Najee Harris didn't realize "you could tie"

Taro Nimbus

In Najee's defense, NFL overtime rules are stupid. I'd at least give each team the possibility of receiving the ball. If still tied after 10 minutes, go to the college overtime.

However, overall, I would like to see the NFL adopt a modified college system. Instead of starting at the 25, it's the 50 yard line. The 50 probably means they need at least one first down to attempt a field goal, but most likely need 12-15 total yards for most kickers to have a chance. 

• Dislike 1

32 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

In Najee's defense, NFL overtime rules are stupid. I'd at least give each team the possibility of receiving the ball. If still tied after 10 minutes, go to the college overtime.

However, overall, I would like to see the NFL adopt a modified college system. Instead of starting at the 25, it's the 50 yard line. The 50 probably means they need at least one first down to attempt a field goal, but most likely need 12-15 total yards for most kickers to have a chance. 

Barf. College overtime is by far the lamest thing in sports.

1 minute ago, Max Fischer said:

Not as lame as ties.

Why? What's wrong with a tie? They are rare. You usually only have one or two a season, if any. If it was happening every week I could get on board, but I see no problem in ties with how they currently happen.

I feel like teams deserve to tie if they aren't able to score more points than their opponent.

I've started to think the NFL should eliminate overtime outside of playoff games. Then in that case, just tack on extra quarters until there is a winner. You could set up some interesting decisions at the end of games, do you kick an extra point and settle for a tie, or go for two and risk a loss but possibly get the win?

No overtime rules I've seen strike me as "fair", they're all just kind of artificially grafted onto the game.

5 hours ago, MJS said:

Barf. College overtime is by far the lamest thing in sports.

4 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

Not as lame as ties.

Yeah, ties are lame.  But watching that Illinois/PennState fiasco where neither team could punch it in from the 2 yard line for like 6 OTs out of 9 was excrutiating--like watching a house fire.

33 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yeah, ties are lame.  But watching that Illinois/PennState fiasco where neither team could punch it in from the 2 yard line for like 6 OTs out of 9 was excrutiating--like watching a house fire.

House fires are much more exciting. 

• Like (+1) 1

How about this for an idea :

If a game is tied at the end of overtime, have a shootout with field goal kickers. Start at the 15 yard line. Each kicker takes a kick. Every kick counts as 3 points. If both teams kickers make the kick, move back 10 yards. Continue until someone misses. 

7 hours ago, MJS said:

Why? What's wrong with a tie? They are rare. You usually only have one or two a season, if any. If it was happening every week I could get on board, but I see no problem in ties with how they currently happen.

There have been a whopping 27 ties since the beginning of the Gerald Ford administration.  Roughly one every two seasons.

There are so many levels to this.

1. How can a future NFL player not have followed the NFL enough to know there are ties every year? You'd think these guys would at least be casual football fans. This is unbelievable.

2. How are overtime rules not addressed with the team at some point in training camp or otherwise?

3. How did no one on the sideline say anything until the end of overtime?

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.