Super Bowl season.  Think Nigerian Nightmares...

13 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

"Seemed to struggle?. He's literally played poorly in every rain/wind combo game. His canon arm is NOT the great weather equalizer that everyone expected. I think Buffalo will drastically regret not building a dome or retractable roof. 

JMHO

• Haha (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

but another dumb move by this idiot GM has put expectations and pressure on him he'll never reach and why I always felt it was laughable to extend him so soon.

Stop with this,  there was no other option than but to assure the player that can be your franchise QB,  is  the only way to prevent others teams to sign him. 

And if you hadn't, by next year you would be  talking about how silly it was not to sign him, the amount of money is the problem, but those are the parameters of the league

5 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

A lot of us were saying this during the offseason, but yet the O-line and RB1 were stubbornly not upgraded. I think maybe McClappity is in control of the draft, and not Beane.

Maybe Pegula needs to change that.

Beane isn’t a football guy. Of course he’s going to give McD reigns on the draft. He graduated from UNCW Wilmington with a sports management/business degree and then had friends land him the job in Carolina.

Theres nothing that shows he’s a football guy at all in his career.

He may very well be a quick study, but wasn’t he under Gettleman? Look what he did to the Giants.

16 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

We are not a physical team on either side of the ball.  Its that simple.  You need toughness at every position.  When was the last time we bludgeoned a team into submission??  Watch George Kittle block someone at TE.  Then watch Dawson Knox.  Our D line was an embarrassment today.  We had nothing.  No space eaters.  Sure we missed Star.  But Phillips Butler and Oliver sucked.  And our DE's were no better.  A lot of long guys.  Need some bulk.  Need some meanness too.  Football can still be a street brawl. 

We are missing some serious juice.  You don't come out in a dogfight for the division and get wupped by 4 TD's at home against anybody.  We were not prepared to go into battle today.  That should never happen.  O line and D lines are soft.  Only guy on either side of the ball w talent is Spencer Brown.  Oliver occasionally.  But not big enuf to make a consistent difference at his position.  Klein the toughest guy on the team.   We will be lucky to make the playoffs this year.  I don't see it right now.      

11 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

You are stupid.  Kelly was a beast.  If he played today he would throw for 5,000 yards per season.  D lineman killed QB's back in the day.  Just a ridiculous statement you made.  

No the talent around Kelly made him a beast. Andre Reed, Lofton, Thomas, Tasker, Kent Hull etc. also he had a HOF defense as well. You put Kelly on this team and his stats would be mediocre 

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

All QB's have troble in rain and wind, especially wind.

Spending an extra 500 mill of taxpayers' money on this issue is seriously asinine.

Allen would play better in the rain and win if the offense could actually run the ball.

We'll see. Like I said be careful what you ask for. And not all qbs play bad in the rain/wind as Mahomes can attest last season. 

10 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

"Seemed to struggle?. He's literally played poorly in every rain/wind combo game. His canon arm is NOT the great weather equalizer that everyone expected. I think Buffalo will drastically regret not building a dome or retractable roof. 

JMHO

I was trying to be diplomatic but yeah, Josh isn’t the same player in bad conditions.

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

He's still young but you can't honestly believe this dude is worth $250 Million and say it with a straight face.

What big games has he won or carried this team on his back outside of perhaps the playoff game last year against this same Colts team?

Again, he's good and far from the problem here but the idol worship is laughable.

Last thanksgiving game comes to mind where Josh destroyed the Cowboys.  

Edited by Weatherman
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beast said:

Ummm…….yes, Kelly threw for over 3,000 yards MULTIPLE times. Cripes.

No he didn’t, go look at his stats. He never had a 4,000 yard season his whole career with us. 

8 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I think Allen is better than Kelly. There are two people Kelly had that we don’t that would put us over the edge. Thurman Thomas and Bruce Smith. 

Also James Lofton, Andre Reed and Kent Hull at Center. Also Steve Tasker and Keller

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

He’s right though. Allen is a way better Athlete and QB than Kelly ever was. Kelly never threw over 3,000 yards his whole career here in Buffalo. 

Again…READ what you posted.

Kelly threw for 3,000 yards plus MULTIPLE times in his career.

And 3,000:plus was looked upon as the gold standard in those days.

1 hour ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

If Allen is playing in bad weather he cannot rely on the running game like Kelly could. Josh needs O-Line upgrades and RB upgrades really badly.

Yep. Kelly had All-Pros up and down the o-line, but a RB would could not only take over a game on the ground, but also as a receiver. Josh has neither. In addition, Kelly also had a defense that could get the eff of the field. 

1 hour ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

If Allen is playing in bad weather he cannot rely on the running game like Kelly could. Josh needs O-Line upgrades and RB upgrades really badly.

We are a 1 dimension team. If you stop Allen with Cover 2 or the weather is bad, the Bills become exposed. This loss is on McBeane. 

Edited by Saint Doug

4 hours ago, Governor said:

I’m 46 and even at a very young age I knew Kelly was never gonna get it done. I wanted him benched for Reich.

Turns out I was right. He “was” a low character guy that had a substance abuse problem and was a pretty awful person.

Kids are smart.

Ridiculous statement.  I truly wonder if you are as old as you say you are.  It was all Kelly’s fault that the team didn’t win rings?  I’m not in the mood to even revisit this nonsense but to compare Josh Allen to Jim Kelly on the field at this point is comical.  I suppose you already have Josh penciled in for the hall of fame.  Even Josh Allen would laugh at what you said.

3 hours ago, Beast said:

Again…READ what you posted.

Kelly threw for 3,000 yards plus MULTIPLE times in his career.

And 3,000:plus was looked upon as the gold standard in those days.

Reading what some of these millennials write is truly funny. Allen is already in the hall of fame don’cha know?!? 🤣  

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, P Riv said:

The 88-94 teams were LOADED with talent at every position group and had a dominant OL, this team can't say that.  

The players seem to have the same attitude as most of the fan base in that 13-3 was considered the floor and we were only destined for greater things.  Now the reality that every season is different and you have to be humble, work your asses off, etc. is fully setting in.  

With the fans it is setting in. However, there is no evidence that it is setting in with the players. From Dawkins to Allen to Knox, I noticed a disturbing attitude in their postgame comments. They seem to still think they'll play well "when it counts" and act like this is no big deal. They seem arrogant, not humble.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

With the fans it is setting in. However, there is no evidence that it is setting in with the players. From Dawkins to Allen to Knox, I noticed a disturbing attitude in their postgame comments. They seem to still think they'll play well "when it counts" and act like this is no big deal. They seem arrogant, not humble.

Well what the ***** do you want them to do? Moan and groan over today’s loss and be completely bummed and depressed? That’s good that they’re being arrogant. I would be concerned if they just came out defeated and didn’t give a *****

14 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Well what the ***** do you want them to do? Moan and groan over today’s loss and be completely bummed and depressed? That’s good that they’re being arrogant. I would be concerned if they just came out defeated and didn’t give a *****

What we want them to do is humbly admit that they played like trash, didn't show up when it counted, and make a commitment to getting in right.  I thought that kind of accountability was directly implied, not sure why you choose to assume what you did.  

If they don't show some resolve, this season is going to be derailed by soft attitude, really nothing else.  Whatever changes they choose to make after the season should be interesting, considering we have about 1/3 the cap space available that NE has.  50% of our cap is eaten up by 8-9 players.  

Edited by P Riv

26 minutes ago, P Riv said:

What we want them to do is humbly admit that they played like trash, didn't show up when it counted, and make a commitment to getting in right.  I thought that kind of accountability was directly implied, not sure why you choose to assume what you did.  

If they don't show some resolve, this season is going to be derailed by soft attitude, really nothing else.  Whatever changes they choose to make after the season should be interesting, considering we have about 1/3 the cap space available that NE has.  50% of our cap is eaten up by 8-9 players.  

You’ve heard of contract restructures correct?? And Josh even said himself he’ll restructure his contract in order to

get more talent here 

8 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

You’ve heard of contract restructures correct?? And Josh even said himself he’ll restructure his contract in order to

get more talent here 

Sounds great, but I'm a skeptic who needs to see it first. 

.A front running team with that's top heavy with contracts won't be a front runner for long.    

21 hours ago, thronethinker said:

For All The Young Bills Fans Wanting to Put to Bed The 90s Comparisons, forget about it. The 90s teams were never  out of a game so often. The 90s teams had a killer instinct and were never out of it until the last minute. Todays team does not have that, and it is not not even close. Josh may be great, but this team as a whole is awful compared to 90-94. 

From 1992 alone:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/202111210buf.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199210110rai.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199212270oti.htm

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.