Who to start?  

174 members have voted

1. 1. Who to start?

• Ford RG / Williams RT
    • Williams RG / Hart RT

• Process changed the title to Bills Sign Bobby Hart ...Edit: Added poll
3 minutes ago, Process said:

Added a poll.

I actually think we should start Hart. Would rather keep Ford off the field and I think Josh does better vs edge pressure than pressure up the middle. 

That's what I would do and why they signed Hart...he knows the playbook.  Either than or Doyle is starting and Hart is our swing tackle.

1 minute ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Please, you all know my stand by position by now when news like this comes out.

Meaning I am about to punch myself in the nuts, repeatedly and as hard as I can, until I pass out or throw up. 

...then I might eat cake.

Eat the cake first, it'll make the whole thing a little better.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

Imo they go with Doyle who will have a short leash to Hart if needed.  I like them keeping Williams at RG.  Allen is good at getting out of pressure around the edge.  Can’t really do anything when it comes up the middle.  Doyle just needs to push the defender around the edge past Allen.  Give Allen his preferred roll out lane to his right. 

Just now, JPL7 said:

Why aren't they playing Ryan Bates?? The coaches go out of their way to speak well of him. In his limited action I have seen he does a good job. I don't get it. 

It’s the whole “who would play center if both he and Morse go down.”  For baseball fans, this is the old manager’s phobia about using his backup catcher as a pinch hitter - what if my starting catcher gets hurt!! This has literally happened no more than a handful of

times in 120 years of professional baseball. 

1 hour ago, TheProcess said:

I wish they’d just play Bates at RG or RT. 

The lack of opportunity for Ryan Bates with all the problems this year is "a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma; but perhaps there is a key." .... Maybe he is just not as good as we fantasize?  ..... Or MAYBE, just MAYBE, this is the week?

Edited by CSBill
  • Like (+1) 1

From his wiki page (did he edit it?):

Hart started all 16 games in 2019. In 2020, he played in 14 games, starting 13, and was ranked 35th of 52 offensive tackles by Pro Football Focus.[9]

Hey, despite the horrific PFF score for about 2 Games of action this year, It turns out that he was solidly below average just last year!  Ray of hope …

EDIT: I’m not a PFF subscriber so I can’t verify this, but it seems weird That there would be only 52

rated OTs last year. I mean, there’s  64 starting tackles by definition. Maybe the wiki editor is setting a

minimum snap count that

makes Hart look less awful. 

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Haha (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Imo they go with Doyle who will have a short leash to Hart if needed.  I like them keeping Williams at RG.  Allen is good at getting out of pressure around the edge.  Can’t really do anything when it comes up the middle.  Doyle just needs to push the defender around the edge past Allen.  Give Allen his preferred roll out lane to his right. 

Sounds good to me

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Ok, so I thought “maybe everyone’s wrong, the contrarians at PFF probably have him as at least adequate.”

No. No they don’t. Only 101 snaps this year, but in those snaps they have him rated the LOWEST I HAVE EVER

SEEN on PFF. 30.4. For PFF a score in the 50s is kind of replacement level. 
Ugh. 

Ford & Hart are both horrible. You might as well leave Williams at RG and see if Bates can play RT?  I just don't trust Doyle and Hart/Ford shouldn't even see the field.

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

He was Fine in Spot duty in Tenn.  So with him at RT, and Williams staying at RG. Keeps Ford off the field and the ***** show we saw in JAX away.

Agreed. Williams has been really bad at RT, so even though Hart isn't good, it keeps things the most effective. That way you don't have to start Ford AND you don't have to move Williams to a spot he has struggled. Win-Lose instead of Lose-Lose.

Just now, Rigotz said:

It's incredible how quickly people forget how well Darryl Williams played at RT last year.

Bobby Hart is a dumpster fire at RT and an emergency-use only player.

There is zero chance we play Bobby Hart over Darryl Williams at RT this week.

It's incredible that you have forgotten how terrible Williams has been at RT THIS YEAR!

• Like (+1) 1

Maybe it's like the old tee-ball philosophy where, since no kid could actually catch the ball consistently, you just put the fattest Engelberg behind the plate and hope the ball hits him instead of going all the way back to the backstop. If they can just have 650 lbs of fat and slop on the right side standing in the way of rushers, maybe that gives Josh just enough time. I see lots of quick strikes to Bease, Diggs, and Knox.

Also, keep Moss in to help. 

49 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

That's what I would do and why they signed Hart...he knows the playbook.  Either than or Doyle is starting and Hart is our swing tackle.

Could be.  I think the most likely thing is that Brown is out for the next two games.  Hart might be insurance for that reason (behind Doyle), or he might be the swing tackle bc they’ve seen enough of Doyle for now.  But, bottom line, doesn’t look good for brown this week or next.  

Just now, SectionC3 said:

Could be.  I think the most likely thing is that Brown is out for the next two games.  Hart might be insurance for that reason (behind Doyle), or he might be the swing tackle bc they’ve seen enough of Doyle for now.  But, bottom line, doesn’t look good for brown this week or next.  

Edit - also suggests that Williams might stay at guard this week (which is what I would do and give bates a shot at RT).  Who knows.  Either way I can’t see them trotting out the starting five from the Jax game. 

1 hour ago, mushypeaches said:

Does this mean we couldn't locate the whereabouts of Vlad Ducasse?

ahh yess  Bobby Hart.. Vlad Ducasse..there's a familiarity and comradery to those names.......They both sucked...oh my goodness what do they see in Bobby Hart...I really wanna know........

Edited by Muppy

36 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

This is what coaching is all about.  The offensive coaches will need to scheme to protect whomever plays rt tackle.  Hopefully Doyle is at least marginal.  (for God sakes he was drafted in the 5th round out of a MAC school so the team had to have seen something they like.)  And agree to keep Williams at RT.  Overall the offensive line play in this era is absolutely abysmal.  The Falcons O line last nite was pathetic.  Sad to see Matt Ryan going down like that.  And how about the Raiders Alex Leatherwood at RG.  He suks and was drafted in the 1st round by the Raiders.  And their RT #75 is just as bad.  One of the problems I think is the O lineman are just too frikin tall.  Why the hell would you want someone over 6'5 playing O line.  They get absolutely no leverage w their blocks.  Build an O line with a bunch of reasonably athletic guys between 6'3 and 6'5 across, and you will have great success.  For my money the best O lineman at least at tackle to play in the modern era are Tony Bosselli Anthony Munoz and Jason Peters in his prime.  None over 6'5.  And John Hannah at guard was probably 6'3.  From the mouth of Paup.  Go Bills!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.